SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-09, 07:38 AM   #76
Optimus Prime
Watch

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Where is the Tomi now……:hmm:
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 04:50 PM   #77
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Don't hold your breath waiting for this, guys.

Tomi has been working on this VIIC project for nearly two years now, off and on. He did come back to it from time to time to make a few changes and tease everyone with screen shots, when he wasn't completely scrapping everything and starting over from scratch like he's done before...twice.

About a year ago he did release one version of his VIIC but there was a bug in the 3D model of the turm. An invisible node was misplaced and causing enemy ships to "see" your u-boat when submerged at depths less than 20 meters (if I recall correctly, it might have been 15 m). Tomi abandoned that project after the bug was found. You can use the hull with one of the VIIC turms from GWX to fix this but the lower detail of the GWX turm looks out of place on the super-detailed VIIC hull or you can try your hand at fixing Tomi's turm.

I do believe your suppositions about Tomi moving on to work on SH4 are correct. I vaguely recall a remark from him that SH4 was the future but I can't swear to that.
Old 01-21-09, 05:02 PM   #78
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 103

Verrrdammmt!!!!
I was afraid about that

http://hosted.filefront.com/Lutzow1
lutzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 06:59 PM   #79
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
About a year ago he did release one version of his VIIC but there was a bug in the 3D model of the turm. An invisible node was misplaced and causing enemy ships to "see" your u-boat when submerged at depths less than 20 meters (if I recall correctly, it might have been 15 m). Tomi abandoned that project after the bug was found. You can use the hull with one of the VIIC turms from GWX to fix this but the lower detail of the GWX turm looks out of place on the super-detailed VIIC hull or you can try your hand at fixing Tomi's turm.
I recall finding this problem with the VIID turm... the invisible node turns out to be controllable and there was the bounding-box configuration which was the ultimate cause of the "visibility" of the U-boat to enemy ships at -15m. However, in the end we fixed the VIID turm and all was well (as in we are now using it reliably in missions). I wonder if this is the same problem here with the VIIC/41?
Yes.
Old 01-21-09, 07:00 PM   #80
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
I recall finding this problem with the VIID turm... the invisible node turns out to be controllable and there was the bounding-box configuration which was the ultimate cause of the "visibility" of the U-boat to enemy ships at -15m. However, in the end we fixed the VIID turm and all was well (as in we are now using it reliably in missions). I wonder if this is the same problem here with the VIIC/41?
Possibly so
I know Tomi is very busy with his engine mod
Be nice to see a conpleted hi rez version in SH4 able use mines also

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 09:51 AM   #81
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

i really cant wait!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 10:01 AM   #82
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
What I see! I'ts good to see this thread again. I reding this before I become a member here, and this was wery interesting. Nice to read this again. Back to life.