SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-18, 06:47 AM   #1
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Icon8 Linux is a pain!!

After a year of pain with Ubuntu Linux I think I will wipe it off my drive!!
I have had so much pain with it, the file system if horrid, why I can't copy folders is beyond me!! Using File Manager(or what ever it is called) how do you copy from one folder to another when you can only open one instance of it??? What ever I click on the left pane shows the contents on the right. . . Useless!!!
I tried to update to a new version and it errors during the update so really it is probably stuffed.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 06:49 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

??? I migrated my databses from Windows times to Linux Mint and had no issues...?
Old 11-26-18, 08:51 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yeah Reece, we need to get you in contact with Dr Penguin, and see if they can't help you out! My only issue with Linux is that the file system view is virtual, and dum-dums like me can't see when they're about to run out of HD space for Home...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 04:15 PM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
After a year of pain with Ubuntu Linux I think I will wipe it off my drive!!
I have had so much pain with it, the file system if horrid, why I can't copy folders is beyond me!! Using File Manager(or what ever it is called) how do you copy from one folder to another when you can only open one instance of it??? What ever I click on the left pane shows the contents on the right. . . Useless!!!
I tried to update to a new version and it errors during the update so really it is probably stuffed.
When I want to open up two instances of a folder, this is what I do
1. I navigate to my documents folder and open up the sub folder I want.
2. On the left is an table of icons one of which is my documents folder
3. I right click on that documents folder and choose open in new tab
4. On this second tab, I navigate to the second folder I want to open.

I now have two folders open, one in each tab. If I wanted to, I could have opened each in a new window.

The key is to right click to open up the second folder. Otherwise, as you posted, it just closes the first folder and opens up the second folder.

Does that help you?
Old 11-26-18, 06:24 PM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Thanks Platapus, that is a big help, I'm so used to the file structure in windows. I also saved some HTML pages complete with folders but if I try copying them to a usb stick I get a fatal error trying to copy the folders, who knows why.
I still use my XP machine 90% of the time, my new gaming laptop is dual boot Win 10 and Linux, neither will play most of my old games and certainly won't run my HF signal decoding software or radio/SDR software.
I have to somehow figure how I can change the laptop to Win 10 and Win XP, the guy that did it is not available and used a weird boot manager called GNU GRUB.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 06:56 PM   #6
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

You are using Ubuntu 16.04 with the Unity Desktop, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
When I want to open up two instances of a folder, this is what I do
1. I navigate to my documents folder and open up the sub folder I want.
2. On the left is an table of icons one of which is my documents folder
3. I right click on that documents folder and choose open in new tab
4. On this second tab, I navigate to the second folder I want to open.

I now have two folders open, one in each tab. If I wanted to, I could have opened each in a new window.

The key is to right click to open up the second folder. Otherwise, as you posted, it just closes the first folder and opens up the second folder.

Does that help you?

From what I remember of Gnome/Unity, this sounds like good advice.

Reece, you're not alone. I tried Unity on Ubuntu when I built a machine for someone else a few years ago, at the suggestion of a IT friend, and I DID. NOT. LIKE. IT.
When I saw your topic title, I was thinking: "What happened to get a title like that..."
But after reading it, I can understand your feelings on the matter.

Using "Dolphin" the KDE file manager, which behaves a bit like "My Computer" on Win98/XP, I can open more than one, and it lets me do all those things that I want to do.
(EXCEPT: Veiw Directories/Folders that require ROOT access. I stick to the Terminal for "root business".)

If you are looking for something more familiar:
You should be able to install Dolphin in Unity without too much trouble (you don't need all of KDE just to get Dolphin).
That *may* be the way to go...

I really need to re-install some virtual machines to be able to troubleshoot things like this.

BUT, I'm holding off as I *may* make the jump to Gentoo...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-18, 10:40 AM   #7
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

Or you could try Cinnamon under Mint - I moved there from KDE (after the KMail debacle). I find Mint quite friendly for users and reasonably powerful enough for dev work (postgres, apache, python and so on).
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 03:23 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

A file has a different definition in Linux that in Windows. In Linux EVERYTHING is a file, the disk drives, the wireless card, the sound card, absolutely everything is a file. And all Linux file managers that I'm a aware of, Nautilus, Dolphin, Thunar, PC Man File Manager, there are many others, all allow you to open multiple windows and use tabs to manage multiple directories.

I would say all of them are superior to Windows Explorer, even for managing Windows directories. If the Gnome foundation gets its way, however, Gnome and its Nautilus file manager will be so simplified that it will no longer manage files at all. In fact, the Gnome team is very proud to announce that you will no longer be able to put program shortcuts on your desktop soon...... This is called modern streamlining.

But in Linux we don't care because we can trashcan the Gnome desktop and replace it with one of dozens of alternatives. I'm using the Deepin Desktop right now and for the most part love it.

For those directories in Linux that are system protected (not owned by you, but by the system), you can right-click the icon, choose launch as administrator, or enter the terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and type "Sudo Dolphin<enter>" You'll be prompted for your password and then you'll have god-like powers of utter destruction.

And remember, in Linux "S" is not equal to "s." They are two completely different characters. We've had fun with that in FOTRSU "data" and "Data" are two totally separate directories between which SH4 cannot discriminate because it's a Windows program. Makes for interesting times when I'm cooking up a new witches brew for the next version....

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-05-19 at 03:38 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote