SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-20, 12:54 PM   #1456
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I might give that one a whirl later today DanielCoffey. I find a quad, similar to what the Benhams had for rear mounts, but I have not found a "plain" quad for the forward mounts. I am curious about the structure on top of the torpedo launchers, and will have to attempt to satisfy my curiosity about those... Anyway, close-up detail of the area on the Benham, from a Wikipedia image,

... notice that the forward set faces aft, and the rear set faces forward...
... and here's what I have found in guns.dat thus far, but notice the "pivot" is not "centered":

I wonder if the structure on top of the launchers is a "targeting" location, and one of those controlled both launchers on either side... ??

Anyway, the Class initially had the four torpedo mounts, but in 1943 some re-fits would land the 2 aft mounts, and added more AA and depth charge racks, according to what I am reading at https://destroyerhistory.org/goldplater/benhamclass/ so we're fine with what they have. If we wanted, we could try a dated load-out, but the main problem is of course finding the "parts"... lol - and what you did for the sil file would be fine.

Edit: In this pic, it looks like the abaft launcher is facing aft... so apparently, they could fully rotate:

It looks like they have a line across to another ship, and might be taking on fuel, while the main deck is "awash"... "nothin' to it!"... notice also that the gun positions are manned...
Made a few slight adjustments

What do you think ?
Old 07-05-20, 03:07 PM   #1457
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Started a new career as of last night, documents folder deleted and game files checked, all OK.
Midway
15 January 1942, USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
.50 cal Machine Gun,
3" Stern Mount Deck Gun,
SJ, Surface Search Radar, (EMPTY),
SD Radar, Air Search Radar.

I will refuse all other boats until SJ radar is onboard this Gar, January 1944 will be the end game, I will document what and when it is offered, we shall see if your file upgrades are FUBAR or not Mr beanie.
Update, 2 equipment improvements, highlighted in lime.
2nd July 1942 , USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
20mm Machine Gun
3" Stern Mount Deck Gun,
SJ, Surface Search Radar, (EMPTY)
Improved SD Radar, Air Search Radar

Still no SJ radar yet, kept out of Midway base until the 1st July 1942, I can see already that we're going to have a problem with this bloody SJ Radar.
Question Why do I get SJ Radar on the boat if I start a career in June 1942 but don't get it on July 2 1942?
Old 07-05-20, 03:18 PM   #1458
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Made a few slight adjustments

What do you think ?
Ah-yesh indeedy, the 21TorpQuadBR_D & C from guns_radar_04... lol - did you use the "_dark" or regular?... lol - I tried substituting the "C" for the front mount via the eqp file, and ended up mostly below deck with it, which begs the question, "can you leave the AA mount and add a T03 & 4 near them, and set the dates for the torp launcher to "disappear" 19421231 and the AA to then appear 19430101", or something like that between then and say April of 1943? The AA would then go from NULL to active, and the 2 "new" launchers there would then become NULL (T03 and T04, or maybe A05 & A06). The abaft launchers were landed beginning early 1943. The DD rotated in for re-fits on quite a catch-as-catch-can basis until later in the war when there were more of them available to rotate for regular maintenance. The spawn rates and layer time limits will take care of those appearances.

I do like that though, and you are faster than me, fershure ferserttin...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 03:29 PM   #1459
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:

What was the first patrol's assignment? Do you remember the orders, or where you were being sent? Apply the 101_prBetaPatch_v1.1.7z mod found in Post #1215. Then empty the Save folder again, and try the same boat, same date, from the same place again, and see what it does. In the meantime, I'll dig into the Pearl Tambor and its 1941 assignments.

I believe I was being sent to the Marshall Islands for reconnisance. I will write back later with the results of the patch.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 03:42 PM   #1460
propbeanie

Quote:
Update, 2 equipment improvements, highlighted in lime.
2nd July 1942 , USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
20mm Machine Gun
3" Stern Mount Deck Gun,

Still no SJ radar yet, kept out of Midway base until the 1st July 1942, I can see already that we're going to have a problem with this bloody SJ Radar.
Question Why do I get SJ Radar on the boat if I start a career in June 1942 but don't get it on July 2 1942?
As I mentioned, it varies, but - did you start with the bathtub conn on the Grayling? Do you still have the same conn? The real Grayling got her SJ between August and October 1942 (at Pearl), and the game will do similar at times... In the game though, the SJ is June of 1942 (at the earliest), but the Improved SD doesn't come until March of 1943 (again, at the earliest), while the 20mm single is May of 1942... ?? How are you breaking these radars?... - I have not had issue one with getting an SJ on a Porpoise or Sargo, and have not gotten an Improved SD until much later, but I have not done a Gar or Tambor... let me look closer at the boats and conns themselves for that one. The Gar is a clone of the Tambor, in the game and in real life...

Edit: Ah-haa!... in a Save folder I have, there is an entry for Improved SD Radar at 800 renown points beginning July 1 of 1942... dig dig dig... I thought we had removed the "purchasing" of equipment early - but apparently did not remove the restriction of the equipment coming early... but there are several like that in UpgradePacks with the dates that co-incide with some of the reported issues, yet the upc file does not allow for that... wrench wrench cuss swear hammer hammer bigger-hammer etc... This is why Ducimus made so many "variants" of the radars, with basically one for each Class... cuss swear mutter - as for the failure of the SJ, much more digging is required. I've been concentrating on looking through the Gato files, not the Tambor. I still can't see the "leak" for the early SD though... did you lose 800 renown points when it was mounted? The game should be "asking questions" about that kind of stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I believe I was being sent to the Marshall Islands for reconnisance. I will write back later with the results of the patch.
Gotcha. Thanks. Be sure and delete the Save folder through Windows Explorer and see how it works, or if it doesn't... You do still have a back-up copy of your Save folder, correct?

Edit: the orders of Patrol Marshalls Early 02 would have been (updated in the patch file):
When in all manner ready you may depart Pearl. Proceed to the Marshall Islands chain and patrol the designated area for several days. You are to conduct anti-shipping operations, but we really need some eyes and ears on the Kwajalein Atoll area to see how built-up the Japanese installations there are or if they have anything there. We need reports on traffic patterns of both air and sea, as well as any shore assets you can see. Track the weather and tides accurately. Be careful. We suspect this is their main base in the Marshalls but are not certain. You may roam about the area freely, but must eventually complete the patrol in your assigned area. You are not to proceed any further south to avoid infringing on other submarines' assigned areas.||Enroute you are to run submerged when within 500 miles of an enemy air base during daylight hours. When on the surface at night, you are to run on one engine to conserve fuel. You are reminded to husband your torpedoes as well as fuel. Patrol the designated area for approximately ten (10) days, non-continuous. You are to continually maintain radio. We have no idea as to the IJN ASW capabilities. Be careful. You are on your own out there.
and you then have been sent to Maloelap / Wotje and then to Rangelap...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-05-20 at 03:49 PM. Reason: orders
Old 07-05-20, 03:58 PM   #1461
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
which begs the question, "can you leave the AA mount and add a T03 & 4 near them, and set the dates for the torp launcher to "disappear" 19421231 and the AA to then appear 19430101", or something like that between then and say April of 1943?

Why, yes you can.
Old 07-05-20, 05:44 PM   #1462
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
As I mentioned, it varies, but - did you start with the bathtub conn on the Grayling?
I wouldn't know the difference between a bathtub conn or a shower conn Mr beanie, I started out with what the game gives you on 15 January 1942 if that helps.

Quote:
Do you still have the same conn?
Yes

Quote:
did you lose 800 renown points when it was mounted? The game should be "asking questions" about that kind of stuff...
Yes
Old 07-05-20, 06:59 PM   #1463
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks. Be sure and delete the Save folder through Windows Explorer and see how it works, or if it doesn't... You do still have a back-up copy of your Save folder, correct?

Edit: the orders of Patrol Marshalls Early 02 would have been (updated in the patch file):
When in all manner ready you may depart Pearl. Proceed to the Marshall Islands chain and patrol the designated area for several days. You are to conduct anti-shipping operations, but we really need some eyes and ears on the Kwajalein Atoll area to see how built-up the Japanese installations there are or if they have anything there. We need reports on traffic patterns of both air and sea, as well as any shore assets you can see. Track the weather and tides accurately. Be careful. We suspect this is their main base in the Marshalls but are not certain. You may roam about the area freely, but must eventually complete the patrol in your assigned area. You are not to proceed any further south to avoid infringing on other submarines' assigned areas.||Enroute you are to run submerged when within 500 miles of an enemy air base during daylight hours. When on the surface at night, you are to run on one engine to conserve fuel. You are reminded to husband your torpedoes as well as fuel. Patrol the designated area for approximately ten (10) days, non-continuous. You are to continually maintain radio. We have no idea as to the IJN ASW capabilities. Be careful. You are on your own out there.
and you then have been sent to Maloelap / Wotje and then to Rangelap...
I deleted the save game folder and everything and I enabled the patch as well and the issue is still there. I did the same career path and choices.

That's the problem I am having.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 07-05-20, 08:48 PM   #1464
propbeanie

Quote:
I wouldn't know the difference between a bathtub conn or a shower conn Mr beanie, I started out with what the game gives you on 15 January 1942 if that helps.
Yes it does... The "bathtub" is the full, un-cut conn the boats were built with. The first "cuts" were made to the periscope shears and the cigarette deck sides. the 2nd set of "cuts" altered more of the aft portion and added a cut forward portion of the conn, and more AA mounts.

Yes
'K...

Yes
So our "date problem" isn't so much a date problem, as much as it is an incomplete previous edit from back when in the mod's lineage, and the equipment file seems to be the "back-feeder". We'll do some 'sperimenting there and... One last couple of questions though, is "did you have the opportunity to accept or decline the new 'Improved SD' radar, and does it function correctly on your boat?" Functionality might be a bit difficult to determine, since the original SD could go out a good distance, and the "Improved" version extended that, so you might not notice a difference anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I deleted the save game folder and everything and I enabled the patch as well and the issue is still there. I did the same career path and choices.

That's the problem I am having.
Look closely at your picture... there are multiple issues there. You have no dials, but you also do not have texture on the planes' wheels, and neither of the emergency "flashlights" above and to the left of the tracking table are right either, inside the glass light "circles" there... As you mentioned, the "Christmas" lights are dark, but notice also that the rectangular gauges below the depth gauges are blanked also, the tracking table has a "shift" to the map image there, as well as an issue with the "glass" of the tracker itself - even the phone to the left is only partially "skinned" - and to top it all off, you have an overhead lamp burnt out... Here is the interior of my Thresher on December 10, 1941 at Pearl:

Now, do you have LAA enabled correctly on the SH4.exe file? When I ran SH4 for that pic, I am on the laptop and have PhotoShopLE running, along with Vivaldi browser, on which the wife has 12+ windows open, shopping, and her resume for a new job application is open in Libre Office Writer, and it's running on Windows 10, so there is a lot going on, and I do not have issues with the display. But compare the two pix, and you've got more than just the dials missing there. Do you only have FotRSU and the patch running?

Old 07-05-20, 09:10 PM   #1465
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
Look closely at your picture... there are multiple issues there. You have no dials, but you also do not have texture on the planes' wheels, and neither of the emergency "flashlights" above and to the left of the tracking table are right either, inside the glass light "circles" there... As you mentioned, the "Christmas" lights are dark, but notice also that the rectangular gauges below the depth gauges are blanked also, the tracking table has a "shift" to the map image there, as well as an issue with the "glass" of the tracker itself - even the phone to the left is only partially "skinned" - and to top it all off, you have an overhead lamp burnt out... Here is the interior of my Thresher on December 10, 1941 at Pearl:

Now, do you have LAA enabled correctly on the SH4.exe file? When I ran SH4 for that pic, I am on the laptop and have PhotoShopLE running, along with Vivaldi browser, on which the wife has 12+ windows open, shopping, and her resume for a new job application is open in Libre Office Writer, and it's running on Windows 10, so there is a lot going on, and I do not have issues with the display. But compare the two pix, and you've got more than just the dials missing there. Do you only have FotRSU and the patch running?
I cannot recall ever enabling LAA! What a stupid move on my part!
This is my updated version of my modlist:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.1_EN
101_prBetaPatch_v1.1

Do I need to do a complete uninstall?

Old 07-05-20, 09:22 PM   #1466
propbeanie

Shouldn't have to. It might write bad data to the Save folder, but if it does, just delete that again and start over. Try it first though without deletion. Just open the LAA app that is in the FotRSU game's root folder after the mod activation, and plug SH4.exe file into it, and set SH4.exe to "True"... I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in the short form and the long form of the pdf files in the Support folder on how to do it... The game with FotRSU definitely needs LAA so that it can address more than the minuscule portion of system RAM the Windows OS normally allows it...

Old 07-05-20, 10:14 PM   #1467
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
One last couple of questions though, is "did you have the opportunity to accept or decline the new 'Improved SD' radar, and does it function correctly on your boat?"
If you mean was I back in the office and was it available as an upgrade then that's a yes, and it functioned as it should do.

Update, 1 Submarine improvement, highlighted in lime.
6th September 1942, USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
20mm Machine Gun
3" Stern Mount Deck Gun,
Half Cut Conning Tower

I'm not exactly sure about the name of it but it did mention something about some shears and something was cut off it, I was too busy thinking that they were going to send somebody round to my place to cut my bloody hedges for me to remember exactly what was being offered.

I can post a picture of the submarine the next time we go out on patrol if you need one.
Old 07-06-20, 01:56 AM   #1468
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Let's clarify the Save game situation. If you are wanting to trim, or pare-down the number of Saves in your game, you use the Save Game dialog, or interface, to do that. If you instead use Windows Explorer, the game gets confused by that.

If instead, you want to "clear" the Save data to begin anew with the game, you delete the Save folder with Windows Explorer, generally the C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 folder. Going from the way you describe, it sounds like you used the Save Game dialog to attempt to clear the Save folder, which leaves the main part of the game still in there. Nothing gets updated or cleared like that...

The idea behind copying the Save folder data and putting it elsewhere is so that if clearing the game's Save data by deleting the folder with Windows Explorer didn't work, you then had a back-up with which to restore what you had, if the deletion didn't work... I hope I didn't talk in a circle again... I confuse myself with verbosity...
Thanks for the assistance. I deleted the SH4 documents folder, restarted the system, and began another new career from Mare Island in 1943. Things were much less weird this time. Issues:

- Started at Mare and was immediately ordered to insert an agent near Katsuura; transferred with immediate effect to Brisbane. There were no sea trials on offer. I believe you mentioned this is a known issue.

- Torpedoed a Fleet Oiler and a Chitose seaplane tender at anchor in Eniwetok. Sank the FO with 4" gunfire but the Chitose withstood ~100 rounds of AP and HE as well as multiple Mk 14s. I would expect a CL to be armored against 4" AP but not an AVS, though certain areas were doubtlessly reinforced. Can this be adjusted?

- When I returned after refitting, the wounded Chitose had been joined by a SSS and another FO anchored in the exact spot as its predecessor. Two quickly sank but the FO took a heavy pounding before sinking bow first in shallow water. Though I maintained contact with it, I did not receive credit for that sinking. Stock issue?

- The map symbol for the kaibokan DE is bizarre: a dark, melanoma-like splotch. Even at 57% hull damage, curiosity demanded I close within visual range to find out what the heck that was.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 02:47 AM   #1469
Moonlight
Admiral

^ These are the ships I know to have a dark splodge type thing as its _shp file, COKaibokan_shp, NKMSS_Kinposan_shp, NPC_461_shp and lastly the USGunBoat01_shp, Mr beanie will probably change them now he knows about them.
Old 07-06-20, 03:50 AM   #1470
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
^ These are the ships I know to have a dark splodge type thing as its _shp file, COKaibokan_shp, NKMSS_Kinposan_shp, NPC_461_shp and lastly the USGunBoat01_shp, Mr beanie will probably change them now he knows about them.
I will look at this in due course, thanks !