SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-20, 10:18 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Sonar in SH4 (with different important mods)

Hi,

so when patrolling early in the war, from December 1941 until mid 1943 you are supposed to have the rudimentary listening sonar equiped, meaning a max. distance of 10.000 yards sonar range (I assume you don't have surface radar yet.)

From the description I read that these American sonars had surface detection capability for that distance which was really great in comparison to German sonars which AFAIK didn't have this possibility, but German detection ranges under water were much better (30-40 NM according to my research, but this is questionable, I only made a quick research.)

My problem is: At rough sea with 15m/s winds, I expect my sonar man to hear plain nothing, so I dive to 80 feet and go to full stop to make a sonar search. This search should yield a major distance in spotting targets compared to the surface search result, or no?
I never have spotted enemies that way, not in TMO, not in FORTSU or with other mods. The only sonar contacts were at surface in the 10Y range.

This also means that advanced realistic hydrophone plottings like the 4-bearing method must not be done in SH4, or because you have super sonar detection results at 10K Yards and you just move to visual range to get the enemy's course, or because you will never get sonar contacts further away than 10K Yards.

Is such a difference in sonar detection difference not simulated in SH4?

Thanks,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-08-20 at 10:39 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 11:28 AM   #2
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

SH4 has a very simple sonar model, basically on or off. You detect all ships within a certain range, no matter the conditions or your speed. You can detect ships on sonar even when they do not show up on radar, so at over 30 or 40,000 yds.

The "range" only seems to affect your sonar man who will not detect ships beyond a certain range.

In RL, it was possible for U.S.subs to detect ships on sonar when surfaced, but only when motionless or going very slow since the Diesel engine or water flow over the sonar heads would quickly drown out any contacts.
Old 05-09-20, 12:59 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thank you Bilge Rat, that means I shouldn't expect too much in range with only the rudimentary first sonar equiped (and no radar). I will have to find targets at 10.000 yards, this will make me miss a lot of opportunities early 1942 I'm afraid, but that's realistic overall i think. And apart from that, I will watch the skill of my sonar man.

Greetings,
XS
Old 05-10-20, 05:21 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

I have found, when submerged, if I rotate the sonar sometimes I get a "hit".
The green light goes on, no sounds.
I surface and head off in that direction, submerge and recheck now and then.
And, sometimes I end up with a target.
If I ping that distant blurb, at times, I get a range of over 8 or 9 miles away.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 05:45 AM   #5
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

What sometimes annoys me is when you get a radio report of a convoy then when you look on the map it is too far away.

I seem to remember back in SH2 there was a 'Trigger' that if you went in time excel it triggered either a warship or an aircraft, I think if it was an aircraft that triggered a warship or something like that.
Not sure if it works the same in SH4, but it would keep you occupied till you found a convoy.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 08:49 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
What sometimes annoys me is when you get a radio report of a convoy then when you look on the map it is too far away.

This simulates an allied plane or ship spotting the enemy convoy or task force, this may happen everywhere on the map in a certain range from you, but generally yes, too far away for an interception. Also I don't know if the game allows you to go at flank speed for longer time (to make interceptions more possible), realistically you would get engine damages and have to slow down.

XS
Old 05-10-20, 08:52 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I have found, when submerged, if I rotate the sonar sometimes I get a "hit".
The green light goes on, no sounds.
I surface and head off in that direction, submerge and recheck now and then.
And, sometimes I end up with a target.
If I ping that distant blurb, at times, I get a range of over 8 or 9 miles away.

I have tried this several times without success along historical known convoy route nodes. But you confirming this is good news, so I will go on with it. Thanks!

XS
Old 05-12-20, 11:18 AM   #8
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Xenon, I was transiting from East China Sea to area 8, just north of the Manya port, when I went to periscope depth and did a manual sonar sweep.

Picked up a green light, no sound, toward the South. Sent out a ping, got an echo range 36000 yds. (Medium Cooler) tracked it coming north, eventually took it out.

Sometimes a plan comes together.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote