Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 07-03-12, 01:27 AM   #1
timmy41
Weps

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Battleground Europe. Combined arms online game with tank simulation.

Perhaps some of you have heard of it, or even tried it out, I know dowly has as I saw him playing many years ago. But from what I have read here, quite a few are looking for the opportunity to use tanks in a multiplayer environment that has realistic damage unlike World of Tanks. Don't get me wrong, even a sim grognard like me dips in to World of Tanks every once in awhile, but it's simply not the kind of game I enjoy. This game has been my mainstay since 2006, and it has been around since 2001.
For those of you looking to tank online along others, facing against and playing with infantry, trucks, anti-tank guns, aircraft, and even a few ships, all with realistic damage and ballistics, this is what you're probably looking for.

Each game is on a half scale map of most of the area over which fall gelb and rot took place. Over the time of the campaign, every week or so, the equipment advances to another tier, offering access to more advanced equipment. Tier 0 has 1940 equipment, tier 1 has '41, and so on until early '44 equipment. The maps have lasted up to 101 days, and usually go around 45 days until one side takes enough ground. There are no loading zones, it is possible to drive as far as a vehicles fuel will take you, it is all one continues map.

Here is a video from 2004, explaining the damage model.

Here is a player made ad made in 2008, if anyone is interested in checking one out.

Here is a nice one showing some tanking. Video uploaded this year.
First scene I believe is a 38(t) firing on a happily oblivious French Char B.1.
Next is from the commander view of a IV.D, through a field alongside a II.C and another IV.D. Behind is some other tank I can't identify, not enough detail.
Third scene is from the gun sight of a III.F of H, shooting a French Panhard 178.
He then engages a Stuart M.3 and kills the turret crew.
It goes on from there.

Some action from a StuG IIIG, from 2006.

And more, without metal music over it. Using the B instead of G. From 2010.

Lastly, for a pretty cool video, if you find none of the others convincing, you can check out the team aspect of it! This video begins with a column advancing, then a charge across some open ground to reach effective gun range.

If you'd like to check it out, here is the website.
http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/
They have a 2 week free trial, then after that an account reverts to a free account mode with only access to lower equipment, I think just rifles and some other infantry equipment. In addition, they are developing a more casual game which if successful will allow BG:E to be updated more reliably. This game is called "Rapid Assault". http://www.rapidassaultgame.com
A pledge to the kickstarter for that game of 25$ will give you access, so if the goal is not reached for that, people who have pledged will effectively have gotten the game for free.

I'm not sharing this here as an advertisement, I just see posts going back for years with people asking for a multiplayer tanking game, and I figure there are some people here who would like to check either of these out.

Old 07-03-12, 01:28 AM   #2
timmy41
Weps

To throw in some damage model screenshots, here's a Tiger getting hit by what I think was a 3inch round from a M10 at a relatively close range.

timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 01:32 AM   #3
timmy41
Weps

And a few screenshots from my testing in "Rapid Assault".

Old 07-03-12, 03:22 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Love the tanking aspect of the game.

Oh and .
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 05:40 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

If I were interested in online gaming, I would try this.
Old 07-03-12, 06:10 AM   #6
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Frankly the graphics and modelling look dated. Especially compared to recent online sim/FPS like Red Orchestra 2, Iron Front Liberation 44 or even Forgotten Hope 2.4 ( a WWII mod made with the BF2 engine).
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 08:37 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Frankly the graphics and modelling look dated. Especially compared to recent online sim/FPS like Red Orchestra 2, Iron Front Liberation 44 or even Forgotten Hope 2.4 ( a WWII mod made with the BF2 engine).
I'd like to see any of those titles try and maintain the graphical quality on a ~27 600km2 game area.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 10:29 AM   #8
timmy41
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
This game models 36^2 km of stuff around the player at any time. Even BF3 only models .5^2km, beyond that everything is dramatically smoothed, and it's even more evident in BF2. Just pay attention to the terrain in the distance (not actually very far, only 400m or so) and you'll see it bubble up and down from a flat...thing to what it is supposed to be. This makes true long range combat impossible since if one were to actually fight people that far, they're often floating above ground, have an invisible piece of terrain in front of them, or they'll appear to be under ground. ARMA and RO2 do not have any kind of detailed vehicle modeling or true ballistics, it's all flubbed.
I enjoy each of those games, I've actually spent more time in RO2 lately than WWIIOL, but none of them have achieved what WWIIOL has.
Old 08-17-12, 08:28 AM   #9
murkz
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

WW2OL is now free to play

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...y-sign-up-here
murkz is offline   Reply With Quote