SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-20, 05:52 AM   #1
kickswitch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default FOTRSU 1.1 Photo Recon probs

Playing FOTRSU 1.1 mod for SH4

started a patrol out of Pearl: Mission is to go to Marshall Islands chain and patrol Engintwok I think the island is, when I reach patrol zone the obj changes from patrol for five days, to Patrol to five days AND photo recon island. I got a little trigger happy and sunk a Subchaser with two torps during daylight hours (it was heading toward and across near perpendicular shot so I took it from Periscope depth) then sunk a medium tanker I think it was between two of the atoll's, one of which I'm suppose to recon. Problem begins when I reach the atoll and approach the objective which has a "Ghost sonar reading and a surface sighting from my bridge crew" but there's nothing there, that's somewhere about 1000 yards off the north of the atoll, and same deal just east of the atoll, nothing to lock the scope to photograph but every indication that that's exactly what needs to be photo'd.

Very confusing, love this mod but am not sure if I want to start another career or fail this first patrol on this small problem/possible bug.

Perhaps I should have photo'd first then sunk? That's all I can think of that may be amiss here, or a bug but then special missions have been dodgy for this game in vanilla also.

Running SH4 FOTRS Ultimate 1.1 mod only
4GB patcher

1942 December patrol start 1st patrol of career.

Hmmm... again this is in no way a critiscism of the mod, just would like some clarification and or help.

Cheers
Old 07-31-20, 09:09 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickswitch View Post

started a patrol out of Pearl: Mission is to go to Marshall Islands chain and patrol Engintwok I think the island is, when I reach patrol zone the obj changes from patrol for five days, to Patrol to five days AND photo recon island. I got a little trigger happy and sunk a Subchaser with two torps during daylight hours (it was heading toward and across near perpendicular shot so I took it from Periscope depth) then sunk a medium tanker I think it was between two of the atoll's, one of which I'm suppose to recon. Problem begins when I reach the atoll and approach the objective which has a "Ghost sonar reading and a surface sighting from my bridge crew" but there's nothing there, that's somewhere about 1000 yards off the north of the atoll, and same deal just east of the atoll, nothing to lock the scope to photograph but every indication that that's exactly what needs to be photo'd.

Very confusing, love this mod but am not sure if I want to start another career or fail this first patrol on this small problem/possible bug.

Perhaps I should have photo'd first then sunk? That's all I can think of that may be amiss here, or a bug but then special missions have been dodgy for this game in vanilla also.

Running SH4 FOTRS Ultimate 1.1 mod only
4GB patcher

1942 December patrol start 1st patrol of career.

Hmmm... again this is in no way a critiscism of the mod, just would like some clarification and or help.

Cheers

I've done that recon too. you won't 'see' anything where you get the ghost sonar reading. Just look that way and try to get a photo. I think I remember that there were 2 beaches to recon.
Good luck.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 09:32 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickswitch View Post
Perhaps I should have photo'd first then sunk? That's all I can think of that may be amiss here, or a bug but then special missions have been dodgy for this game in vanilla also.Cheers
Kick,

you have hit the nail on the head!
most likely the tanker would have satisfied your objective for a photo.
take the photo, first, then leave the torpedo.

also, some of the Photo missions are screwy because one can arrive at a harbour full of ships and take a whole roll of photos but still not get credit for completing an objective. PB and others are seriously thinking about making changes to them such that kaleuns will have the opportunity to complete the mission.

keep plugging away.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 10:00 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The tanker would not satisfy the orders. Recon the islands, and as mikesn9 mentions, there is a Photo area you have to be inside of, marked on the NavMap. We have tried multiple times to eliminate the sonar line from the PhotoTarget (to avoid confusion), but have failed. It is mentioned in the Photo Op in the Sub School missions, and there is a pdf on completing Photo missions (SM09 FotoReconSpecOpTraining.pdf) in the Support folder of the mod, and it's also usually mentioned in the orders for a mission, except this one, due to them just being early war secondary objectives. It is also stated that if you can't accomplish the photo recon, to just abort that portion of the mission.

The PhotoTarget we use in the mod is "invisible", and it is small, the idea being that you are simulating taking pictures of the beaches. The sonar line can be used to home in on the target (one advantage of the sonar line). Generally speaking, you have to get within 1200 yards of the target, sometimes within 850 yards, which we don't like. The worse the weather, the closer you have to be. Anyway, if you got a "ship spotted" from the crew, you are close enough. Look on the NavMap and you should see a little black camera on the NavMap where the PhotoTarget is located. Use that as a prompt as to where to point your Attack Periscope. Use the Attack Periscope only, and be sure you are on the Periscope screen ~AND~ menu. "Lock" onto the PhotoTarget and click on the Photograph icon on the menu bar. You have to lock the target, and use the Photograph button. No short-cut keys or anything for this. You should only have to take one picture of each PhotoTarget there at Engebi, one on each side of the north sides of the triangular island.

If you have No Map Contacts, you have to really pay attention to your crews' prompts about heading and range, and immediately after the "Ship spotted" prompt, go to the NavMap and make yourself a reference heading and go directly towards that. Then slowly move the Attack Periscope back and forth along that heading, hittlng the "L" key as you do so, until you are able to attain a "Lock", then you can take your picture. This can be more difficult than the math and tracking involved in manual-targeting for torpedoes... lol - whatever you do though, do NOT run aground!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 07:43 AM   #5
kickswitch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Cheers

Thanks for the help all. Will give it another shot.