SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-20, 11:58 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default What are they?

Hy all, 4th team of SH Skippers!

Everything related to SH4 runs great here! Many thanks to Mad Mardigan ....
Everything to how to install SH4 and Mods, he discribes...

You have to read a lot and read it again and again, especially for someone for whom English is not their native language and is only used to "Plain English" ...

I am very interested in what is called Ops Monsun and Dark Waters. What are the differences?

Pages full of how to install it BUT WHAT ARE THEY ????

Are they good MODs for an enthousiastic novice? And why? Or are there better, nicer, others ?? Anyone want to tell me?

easy
Old 07-28-20, 02:45 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Hy all, 4th team of SH Skippers!

Everything related to SH4 runs great here! Many thanks to Mad Mardigan ....
Everything to how to install SH4 and Mods, he discribes...

You have to read a lot and read it again and again, especially for someone for whom English is not their native language and is only used to "Plain English" ...

I am very interested in what is called Ops Monsun and Dark Waters. What are the differences?

Pages full of how to install it BUT WHAT ARE THEY ????

Are they good MODs for an enthousiastic novice? And why? Or are there better, nicer, others ?? Anyone want to tell me?

easy
here's the gouge:
Operation Monsun (OpM) was created by lurker so that we could playing the ATO just like SH3. i could wax on and on about the background and politics, etc, etc, but let's just leave it at that. :-)

Dark Waters is OpM-Next Gen or 2.0. Fifi cleaned up a lot of unexpected features of OpM and added a lot of new features, such as new campaigns in the Med, Arctic, Black Sea, et.al.

As far as what to play, i suggest DW. However, unlike the US-Pacific Theatre, expect to play your "career" in one boat as OpM/DW is not designed to move a player through a succession of boats as rewards for doing well. so, play for a game calendar-year and when you hit a dead end, start a new career in a different boat. keep in mind that 3/4 of the Uboat crews were KIA during the war, so the prospect of surviving 6 years of war was just about impossible.

no matter what you decide, good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 03:44 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: SH4 Uboat mods...

Glad to know the guide I sorta kinda threw together on a spur of the moment, helped. Is gratifying to know it did.

Ok, to add to what KaleunMarco outlined, thus far...

Operation Monsun, was crafted by lurker, as an answer to a more.. robust uboat career than the more heavily crafted u.s. sub skipper one, included in the original, vanilla unmodded SH4 base version. lurker, outlined of not being able to successfully arrange it so as to do boat progression. (I say this from a side prospective, having never seriously having gotten into modding much, beyond small tweak stuff... and with a heavy dose of respect for mega mod makers, to boot. I'm more of a user of such items... I do have some older 1st hand knowledge of things involved with modding, as it were.. that is by now, out of date compared to nowadays.. but believe that certain factors, still hold true. A misplaced period, comma, semi colon, will muck things up & can end with various end results from weird visual effects to all out crash to desktop, the bane for all of us mod users.)

That aside, Operation Monsun, gave the SH4 player, the ability to play it in a more SH3'ish feel to it. For Me, it's SH3 version 2.0 on steroids... with much better graphic'ing, to be frank.

Fifi, took & upgraded what lurker built on, going forward... & very much added to it.

This of course, was just the start of improvements for Operation Monsun, at this stage in the scheme of it all, became known of as: ''Operation Monsun: Enhanced''.

Fast forward to now, Fifi, not satisfied, further enhanced his addition to Operation Monsun with bringing out Operation Monsun: Dark Waters, working through it to the latest version of it which at last check, was v6.0

Overall, Operation Monsun: Dark Waters, is a inclusion to the line up of mega's, that adds to the overall enjoyment of SH4, in My opinion... as well as Fall of the Rising Sun: Ultimate English version is & the overlooked ability to play as a Brit sub skipper, namely 'We dive at Dawn'.

There was work begun on a IJN version, that has been no further word on, so no clear cut idea of where that stands as of now. Last I heard, was that there were plans to invest some time into work on it, after FotRS. To be frank, this 1, while highly anticipated by Me (can only speak for Myself here.. ) would be more of a shorter work, than either Operation Monsun: Dark Waters & FotRS, considering that IJN, did not really make much use of their subs, as did the German , the U.S. or the Royal Navy military did.

Hope this helps with having a better understanding of what the differences are between the original mod, Operation Monsun & the follow up's to it.

M. M.

Old 07-29-20, 05:41 AM   #4
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you very much for explaining what is what!

@Mad Mardigan: about placing a MODDED version of SHIV...

In your post from 07-23-2020, 02:03 AM you write:
"That said, then set up another folder in C: \ Games \
& name it whatever mod flavor you wish to use .. such as 'Operation-Monsun: Dark-Waters' or FotRS-U-EN"

In your post from 05-08-2020, 06:33 AM you write:
"So the structure reads as follows there:
C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific. Ok, from there, I created in \ common
a folder named to what flavor mod I want to run with, for this ex. I'll run with the mod Operation Monsun: Enhanced."

Now I understand that in your first advice you have a MODDED version in
1) C: \ Games

and in your second advice you have a MODDED version in
2) C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common

Am I getting it wrong?

easy

Last edited by easy; 07-29-20 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-29-20, 12:20 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Thank you very much for explaining what is what!

@Mad Mardigan: about placing a MODDED version of SHIV...

In your post from 07-23-2020, 02:03 AM you write:
"That said, then set up another folder in C: \ Games \
& name it whatever mod flavor you wish to use .. such as 'Operation-Monsun: Dark-Waters' or FotRS-U-EN"

In your post from 05-08-2020, 06:33 AM you write:
"So the structure reads as follows there:
C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific. Ok, from there, I created in \ common
a folder named to what flavor mod I want to run with, for this ex. I'll run with the mod Operation Monsun: Enhanced."

Now I understand that in your first advice you have a MODDED version in
1) C: \ Games

and in your second advice you have a MODDED version in
2) C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common

Am I getting it wrong?

easy
Ok, this is how your ''unmodded'' straight vanilla copy of SH4 should be looking like, after you install it & run it... 1 time, Vasily... 1 time only, if you please. (I know.. cheesy corny Hunt for Red October pun.. , BUT.. this holds true. See below:

C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

You need to run the unmodded SH4, as this version, will become your boiler plate base copy or Master copy if you will... to use to make all other copies to mod, according to the mega mod you want to do.

After downloading, installing & running that.. again, 1 time only, go into your documents folder & delete the SH4 game save folder. Then, back into \common & create the folder for the mega mod name you are going to use. Once this is done, then go into the master copy of SH4, use cntrl+a & copy the guts of the game then copy paste the guts into that folder which should look as follows:

C: \ Games \ Silent-Hunter \ SH4-Steam \ steamapps \ common \Operation-Monsun: Dark-Waters

After this (there is NO need to run SH4 here, since that was done with the Master copy already, you are now ready to begin...

Into your Operation-Monsun folder (or FotRS-U-EN, if you decide to go with that 1 instead), & place a copy of JSGME, run this, allowing it to create a 'MODS' folder in there as well. That folder is of course, where you will place the mods associated for running SH4 modded to that mega (as well as any other mods to enhance it, by the way)
mod this accordingly. The rest of My guide is correct & can follow it from this point.

Side note:
I shall go back & reread the guide & if there was an error in it that led to your confusion, I shall indeed correct said error/s...

Hope this clears up the confusion.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 07-29-20 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Re: Edited for clarity.. D'Oh... fingers got ahead of My brain. :/
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 01:44 PM   #6
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@ Mad Mardigan:

Thanks you very much for your quick answer!!!!
Its completely clear now.

And thank you for the PM...

easy
Old 07-29-20, 02:19 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Answers...

Quote:
@ Mad Mardigan:

Thanks you very much for your quick answer!!!!
Its completely clear now.

And thank you for the PM...

easy
Hey easy,

Glad to know it helped...

Seeing as how the initial work up guide I did (on the spur of the moment, to be frank about it..) seems to have led to some confusion, I'll see of going back & work up a more.. cleaner, revised edition so as to see of avoiding any possible instances such as this (or any other means for confusion ) to occur again.

My thanks for your bringing this to My attention...

Again, glad to know it helped another Steam user to have a solution to being able to multi run more than 1 copy of SH4, through them.

Just to be clear, this guide.. only applies to SH4 through them.. SH3 & 5, are completely different & requires a whole different approach to them, despite being supplied by Steam, as well.

Weird, I know.. but.. it is what it is.. thanks to sneaky, underhanded rip off thieves & their 'crack' pot shenanigans that have led to this... well, just 1 side of it all... the whole games only being supplied through downloads now mess, as it stands now... but mostly them.

May them thieves, sleep with the fishies...