SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-20, 05:53 AM   #61
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Signature Panel problem?

GSmith,

This morning I rebooted Steam and Cold Waters with the 1990 Campaign mod.

Update:
The problem with the little warship and the merchant buttons is still present in the Single Missions. But, they work perfectly in a Quick Mission which I did not try last night. They very well may work in the Campaign mode but I've not tested it out yet. Assume that they do until I have time to start another campaign. I will let you know.

Its amazing to me that they work in the stock game, 2004 Campaign mod, Quick Missions in your 1990 mod but not in the Single Missions in your mod. Campaign and Quick Missions are more important to me than Single Missions so such a little glitch won't bother me; I can live with that.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to slightly reduce the size of the HUD, mini-map, panels, etc. that overlie the map. A little smaller would help.

Thanks for your attention.
Old 07-10-20, 09:24 AM   #62
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
GSmith,

Update:
The problem with the little warship and the merchant buttons is still present in the Single Missions. But, they work perfectly in a Quick Mission which I did not try last night. They very well may work in the Campaign mode but I've not tested it out yet. Assume that they do until I have time to start another campaign. I will let you know.

Its amazing to me that they work in the stock game, 2004 Campaign mod, Quick Missions in your 1990 mod but not in the Single Missions in your mod. Campaign and Quick Missions are more important to me than Single Missions so such a little glitch won't bother me; I can live with that.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to slightly reduce the size of the HUD, mini-map, panels, etc. that overlie the map. A little smaller would help.

Here's Badger's translation of my workaround for hud size:
(post at https://steamcommunity.com/app/54121...8258838/?ctp=5)

Автор сообщения: Badger343rd
I just read of the epic form that they figured out how to resize the hud smaller...

"I’ll duplicate the information, as I recall, the players were interested in the issue of reducing the had when playing at low resolutions. Unfortunately, it is still not clear whether this can be done in a “human” way, but a workaround has recently been discovered:

To make the smaller size hud, enter a negative value in the file ... \ AppData \ LocalLow \ Killerfish Games \ Cold Waters \ options.txt in the line hud size. Keep in mind that it will be reset the first time you enter the options in the game and you will have to manually change it again.
For comparison, screenshots at a resolution of 1280x720 are shown. Reduced Had and the smallest possible through options"

What I just discovered is it CAN be made permanent if you simply changer the file to "read only" in it's properties after the edit,FYI
Yep, that was me again) figured that out recently... I didn't mentioned read-only, since you had to turn it off anyway if you want to change something in options. And if you do not go to options - reduced hud works just fine. But its a matter of taste...
Unfortunately there are too little usage of that option in the code, so I can't figure out where I can apply changes to make it adjustable trough the hud slider( So guess, for now, we're stuck with this "beta-then-nafing" method...

P.S. I found that -3 is good for my 1280x720
Screenshot: [prnt.sc]

As for buttons - probably some mistakes in mission files..
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 10:40 AM   #63
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 View Post
Here's Badger's translation of my workaround for hud size:
(post at https://steamcommunity.com/app/54121...8258838/?ctp=5)

Автор сообщения: Badger343rd
I just read of the epic form that they figured out how to resize the hud smaller...
To make the smaller size hud, enter a negative value in the file ... \ AppData \ LocalLow \ Killerfish Games \ Cold Waters \ options.txt in the line hud size. Keep in mind that it will be reset the first time you enter the options in the game and you will have to manually change it again.
For comparison, screenshots at a resolution of 1280x720 are shown. Reduced Had and the smallest possible through options" ........
P.S. I found that -3 is good for my 1280x720
My install is from Steam as follows:
steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\default\ various directories & files and sub-directories & files
......... but NO options.txt file and no line that says "HUD size"

Thanks but it just doesn't seem to be there.

Edit:

Does anyone else have a method or suggestion on RESIZING (smaller) the HUD, Mini-map, panels, etc. I've seen some YouTube video where these items all seem to be smaller.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-10-20 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:29 PM   #64
GSmith63
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Quote:
GSmith,

Update:

Hi von Zelda. The problem with the ship/sub icons in the sonar sigs is not one I've seen before. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything.

As to the issue with the HUD size, I'll see if there is anything beyond the "Options" section you already referenced.
GSmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 08:19 AM   #65
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Ship/Sub icons on single missions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post
Hi von Zelda. The problem with the ship/sub icons in the sonar sigs is not one I've seen before. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything.

As to the issue with the HUD size, I'll see if there is anything beyond the "Options" section you already referenced.
I checked all single missions on v3a and found Ship/Sub icons do not properly work on #1 through 7 & 10. While #8, 9, 11 through 17 & Quick Missions work normally.

I previously checked only single mission #1 on your v2a & v3 to find it also not working properly. Did not check #2 through 17 on V2a & v3.

Hope this is helpful.

And yes, please check out minor reduction in HUD size. Thanks.
Old 07-11-20, 09:15 AM   #66
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24

Quote:
My install is from Steam as follows:
steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\default\ various directories & files and sub-directories & files
......... but NO options.txt file and no line that says "HUD size"

Thanks but it just doesn't seem to be there.

Edit:

Does anyone else have a method or suggestion on RESIZING (smaller) the HUD, Mini-map, panels, etc. I've seen some YouTube video where these items all seem to be smaller.
It is in AppData regardless your installation path. AppData is located in
"C:\Users\(your username)\AppData" and is hidden.
You can also press windows+R and type appdata in input line
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 02:07 PM   #67
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default To reduce HUD, mini-map and Panel size

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 View Post
It is in AppData regardless your installation path. AppData is located in "C:\Users\(your username)\AppData" and is hidden.
You can also press windows+R and type appdata in input line
Thank You, M134; it works!

With M134's expert directions, see info below for what I did and results:
To modifiy HUD, mini-map and Panel size, Etc.:
Windows Key + R, type AppData, click on: LocalLow\Killerfish Games\Cold Waters\ (open) Options text file; within the top line of text, find HudSize=0 and change zero to a negative number. I’m initially using -3 with my 1366x768 resolution lap top. Be sure to save the original Options text file by renaming it as options-original just in case you have a problem.

Results: Using -3 for Hud size, below table is the height of panels on the left with mini-map open (since its the tallest) excluding the Helm, Depth & Sensor panels which I moved to the right of mini-map in the center.
0 = 3.4” tall with min-map open
-1 = 3.25”
-2 = 3.12”
-3 = 2.9” (seems right & gives all around better visibility than stock)
-4 = 2.75”
-5 = 2.6”
-6 = 2.4” (almost too small to read)

Mini-Map (open) & Sub & Torpedo Info Panel with Hud Size=0 is 3.4 inches tall x 3.25 wide
Mini-Map (open) & Sub & Torpedo Info Panel with Hud Size=-3 is 2.9 inches tall x 2.75 wide

Helm, Depth, Sensor Panels beside the Mini-Map with Hud Size=0 is 2.25 inches tall x 3.25 wide
Helm, Depth, Sensor Panels beside the Mini-Map with Hud Size=-3 is 1.75 inches tall x 2.75 wide

Condition, Signature, Etc. Panels to far right with Hud Size=0 is 1 inch tall x 5.2 inches wide
Condition, Signature, Etc. Panels to far right with Hud Size=-3 is 0.8 inch tall x 4.3 inches wide

Let me know if anyone needs changes to the default text file to modify your Helm, Depth, Sensor to be stacked in center, right side of mini-map. I had a hard time finding the changes that would center & stack them on my laptop since the panels wanted to overlap when placed side by side in the center.

Sorry this is so long but some of this modding info is difficult for us to find. Hope this is helpful.

Edit: After resizing Hud, I changed a keystroke within the game's Options page that apparently offset my manual edit to Hud Size within the Options file where it had reset to zero. I changed it back to -3 like it was and things went back to the way I wanted both keystroke and Hud size. M134 made mention to this happening in his post #62.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-11-20 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 04:14 PM   #68
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
Thank You, M134; it works!

With M134's expert directions, see info below for what I did and results:
To modifiy HUD, mini-map and Panel size, Etc.:
Windows Key + R, type AppData, click on: LocalLow\Killerfish Games\Cold Waters\ (open) Options text file; within the top line of text, find HudSize=0 and change zero to a negative number. I’m initially using -3 with my 1366x768 resolution lap top. Be sure to save the original Options text file by renaming it as options-original just in case you have a problem.

Results: Using -3 for Hud size, below table is the height of panels on the left with mini-map open (since its the tallest) excluding the Helm, Depth & Sensor panels which I moved to the right of mini-map in the center.
0 = 3.4” tall with min-map open
-1 = 3.25”
-2 = 3.12”
-3 = 2.9” (seems right & gives all around better visibility than stock)
-4 = 2.75”
-5 = 2.6”
-6 = 2.4” (almost too small to read)

Mini-Map (open) & Sub & Torpedo Info Panel with Hud Size=0 is 3.4 inches tall x 3.25 wide
Mini-Map (open) & Sub & Torpedo Info Panel with Hud Size=-3 is 2.9 inches tall x 2.75 wide

Helm, Depth, Sensor Panels beside the Mini-Map with Hud Size=0 is 2.25 inches tall x 3.25 wide
Helm, Depth, Sensor Panels beside the Mini-Map with Hud Size=-3 is 1.75 inches tall x 2.75 wide

Condition, Signature, Etc. Panels to far right with Hud Size=0 is 1 inch tall x 5.2 inches wide
Condition, Signature, Etc. Panels to far right with Hud Size=-3 is 0.8 inch tall x 4.3 inches wide

Let me know if anyone needs changes to the default text file to modify your Helm, Depth, Sensor to be stacked in center, right side of mini-map. I had a hard time finding the changes that would center & stack them on my laptop since the panels wanted to overlap when placed side by side in the center.

Sorry this is so long but some of this modding info is difficult for us to find. Hope this is helpful.

Edit: After resizing Hud, I changed a keystroke within the game's Options page that apparently offset my manual edit to Hud Size within the Options file where it had reset to zero. I changed it back to -3 like it was and things went back to the way I wanted both keystroke and Hud size. M134 made mention to this happening in his post #62.

Nice work M134 & von Zelda!
Old 07-12-20, 04:18 PM   #69
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
I checked all single missions on v3a and found Ship/Sub icons do not properly work on #1 through 7 & 10. While #8, 9, 11 through 17 & Quick Missions work normally.

I previously checked only single mission #1 on your v2a & v3 to find it also not working properly. Did not check #2 through 17 on V2a & v3.

Hope this is helpful.

And yes, please check out minor reduction in HUD size. Thanks.

HUGE help von Zelda - Thanks! Using your testing results I was able to isolate the problem to one of the sea traffic map files and a mismatch between original and campaign-modified platforms. Fix coming shortly.
Old 07-12-20, 05:02 PM   #70
GSmith63
Sailor man

Default Update 3b Now Available (or correct manually)

Update 3b is now available.

The update can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D47...ew?usp=sharing

* Fixed issue with non-working sonar signature icons in some single missions.

This issue can also be corrected manually, without having to download and replace all of the campaign files.

1. Go to the \override\campaign\maps folder.

2. Copy the norwegian_sea_traffic_1990.txt file and paste it back into the same folder, so that you have both the original file and a new copied file.

3. Rename the copied file to norwegian_sea_traffic.txt.

Thanks for everyone's help in tracking down and squashing these bugs.
Old 07-13-20, 10:32 AM   #71
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Still a Problem with sub/ship icons and plus another

Quote:
Update 3b is now available.
The update can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D47...ew?usp=sharing
* Fixed issue with non-working sonar signature icons in some single missions.
This issue can also be corrected manually, without having to download and replace all of the campaign files.
1. Go to the \override\campaign\maps folder.
2. Copy the norwegian_sea_traffic_1990.txt file and paste it back into the same folder, so that you have both the original file and a new copied file.
3. Rename the copied file to norwegian_sea_traffic.txt.
Thanks for everyone's help in tracking down and squashing these bugs.
GSimth,
Sorry to report the continuation of the same problem with Single Missions #3 and #6 after downloading your updated v3b last night.

Also, in rechecking #1 to #18 this morning, I had numerous crashes to a mostly blank screen, but not to desk top. On each occasion, I had to ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager in order to exist from game. The crash to blank screen happened maybe once or twice previously while I was checking single missions but not as frequently as this morning. Now, the glitch happen frequently on #2 and only once on #3, not on any other single missions so far. The process is select Mission #2, click start, click accept, click accept then game crashes to a mostly blank screen instead of loading the mission, then freezes up, and then we must end Cold Waters in task manager panel to exit and reboot game.

I'm not sure if glitch has anything to do with the current Single Missions problem or not. But, I've not seen it anywhere else; that being un-modded stock or stock plus a 2004 Campaign mod that I've played.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-13-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 10:41 PM   #72
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
GSimth,
Sorry to report the continuation of the same problem with Single Missions #3 and #6 after downloading your updated v3b last night.

Also, in rechecking #1 to #18 this morning, I had numerous crashes to a mostly blank screen, but not to desk top. On each occasion, I had to ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager in order to exist from game. The crash to blank screen happened maybe once or twice previously while I was checking single missions but not as frequently as this morning. Now, the glitch happen frequently on #2 and only once on #3, not on any other single missions so far. The process is select Mission #2, click start, click accept, click accept then game crashes to a mostly blank screen instead of loading the mission, then freezes up, and then we must end Cold Waters in task manager panel to exit and reboot game.

I'm not sure if glitch has anything to do with the current Single Missions problem or not. But, I've not seen it anywhere else; that being un-modded stock or stock plus a 2004 Campaign mod that I've played.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks von Zelda. Was able to fix this one pretty easily.
Old 07-13-20, 10:49 PM   #73
GSmith63
Sailor man

Default Update 3c Now Available

Update 3c is now available.

* Fixed issue with non-working sonar signature icons in 1968 single missions.
* Fixed crash bug in single missions.
Old 07-14-20, 04:20 AM   #74
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Update 3c is now available.
* Fixed issue with non-working sonar signature icons in 1968 single missions.
* Fixed crash bug in single missions.
Mighty fine, mighty fine; will download immediately. Thanks
Old 11-24-20, 10:40 PM   #75
GSmith63
Sailor man

Update 4 is now available, and just in time for the American Thanksgiving holiday! Changes are as follows:

* Completely re-worked Soviet airborne ASW sensors, including adding additional sonobuoy types such as the Korshun series, reworking sonobuoy loadouts, and modifying the sensitivities of both active sonobuoys and dipping sonars, which were often way too powerful. I can expand on this in a future post if anyone is interested.

* Added SSBN mission patrol zones and waypoints in the polar cap, Barents Sea and Kara Sea (in real life HQ is NOT going to tell a sub skipper to search the entire Barents Sea in hopes of somehow running into an SSBN bastion!)

* Added multiple new SSBN Bastion missions and made them much more varied. A new one in the Kara Sea is especially difficult.

* Modified sea ice zones for the winter time period of the scenario, using data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center and the Norwegian Polar Institute. I had thought that sea ice was placed automatically by the game engine based on the season, but this does not appear to be the case. Sea ice zones in the original campaigns appear to have used data from mid-summer.

* Added missions specifically targeting Soviet ASW forces.

* Modified mission frequencies and eliminated a bug that caused Insertion missions to happen too frequently.

* Created additional artwork for “mission end” screens.

* Fixed a bug that spawned unescorted Soviet merchant vessels in random locations.

The mod can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D47...ew?usp=sharing

Tags
campaign, fixes, new content, realism