SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-21, 10:58 PM   #1
sortofredhead
Bosun

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default RFB CTD all of a sudden

I have RFB 2.0 with patch RCSD with fix, and 410 TMOKeys.

I am on Win 10 and have had no issues playing. I have saved games and then loaded them later. On 2nd mission of American Campaign and sank a ship finally. I saved as always. Now whenever I try to load any saved game, it starts loading, come up with the little destination Tokyo msg and then ctd. I can start program and get to main menu, have tried a training mission to test that, and it worked fine. Go to load saved game, ctd.

Any suggestions? Thank you for any assistance
sortofredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:08 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post
I have RFB 2.0 with patch RCSD with fix, and 410 TMOKeys.

I am on Win 10 and have had no issues playing. I have saved games and then loaded them later. On 2nd mission of American Campaign and sank a ship finally. I saved as always. Now whenever I try to load any saved game, it starts loading, come up with the little destination Tokyo msg and then ctd. I can start program and get to main menu, have tried a training mission to test that, and it worked fine. Go to load saved game, ctd.

Any suggestions? Thank you for any assistance
we've seen this before.
you are experiencing memory usage issues on your PC.
are you using Large Address Array (LAA) or some other 4 gig memory tool?
if not, download one and start using it.
if you are already using LAA, then reboot.
don't hate me but many of us have experienced the same thing as you and this is how it is fixed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 03:20 PM   #3
sortofredhead
Bosun

Thank you for your reply. I do have LAA installed. And actually I tried a reboot as well, but no luck. But again, thank your advice.
Old 06-09-21, 03:38 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

1. When you installed the game initially, did you play it any?

2. After you activated RFB and the other mods, did you delete the Save folder contents? (generally C:\Users \UserName \My Documents \SH4)

3. After you started on RFB and played, did you add anymore mods? Remove any?

4. If you run LAA again, is the SH4.exe still showing as LAA enabled?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 03:54 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post
Thank you for your reply. I do have LAA installed. And actually I tried a reboot as well, but no luck. But again, thank your advice.
PB listed a few questions and they relate to applying and then un-applying mods.
this can mess with your savefolder area which can cause sudden and mysterious and immediate CTD. in fact, i just had one of those myself.
Also, be sure that SH4.exe is still LAA-enabled. if it is not, then you need to go to that folder in Explorer, rt-click, and uncheck the Read Only box, Save, and re-apply LAA.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:25 PM   #6
sortofredhead
Bosun

Thank you to all. I did have LAA and it said true.

I did delete save folder initially too. I finally got an older save to work and have just restarted from that point. I am being mire careful to save games with unique names instead of overwriting.
Old 06-11-21, 09:01 AM   #7
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
1. When you installed the game initially, did you play it any?

2. After you activated RFB and the other mods, did you delete the Save folder contents? (generally C:\Users \UserName \My Documents \SH4)

3. After you started on RFB and played, did you add anymore mods? Remove any?

4. If you run LAA again, is the SH4.exe still showing as LAA enabled?

Interestingly my saved game folder is in C:\Users\Username\ My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\

I also see a "RichSavedGames " folder. Do I delete the contents of that as well?

Thank you again in advance for any assistance.
Old 06-11-21, 10:06 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When deleting the Save folder, just delete the whole thing, either from "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" on down, or data or cfg inside of that, and on down. You want to remove all files from in the Save folder after most major mod changes. The game will recreate the folder, even if you have used MultiSH4. What happens when you add mods, is they change the game's configuration. Since the game runs off of the data inside the mod folder, and the way JSGME and Windows work is to not overwrite existing files there, a lot of changes made by a mod are not transferred to the Save folder, which can introduce crashes. When the folder is deleted, the game will re-create the structure there, but will use the new data from the mod, and then you can eliminate that as a source of trouble - usually. The only problem with doing this, is that you do lose all progress in the game, and if you might want to continue where you were later, it is all gone. If you want to save the Save folder for later use, you can copy it elsewhere first, but just remember that if you do try to reuse it later, that the game mod condition must exactly match what you had, else you end up with trouble again.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 10:51 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
When deleting the Save folder, just delete the whole thing, either from "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" on down, or data or cfg inside of that, and on down. You want to remove all files from in the Save folder after most major mod changes. The game will recreate the folder, even if you have used MultiSH4. What happens when you add mods, is they change the game's configuration. Since the game runs off of the data inside the mod folder, and the way JSGME and Windows work is to not overwrite existing files there, a lot of changes made by a mod are not transferred to the Save folder, which can introduce crashes. When the folder is deleted, the game will re-create the structure there, but will use the new data from the mod, and then you can eliminate that as a source of trouble - usually. The only problem with doing this, is that you do lose all progress in the game, and if you might want to continue where you were later, it is all gone. If you want to save the Save folder for later use, you can copy it elsewhere first, but just remember that if you do try to reuse it later, that the game mod condition must exactly match what you had, else you end up with trouble again.
propbeanie +1

1 thing I do now, is... before adding/or removing mods... I take not only a copy of the save folder... but I also take a snapshot of the jsgme, as well.. & store both copy & snap snot in a properly named folder so I know at a glance of what is in there...

That way, if something goes south... or I want to go back to what was before... I have all the info I need... in hand. I store all of that in 1 folder I have named 'SH4 back up file cabinet'.

I hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 06-11-21, 01:01 PM   #10
sortofredhead
Bosun

It all helps guys. Thank you.