SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-19, 05:52 PM   #1
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Just played a few missions with the latest update - wow!

I'll get right to the good stuff. Was playing the northern base patrolling the arctic. Ran into a convoy with three Flower Corvettes and a Kirov Cruiser.

Got spotted by one of the Corvettes and had to go deep - succeeded in evading. Came back up to p-depth after the Corvette had sailed off and decided to put a few into the Kirov.

First eel hit perfectly. A slight list to port. Loaded up and fired another - another hit in a similar location and a little more list. Next shot managed to miss behind it. Put another out and another hit a bit further aft. Significant list and now the bow is going under the waves and she's dead in the water.

I see lifeboats and assume she's going down. SO I pursue the convoy and spend the rest of my fish on them, getting one of the 7k C3s.

Problem was I decided to surface a little too close to the convoy and got nailed by a couple of their guns. Barely managed to patch the holes before we took on too much water. We were neutrally buoyant at around 70ft for a looooong time.

Turned away from the convoy and decided I'd head back to the Kirov and see what was up.

She was still floating - surprised me. So I figured I'd try and finish it off with the deck gun (my little 88mm lol).

So I surface and tell my Captain to man the deck gun and target the Kirov.

BLAM - holy ****, she's not dead!!!

Unfortunately for me, these holes are MUCH bigger than the ones the freighters were making. Sealed off a couple compartments and tried to get decks awash and turn away. Unfortunately, just wasn't anything I could do at that point.

Kirov turned me into swiss cheese and we imploded shortly thereafter.

Lesson learned? Only shoot torps at cruisers and don't go back if you don't kill them. lol
Old 12-30-19, 11:12 AM   #2
Angelis
A-ganger

Downloads: 143

Hehe!
Nice story. Thanks for sharing.
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 12:10 PM   #3
Tracer
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

Yes it’s promising, though it still has some nightmares in it. I was spotted off he coast of England , coming back after a very successful sortie. 4.20am and very dark. Watch crew called out "aircraft spotted!" As they do, so being bold about this decided to engage with the AA. (and being close to home) this turned into a scratch head moment. Within seconds of engaging (it was a Sunderland) another 12 turned up!! Before I knew it, the sea and view was just a boiling mess of foam and spray and the sub,crew were absolutely blitzed.... I reloaded a couple of times after quitting to ponder on the scenario. Eventually managing to dive , with changed course and expecting the 'same aircraft' engagement. Yes it was completely off the silly scale. I’ve since still had some of the best bombardier pilots that existed engaging me, I very rarely can get a crash dive before being damaged far too much now. So this needs addressed pronto. The potential is huge, but I think it’s because they made a 'one size fits all' game, so the balance; unlike an easy,medium and hard difficulty. Doesn’t work in all scenarios- which of course it can’t.
Old 01-16-20, 12:53 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Tracer! thanks for rendering your excellent opinion...every thirteen years or so!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-30-21 at 10:44 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 04:34 PM   #5
Tracer
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

As my brother used to say, ‘it’s a rave from the grave'.
Yeah I’ve been around since probably 91 and simhq,combat sim, bombs away days. After a couple decades i changed direction in gaming. Then UBoat came along and it 'refreshed' me so I’ve fired-up SH3/4/5 again. I’ve always been around, just browsing. Enigma Rising Tide, was as far back as I remember.

Changed days indeed