SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-19, 02:17 AM   #1
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 0
Default Aircraft

I understand procedures for air evasion and diving. Early air vs late. I also assign two seamen to the watch officer, but when using time compression, aircraft are lethal.
No time too complete maneuvers before bombs are dropped and straddling the boat.
I wonder if it drops out of time compression too late...
No desire to accuire metox in may of 41. Nor have my gunner constantly manning the aa gun. Also, I got hit at night in the North Atlantic. Didnt realize Leigh lights were used that early up there.
Old 05-08-19, 03:51 AM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

There are a zillion threads about aircraft being op on the steam forums.
Ill copy and paste one of my replies from there.

This might be my fault, lol.
I volunteered to make aircraft models for this game and consulted with Nihil on aircraft research,
I think the planes (Sunderlands) are almost ok as they are, but they should miss occasionally, they always seem to be bang on target.
Also its abit odd the amount of injury they cause below deck, damage to the boat yes, but it seems everyone in the forward compartment gets knocked for six- that doesn't seem quite right to me.

But I did emphesize that aircraft from 42/43 onward presented a very serious threat. and that taking them on with AAA should produce odds that are roughly 2 to 1 in the Planes favour. they should not be mindless cannon fodder at that point (or at any point really).

However, they shouldn't be quite so nasty in 39-41 either because even with early ASV they were mostly using the defective 100lb AS bomb (Aka the light bulb buster.) And setting them to explode too deep.
I'm not sure what the Sunderlands are dropping in game now -but it seemd like they might be using the 250lb's given the amount of damage they do. maybe that needs correcting.

Regarding Night attacks, In 1941 ASV was introduced so planes started night patrols that year, however the number of ASV equipped planes was very low to begin with, so Sunderlands attacking at night in 41 should be possible but very rare.

it should also get easier when some lighter aircraft types get introduced to the game and Sunderland numbers will go down.
Another contributing factor is that games controls don't allow you to get under as fast as real U-boat could.

In a nutshell
It does need some adjusting. But its a multi faceted problem.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 10:37 AM   #3
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Thanks for the reply and that answers my questions..