SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-21, 07:42 PM   #16
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

So, my AMP 1/144th scale B-2A Spirit Bomber (kit # 14002) showed up from Ukraine a couple of days ago.

It should be noted that this is a "limited run" kit. It isn't exactly molded for a new modeler, you should already have some experience with things like scratch building, carving plastic, and kit bashing. Not that you'll be doing anything like that, but you do want more than a "newbie experience" level. In other words, if your idea of building a model involves the word "Tamiya" and cutting off all the parts and throwing them in a box with some glue, you may want to pass on this one.

What you get is actually quite good, especially at this scale. So, let's dive into this thing.

I ordered this kit on EBay, direct from the factory (or barn or shed) somewhere close to Kiev and paid US $50 which also included shipping. Total shipping time was 20 days, which is fair enough. As I had mentioned, this is considered a "limited run" kit. Meaning, it won't be produced in the same numbers as kits from the big companies.

Surface detail is somewhere in between the GWH and Academy B-52s.
It really isn't bad at all, the recessed panel lines are thin but crisp. The "shark tooth" panel edges the B-2 is famous for are reproduced well, as are the refueling doors (open or shut options) and separate crew access hatch.
Landing gear and bomb bay doors look great while the complex engine inlets and even more complex exhausts look really good. How well they all fit together is yet to be seen, but I feel confident. Still, at this level of detail at this scale, you WILL want to dry fit everything, before and after laying down your paint. This kit is engineered to the same level of detail as a modern 1/48th scale airplane kit but the parts were then scaled down to 1/144th. Something has to give, and it will probably be somewhere in the landing gear or the bomb bay.
Canopy glass features clean moldings and lines and my only gripe is that the clear parts look just a little too thick, but not by much. A pre-cut canopy and wheel mask set is provided.

Decals are.. freaky good. No kidding, this kit has a lot of high points but the decals are over the top. They are printed for AMP by a company in Ukraine called Decograph. They are seriously giving Cartograph a run for their money, the level of detail is almost impossibly crisp (ALL of the stencils like "no step" are legible) and the colors look accurate. How they lay down and perform is yet to be seen, but I'm looking forward to building this thing. If you buy this kit, make sure you have a good magnifying glass on hand when you check out the decal sheet. Markings are provided for four Spirits from the 509th BW at Whiteman AFB, Spirit of New York, Indiana, Arizona, and California.

Like all kits, there are some weak points. First and foremost are the instructions. AMP assumes that you know what you're doing and many of the detail parts assemblies are just lacking in how to put them together.
If you know how to dry fit parts and assemble them without looking at the instructions, pat yourself on the back. The color for the main body is listed as FS 36118 Dark Gray and I would really want to verify that. Check online sources, other B-2 kits, or builds on YouTube. The tires and bombs (you only get 8 MK82 "slicks") are the "soft" parts of this kit. They just look to be slightly lacking, resin replacements might save the day. The bomb bay features two rotary launchers and these things are a nightmare to assemble. Don't panic, drill out the two points that join together, and drop some thin metal rods into the joint. Same basic idea with the landing gear, the struts just look like a disaster waiting to happen.

Oh yeah, there is also FLASH on some of the parts. Not like the old days with Airfix or Italieri kits, but there is FLASH. Either write to your elected officials, cry and whine online, or just remove it.
One area that WILL require some time are the edges of the bomb bay on the lower fuse half. The open bay had a sprue inside it in order to mold the part and you'll need to CAREFULLY remove the attachment lumps on the edges. A small file and some careful scribing or carving should produce good results. One more thing to mention, like most "limited run" kits, there are NO alignment pins or holes inside the body and wings. You're on your own, so glue carefully. A little on the pricey side but recommended for the advanced or experienced builder and the decal sheet really needs to be seen to be believed.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 11:02 AM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

cool Why a bomber has a rock group named after it & stars in movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
The Air Force had a habit of elbowing its way into Navy missions.
Well you're obviosly going to need a Nimitz carrier model to augment your elbow scenario BBY! I advised my Nephew to attend the AF Academy(1980's) insted of West Point a few decades ago; He commanded Creech AFB (drones)in Nevada and has just been promoted to Brigadier General They don't call it a workhorse fer nuthin'!!?? "Good Stuff"(by the B-52's!)> ...and make very sure the little pilot has his Stetson on...for serious elbowing!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-24-21 at 11:19 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote