SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-20, 12:05 PM   #3481
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1813 Battle of Leipzig, largest battle in Europe prior to WWI, Napoleon's forces defeated by Prussia, Austria and Russia.

1941 Germany advances within 60 miles (96 K) of Moscow.

1946 10 Nazi leaders are hanged as war criminals after Nuremberg war trials, including Wilhelm Keitel, Joachim von Ribbentrop and Alfred Jodl.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis begins as JFK is shown photos confirming the presence of Soviet missiles in Cuba.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 02:27 PM   #3482
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 Gittin' the 'drop' on the bad guys...Accidently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1946: 10 Nazi leaders are hanged as war criminals after Nuremberg war trials, including Wilhelm Keitel, Joachim von Ribbentrop and Alfred Jodl.
Considering their Super-stud status in the Third Reich's heyday....they weren't well hung in the end! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Woods
Quote:
Woods also participated in the execution of about 45 war criminals at various locations which included Rheinbach, Bruchsal, Landsberg, and Nuremberg. Donald E. Wilkes Jr., a professor of law at the University of Georgia Law School, noted that many of the executed Nazis fell from the gallows with a drop insufficient to snap their necks, resulting in their death by strangulation that in some cases lasted several minutes. Woods stated:
I hanged those ten Nazis ... and I am proud of it ... I wasn't nervous. ... A fellow can't afford to have nerves in this business. ... I want to put in a good word for those G.I.s who helped me ... they all did swell. ... I am trying to get [them] a promotion. ... The way I look at this hanging job, somebody has to do it. I got into it kind of by accident, years ago in the States ...
The 'standard drop' vs the British 'long drop...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 12:37 PM   #3483
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 USS Kearney becomes the first US destroyer torpedoed in World War II, while the country is still officially neutral.

1943 Liberators sink U-540 & U-631

1943 Burma railway completed, built by Allied POWs and Asian laborers for use of the Japanese army.

1960 US & Britain sign accord for nuclear submarine bases.

2017 Islamic State headquarters Raqqa declared under full control of US-led alliance by Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) spokesman Talal Sello after 4 months of fighting.

Old 10-17-20, 01:10 PM   #3484
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:

1943 Liberators sink U-540 & U-631
Damn those American sources!
Quote:
U-631: type VIIC Sunk on 17 October 1943 in the North Atlantic south-east of Cape Farewell, Greenland, in position 58.13N, 32.29W, by depth charges from the British corvette HMS Sunflower. 54 dead (all hands lost).
https://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5555.html U-540 was sunk very nearby by 2 Liberators...A slower-diving XIC type
Quote:
Sunk on 17 October 1943 in the North Atlantic south-east of Cape Farewell, Greenland, in position 58.38N, 31.56W, by depth charges from two British Liberator aircraft (59 Sqn RAF/D & 120 Sqn RAF/H). 55 dead (all hands lost).
Whether by sea or by air, they didn't call it Cape Farewell fer nuthin' No doubt, a "fog of war" claim subject to postwar verification correction issue.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-17-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 12:03 PM   #3485
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1867 Alaska Purchase: US takes formal possession of Alaska from Russia, having paid $7.2 million.

1919 David Beatty is created 1st Earl Beatty, Viscount Borodale, and Baron Beatty of the North Sea and Brooksby.

1931 American gangster Al Capone convicted of tax evasion.

1942 Hitler orders captured allied commandos to be killed.

Old 10-18-20, 08:40 PM   #3486
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
1867 Alaska Purchase: US takes formal possession of Alaska from Russia, having paid $7.2 million.
A bargain...formerly referred to as Seward's Folly; but in today's global situation, giving a good Bering chokepoint on the the "yellow peril"; not content with their aggravating claim on the apparently Sino-exclusive South China Sea, exploring new Arctic commercial routes to the West thru the Arctic ocean...incl. profitable oceanic mineral surveys! I see an upcomining Canadian-Russia-US detente to stop the current aggressive global Sino-expansion in the heretofore Russo-N. American backyard.

Old 10-19-20, 12:12 PM   #3487
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1781 British forces under General Charles Cornwallis sign terms of surrender to George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau at Yorktown at 2 pm, ending the US Revolutionary War.

1812 Napoleon's forces begin their retreat from Moscow.

1950 UN forces enter Pyongyang, capital of North Korea.

1951 US President Harry Truman formally ends state of war with Germany.

1977 Corpse of kidnapped West German, H M Schleyer, found.

1987 US warships destroy 2 Iranian oil platforms in Persian Gulf.

Old 10-20-20, 11:42 AM   #3488
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1918 In order to secure a WWI armistice, Germany agrees to further concessions.

1921 Germany and Allies comes to an agreements over reparation payments in a meeting at Wiensbaden.

1944 US 1st army wins battle of Aachen.

1944 US forces under General Douglas MacArthur return to the Philippines with the landing of the US 6th army on Leyte.

1973 Queen Elizabeth II opens the Sydney Opera House.

Old 10-21-20, 11:34 AM   #3489
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1805 Battle of Trafalgar: British Admiral Horatio Nelson defeats combined French and Spanish fleet. Nelson shot and killed during battle.

1854 Florence Nightingale with a staff of 38 nurses is sent to the Crimean War.

1917 First Americans to see action on front lines of WWI: US troops enter front lines at Sommervillier under French command.

1944 World War II: US troops capture Aachen, first large German city to fall.

1948 UN rejects Russian proposal to destroy atomic weapons.

1960 First British nuclear sub HMS Dreadnought launched.

1966 116 children and 28 adults died as a coal waste heap slid and engulfed a school in Aberfan, South Wales.

Old 10-21-20, 12:30 PM   #3490
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
1805 Battle of Trafalgar: British Admiral Horatio Nelson defeats combined French and Spanish fleet. Nelson shot and killed during battle.
" Tis kismet Hardy!"

Old 10-22-20, 10:37 AM   #3491
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1948 Egyptian flagship King Farouk sunk by Israel.

1954 West Germany joins North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy addresses TV about Russian missile bases in Cuba and imposes a naval blockade on Cuba, beginning the missile crisis.

1964 EMI rejects audition by "High Numbers"; they go on to become The Who.

1969 Paul McCartney denies rumours of his death.

Old 10-23-20, 01:47 PM   #3492
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1911 First aerial reconnaissance mission is flown by an Italian pilot over Turkish lines during the Italo-Turkish War.

1917 1st Infantry division "Big Red One" shoots first US shot in WW I

1942 German units go through Red October-factory in Stalingrad.

1944 Vice Admiral Takeo Kurita's flagship the heavy cruiser Atago sinks during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

1981 US national debt hits $1 trillion.

2001 The Provisional Irish Republican Army of Northern Ireland commences disarmament after peace talks.

Old 10-25-20, 07:39 AM   #3493
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1881 Levi P Morton, US ambassador to France drives first rivet in Statue of Liberty.

1940 Adolf Hitler meets the Head of the French State Marshal Philippe Pétain.

1944 US air raid on Japanese battleships and cruisers in Sibuya Sea: Musashi sinks.

1944 US aircraft carrier Princeton sinks at Philippines.

1944 US Captain David Mccampbell shoots down 9-11 Japanese planes in Gulf of Leyte.

1946 A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket, launched from Whites Sands US, takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet ships approach but stop short of the US blockade of Cuba.

Old 10-25-20, 07:47 AM   #3494
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1415 Battle of Agincourt: Henry V's forces defeat larger French army and the longbow defeats the armoured knight.

1854 The infamous "Charge of the Light Brigade" during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War results in over 100 killed.

1962 US Ambassador to the UN Adlai Stevenson demands USSR UN rep Zorin answer regarding Cuban missile bases saying "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over"

1971 United Nations votes to expel the Chinese Nationalist ruled Taiwan and admit the Communist People's Republic of China.

2017 Chinese Premier Xi Jinping unveils his new ruling council in the Great Hall of the People, none of the five are young enough to succeed him.

Old 10-25-20, 04:45 PM   #3495
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
1415 Battle of Agincourt: Henry V's forces defeat larger French army and the longbow defeats the armoured knight. Presumably, The french learned the arrow of their ways!
and started wearing pauldrons instead of spauldrons!

1854 The infamous "Charge of the Light Brigade" during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War results in over 100 killed. Not to mention over 300 horses killed or destroyed!

1962 US Ambassador to the UN Adlai Stevenson demands USSR UN rep Zorin answer regarding Cuban missile bases saying "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over" Maybe the Russkies will open an Embassy in Napa....no chance of freezing over!

1971 United Nations votes to expel the Chinese Nationalist ruled Taiwan and admit the Communist People's Republic of China. We'll pay for that one and the nonreponse to Tibet in '59 shortly when the Chinese force their way into Taiwan.

2017 Chinese Premier Xi Jinping unveils his new ruling council in the Great Hall of the People, none of the five are young enough to succeed him.
Pretty much why they always pick an old pope...he won't last too long; and the College of Cardinals has no lack of old candidates.