SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-20, 04:39 AM   #241
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Heard some vineyards and vineries were burnt down, with the loss of some hundreds thousands of bottles.. i know it's only material damage but..
And only 2-5 percent of the fires under control ?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 05:09 AM   #242
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 11:10 AM   #243
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Semi serious question: With all the devastation on the west coast, where are all the Sasquatch?
Keep yer head down and yer powder dry. At least the locust haven't shown up yet.
]My wife insists I'm a Yeti in my own right...as for powder, thats somthing of an issue as my 3 lbs reenacting black powder and one tube of modern for reloading 45-70 Sharps & trapdoor Springfield are in a metal trunk with my bullet lead and molds in the mancave armory,,,if the shack goes up...it really goes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Heard some vineyards and vineries were burnt down, with the loss of some hundreds thousands of bottles.. i know it's only material damage but..
And only 2-5 percent of the fires under control ?
15% contained. One of the museum's other board members is at Schramsburg next to the damaged Castile di Amoroso winery. They had seriously cut back the dense undergrowth and barely saved the old founder's 1850's mansion. Fortunately, most of the bottled stuff is fermenting in deep caves I love to visit but the Cabernet Sauvignon still on the vines is pretty toasted or too smokey to be used. The tourist tax for the county, a major municipal income source, already impacted by Covid(25% hotel occupancy) and residential property taxes are going to be seriously afflicted. But at least the evacuees have places to stay. So far, this season, I've not been summond for anti-looting work...always a problem in these affairs. At my age, it's tough to tell "the bad guys" (locusts! indeed!)anyway if everyone's wearing a mask!!?. EDIT: No sooner do I post this, than I note my local paper's headline: "Hotels welcome evacuees"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
great video...the "new normal" a calm moonlit night with mild winds helps. The fire season,still far from over: 8,200 fires; 4,000,000!! (6,250 sq. miles)acres burned; 31 dead; 8400 buildings. By comparison, the 2018 season only burned 1.67 million acres! I 'spect I'm a "closet Catholic"ie: after time in purgatory surely I shall attain paradise... even Paradise CA [82 dead 95% destroyed)didn't survive!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-05-20 at 09:43 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 07:48 PM   #244
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
SF this evening. It has looked like a martian sky all day long and everything is getting a coating of ash. At least it doesn't smell bad even if it is unhealthy.
@ EICHBBY : What CA does for art these days!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-05-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 08:15 PM   #245
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I don't think 15% is climate change when 85% is caused by man

https://www.foxnews.com/science/deva...tomy-explained

Quote:
Wildland fires “are fires that occur on undeveloped land such as forests, prairies and shrublands; they include both wildfires and prescribed fires,” according to the United States Geological Survey.

Citing 2000 to 2017 data based on Wildland Fire Management Information (WFMI), and the U.S. Forest Service Research Data Archive, the National Park Service reports that nearly 85% of wildland fires in the U.S. are caused by humans.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 08:24 PM   #246
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Good to know my California friends are still safe. As always, prayers for everyone.
Old 10-13-20, 01:23 PM   #247
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool The deritus of destruction

The Glass and the bigger Hennessey LNU fire have left a big cleanup in store for Napa. Combined, the 600 homes and 350 commercial buldings incl. well known wineries and resorts are a seroius mess,
Phase 1: the state dept of Toxic Substance Control removes pedticides, gasoline etc. 90% of this is done for the Henessey fire. The much bigger Phase 2 job: ash and debris is handled by the Fed Emergency Management Agency. Owners can do their own or 'go public' and turnover their insurence cleanup reciepts to th Governor's Office of Emergency Services...most owners will use the xpublic' option. The 2017 Nuns and Tubbs fires created 250,000 tons for landfills. (practise makes perfect!?)This will be even bigger. Waterways and drinking water are at risk and with temperatures in the 90's, the fire season ain't over yet! The Glass fire is in mopup with 95% containment, 196 households still evacuated. Power cutoffs are still in effect. The impact to the tourist-based winery/hotel economy, already at 25%
hotel occupancy due to Covid, has yet to be calculated; but wiill certainly diminish county coffers considerably; . and we're certainly overdue for another major earthquake!

Old 10-21-20, 11:25 AM   #248
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Finis...for the moment

Cal Fire has declred th Glass Fire in Napa and Sonoma Counties 100% contained. 23 days of intense destruction: 642 homes, 343 commercial buidings destroyed. The cause remains under investigation. Temperatures remain high, we are under a Red Flag wind warning with potential power shutdowns and the fire season is still a ongoing threat. Thankyou firefighters!

Old 10-23-20, 09:55 PM   #249
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Glad to hear it contained. Prayers and good luck on the rebuilding.
Old 10-24-20, 06:01 AM   #250
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Good to hear, i hope this is it for a longer time!
Thanks to the fire fighters, can't say this often enough.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 06:26 AM   #251
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Good to hear, i hope this is it for a longer time!
Thanks to the fire fighters, can't say this often enough.
DITTO

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 12:13 AM   #252
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default In pictures: Silverado wildfire rages in California

Quote:
A wildfire has forced evacuation orders for 100,000 people in southern California.

The Silverado Fire broke out just before sunrise on Monday in Orange County, south of Los Angeles.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54694971

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 11:23 AM   #253
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool Couldn't hardly post this in "Cool Photos" thread!

This was in today's local paper; shot at the start of the Glass Fire...and we're finally getting rain today... both my morning newspapers were in plastic!
Quote:
An oft-cited statistic is that Napa Valley produces less than 4% of the wine in California. The point of the statistic is that the valley makes only a tiny fraction of the wine, thereby inferring a link to quality. And in many ways it’s true. Wines from the region are considered some of the rarest and best in the United States and the world. However, the statistic is misleading and undercuts the influence and importance of the region as a bellwether for the entire state and beyond.
According to the grape-acreage crop report put out every year by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, in 2019 the Napa Valley grew more than 9.5% of the wine grapes in the state.
Because many other regions grow more grapes per vine, the total production of wine from Napa does only represent about 4%, but because the price per ton of grapes is higher and these wines fetch a higher price, this small county actually represents a disproportionate percentage of the total wine-industry revenue for the entire state — 24.5% of the total wine grape sales, for example.
And because California represents 85% of America’s wine production and 90% of U.S. wine exports, this means that as goes the Napa Valley, so goes much of the entire United States wine industry.
And this is not just an isolated event. Napa and the three nearby counties — Lake, Mendocino and Sonoma — make up about 27% of the state’s total wine-grape acres but bring in more than 47% of the wine-grape revenue. And all four counties have been negatively affected by fires and smoke. In fact, nearly all wine-growing regions in California have with more than 4 million acres burned — more than 4% of the entire landmass of the state.
Now that's somethin' to wine about!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-13-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 12:13 PM   #254
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Watch out for landslides with the rain coming now

Show us your home Aktung

https://www.info.com/serp?q=real+tim...AAOUJInr0IXb11
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote