Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-20, 02:07 PM   #61
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I don't think Team orders a viewed favorably. There was a huge backlash years ago when Ferrari pulled that trick at Hockenheim with the fans booing the podium.
I think it still goes on at times but in a more clandestine way than in the past.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 02:42 PM   #62
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Valtteri will get first call on pit strategy as the primary driver, but he could very well get beaten by having yet another bad start, and Max as well. Both of them have been having poor starts this year.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 06:03 AM   #63
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jut come across this a few minutes ago.

Quote:
The team know Russell well, and vice versa, but Wolff said: "What is most impressive is the sheer driving. Everything else around was as expected. But the driving was impressive."

And this despite a car into which he does not fit well at all. At 6ft 1in, Russell is five inches taller than Hamilton. He is wearing boots a size too small to allow his size 11 feet to operate the pedals. There was no time to mould him a new seat, so he is using one from a year ago. He is suffering for all this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55203576

Old 12-06-20, 12:50 PM   #64
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

34 lapa completed and Russell has led from the start.

Old 12-06-20, 02:20 PM   #65
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Sergio Perez’s F1 future may be uncertain – but whatever happens, the Mexican is now an F1 winner, after he benefitted from a nightmare Sakhir Grand Prix for Mercedes to claim his first ever Formula 1 victory, as Renault’s Esteban Ocon and Racing Point’s Lance Stroll completed the podium on a wild evening in Bahrain.

It had initially looked as though George Russell was set to pull off an incredible maiden victory on his first outing for Mercedes, having aced the start to lead pole-sitter Valtteri Bottas for the majority of the Grand Prix.

But Mercedes gave Russell the wrong tyres when he was pitted under a Safety Car on Lap 63 of 87, forcing another pit stop to correct the error – while Russell then suffered a puncture that left him P9 at the flag for what was at least his first ever F1 points finish.

On his 190th F1 start, Perez had been forced to pit at the end of Lap 1, dropping to last place after getting caught up in a Turn 4 crash that eliminated Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, and was due to be investigated after the race. But an incredible turn of pace from the Mexican allowed him to benefit from Mercedes’ pit error – which also left Valtteri Bottas on old hard tyres, the Finn coming home P8 – to sensationally claim his and Racing Point’s first ever victory, a week after an MGU-K failure had robbed him of a podium.

Old 12-06-20, 02:48 PM   #66
Buddahaid

Mercedes almost never makes mistakes and they blew it for once.

David Bowie
Old 12-07-20, 06:23 AM   #67
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

They have apologised publicly and rightly so imho.

I can see Russell replacing Bottas when his contract expires, currently at the end of this year as far as I'm aware.

Old 12-11-20, 09:21 AM   #68
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Max Verstappen finished fastest in first practice in Abu Dhabi, with the Red Bull driver just 0.034s ahead of Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas – while Lewis Hamilton was fifth on his return to the cockpit.

Practice 1

Old 12-11-20, 02:12 PM   #69
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Practice 2

Old 12-12-20, 09:39 AM   #70
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Max Verstappen delivered a magical lap in qualifying to snatch a shock pole position for the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Red Bull driver getting the better of Mercedes for the first time in 2020 with the top three separated by just 0.086s…

Qualifying

Old 12-13-20, 11:32 AM   #71
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

An imperious display from Max Verstappen saw him breeze to his second victory of 2020 at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale, leading home the Mercedes duo of Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton, who had no answer to the Red Bull’s pace around the Yas Marina Circuit.

With Mercedes having taken every pole and race win in Abu Dhabi since 2014, Verstappen reversed that trend with pole on Saturday, before converting it with a dominant performance under the floodlights, as he led home Bottas by 15 seconds, with Hamilton coming home just behind his team mate on his first race back since contracting Covid-19.

Old 12-13-20, 02:05 PM   #72
Buddahaid

Good race and fun to see Mercedes on the back foot for once although they had to dial back a bit on their MGU-K for reliability. Also good to have a race with a clean start and the only safety car due to unlucky Perez's gearbox stranding his car on the track.

Next year will be a hoot with some new aero rules and Red Bull branded Aston Martin bringing the venerable British car make back to F1 after sixty some odd years. Also good to know that what started as Stewart Racing is now that Aston Martin and Seb will be driving.

Bottas will keep his seat at Mercedes while Lewis enters contract negotiations.

David Bowie
Old 12-14-20, 06:45 AM   #73
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Hamilton appeared to be far from his best especially after testing positive for the virus but I suspect he will win the title again next year but by a much tighter/shorter margin.

Old 12-18-20, 11:05 AM   #74
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Perez to replace Albon for 2021. Clearly this was the move Red Bull had to make, even though I had doubts they would. Albon underperformed all season, and if they are to challenge Mercedes they needed a better driver in the second seat.

To be fair, I think the Red Bull is a tricky ride, one that Max can handle, but Albon was unable to get the most out of. It will be interesting to see whether Perez can match Max's pace in qualifying and race trim. If he does, it shows Albon underperformed. If he doesn't, it shows how good Max really is.

But to keep on with Albon, when a clearly better option existed in Perez, would have been a mistake, existing contract or no. So Red Bull did the right thing here I think. It would have been a real shame for Perez to have no seat next season after his remarkable 2020. He is fully deserving, and must feel relieved. His car has never matched his talent I don't think. Now he gets the chance to show what he can do in a top car.
Old 12-18-20, 11:55 AM   #75
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post

To be fair, I think the Red Bull is a tricky ride, one that Max can handle, but Albon was unable to get the most out of. It will be interesting to see whether Perez can match Max's pace in qualifying and race trim. If he does, it shows Albon underperformed. If he doesn't, it shows how good Max really is.
My thoughts precisely