SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-23, 10:46 PM   #1
XonE:32
Bosun

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default Great fun, but I'm crap

Hiya,

long time simmer/sub-simmer, first-time ..Cold Water(er)? Many things I need to figure out as I only bought it yesterday lol. Willing to figure it all out, but one thing I don't get and it's bugging me most. Once I've killed everything in the first mission (e.g. go to grid green 011 and sink all etc.) I hit the "exit", I look to see all my requirements are green and hit continue to get back onto the campaign screen. The first screen tells me I've done a great job etc and sunk this much but then the nxt screen says something like : "Great initiative, but you didn't complete the assigned mission" or some such.

Did I miss something? Am I supposed to patrol for more time in case something shows up in the battle area?
Cheers in advance for any tips.

"I said get in his baffles, not climb up his arse to see what he had for elevenses!"

Last edited by XonE:32; 05-04-23 at 08:36 PM.
XonE:32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-23, 09:43 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

XonE:32!...after 14 years' 'silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 07:50 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XonE:32 View Post
Hiya,

long time simmer/sub-simmer, first-time ..Cold Water(er)? Many things I need to figure out as I only bought it yesterday lol. Willing to figure it all out, but one thing I don't get and it's bugging me most. Once I've killed everything in the first mission (e.g. go to grid green 011 and sink all etc.) I hit the "exit", I look to see all my requirements are green and hit continue to get back onto the campaign screen. The first screen tells me I've done a great job etc and sunk this much but then the nxt screen says something like : "Great initiative, but you didn't complete the assigned mission" or some such.

Did I miss something? Am I supposed to patrol for more time in case something shows up in the battle area?
Cheers in advance for any tips.

"I said get in his baffles, not climb up his arse to see what had for elevenses"

Hey there! So, multiple units may pass through your patrol area, but only one will be the actual target. You have to fight them all, unfortunately, as there isn't a sure-fire way to determine which is the target. The target is usually illuminated a bit longer than the non-target contacts on the overworld map, however.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 07:45 PM   #4
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
XonE:32!...after 14 years' 'silent running'!
Heh! Thnx M8. been awhile since I was at the TDC. Haven't picked up WP just yet. On the list.
Old 05-01-23, 07:53 PM   #5
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Hey there! So, multiple units may pass through your patrol area, but only one will be the actual target. You have to fight them all, unfortunately, as there isn't a sure-fire way to determine which is the target. The target is usually illuminated a bit longer than the non-target contacts on the overworld map, however.
Ahh, I see. That's interesting. I thought I'd killed everything. It didn't say (or I missed it) that something went "undetected".
Last night however, I got the same thing (I didn't complete the assigned mission), BUT on the tonnage page it DID say: 2 foxtrots killed but one went "undetected". I assume I should've trolled around for a bit to see if I could get it?
Thank you for the info. makes things a bit more clear as I did not see this info when I RTFM
Old 05-02-23, 07:58 PM   #6
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XonE:32 View Post
Ahh, I see. That's interesting. I thought I'd killed everything. It didn't say (or I missed it) that something went "undetected".
Last night however, I got the same thing (I didn't complete the assigned mission), BUT on the tonnage page it DID say: 2 foxtrots killed but one went "undetected". I assume I should've trolled around for a bit to see if I could get it?
Thank you for the info. makes things a bit more clear as I did not see this info when I RTFM
Oh, sorry, I misspoke. So, the map where you intercept enemy groups is what I was talking about, not when you're playing as a submarine in a battle against enemy units. So, multiple enemy groups may pass through your patrol area on the map but it's hard to tell which is which, so just engage them all (except of course if your target is a submarine group, you don't need to attack a surface group, etc.). In a battle against enemey units, if you sink greater than 50% of enemy contacts, you will be successful.

So, let's say your target is a group of guided missile submarines. An enemy group of submarines reaches your patrol area, you engage them in battle, and sink all targets: two Whiskeys and a Foxtrot. There obviously weren't any guided missile submarines in that group, so you sunk enemy ships, but didn't meet the objectives of your mission. You wait some more in your patrol area, and another submarine group passes through. You engage them and sink all contacts: a Whiskey and a Juliett guided missile submarine. In this instance, your debrief tells you good job and that you sunk your target. So, just keep engaging the specific type of enemy group on the map if they pass through your patrol area until you reach your objective. I hope that makes things clearer! Good hunting.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-23, 08:41 PM   #7
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Oh, sorry, I misspoke. So, the map where you intercept enemy groups is what I was talking about, not when you're playing as a submarine in a battle against enemy units. So, multiple enemy groups may pass through your patrol area on the map but it's hard to tell which is which, so just engage them all (except of course if your target is a submarine group, you don't need to attack a surface group, etc.). In a battle against enemey units, if you sink greater than 50% of enemy contacts, you will be successful.

So, let's say your target is a group of guided missile submarines. An enemy group of submarines reaches your patrol area, you engage them in battle, and sink all targets: two Whiskeys and a Foxtrot. There obviously weren't any guided missile submarines in that group, so you sunk enemy ships, but didn't meet the objectives of your mission. You wait some more in your patrol area, and another submarine group passes through. You engage them and sink all contacts: a Whiskey and a Juliett guided missile submarine. In this instance, your debrief tells you good job and that you sunk your target. So, just keep engaging the specific type of enemy group on the map if they pass through your patrol area until you reach your objective. I hope that makes things clearer! Good hunting.

Tah. I def need to pay closer attention to the mission deets.