Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 05-25-07, 07:28 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Two SBP missions: "playtesters" wanted

I am currently putting together a small mini-campaign of three, maybe four connected missions. The first two are "ready", but I would like to get some input, opinions, suggestions before I officially set them up at the SBP library (in a package together with the last mission/s ), especially if you note any locks, showstopping flaws, and serious stuff.

Note that point score briefing is not and probably will not be included.

Leave a note with your name here in the thread when you download it. Tomorrow morning, or whenever there will be two or three or four names, I will disable the downloads again.

Okay, what's it about? It's is an excercise, German-Swedish Rapid Reaction Force versus OpFor, formed by American units (no, no Russians in these missions )

Mission one, roughly half an hour, is pretty much linear and scripted and almost runs by itself, it is meant to be an introduction to the overall mood only. You probably do not play it more often than just once or twice. Not really difficult. It is a first patrol on the flank to secure an airfield from where the reaction force is beeing brought in.

Mission two can be played with EITHER CV9040s, OR Leopards. It is a robust reconnaissance of several villages, with limited visibility. OpFor is heavily randomized. This mission can be very, very tricky, and cannot always be won, I think. The player has far more degrees of freedom, and thus it is difficult for me to test and judge if I considered all eventualities. It runs parallel to the first mission, thus you even get radio messages from the first mission in the second. The mission can play very long, and needs partially careful individual unit management. It also offers great opportunities to make use of the new UGVs, and offers infiltrating infantry playing hide and seek with enemy tanks in urban areas.

Concenring the second mission I would like to get your feedback what you think, if you noted serious problems somewhere. the AI has problems to realize when you are capable to see hostile units in towns and woods, so I failed to manage the conditions being triggered correctly once you are at the objective. You need to judge yourself if you saw all objectives you are ordered to examine.

I do not claim that I illustrate the high art of mission designing here, I put together some smaller scenarios for private use before, and released one automatic demonstration some weeks ago. This is the first playing project I intend to release, if I manage to get it bug-free. However, I enjoy to play around with the editors. Where I found better solutions for a problem afterwards, I sticked with the old ones if they still worked as intended.

link deleted

link deleted

Let me know.

The third mission will be the counteroffensive of OpFor trying to smash the beachhead, and if I do a fourth one, this will be great main offensive of Rapid Reaction.

I am no military, so I do not approach it with the knowledge of a pro. I see it very much from a gamer's perspective searching some challenge, excitement and immersion. So the setup may not be too realistic, maybe.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-04-07 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-27-07, 01:26 PM   #2
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Hi Sky

I have downloaded them, and tried out the first one. Nice setting with the road going down into the narrow valley. Everything played out well I think. Not to difficult, but still things to keep you on your toes. The final outcome was still an emabarresment though. After arriving safely at the platoons destination I was manouvering around a bit to really clear the ridge behind the tanktraps from troops. Ops...
I will try it one or two more times to see if i can come up with ideas for any improvement.

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 05:08 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Nice to hear that. As I said, the first mission is pretty much linear and heavily scripted. Ouh, and take better care of your formation and tactic orders to prevent things like on your photo!

I have replaced the AI in the second several times now, and although I have not found a solution to the AI not cooperating with my conditions for the objectives, it nevertheless plays very tough now. as a matter of fact I get surprised by my own randomizations, and get killed by my own design time and again Be advised that it offers plenty of freedom, but last for 1-3 hours, depending on how you play it. All I can say is: play very, very carefully. It can be won (I did so twice), but a bit luck and extreme caution is needed for that.

A last, and hopefully final version of the scripts for mission 2 will be posted this night.
Old 05-27-07, 06:36 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

A new version 1.1 for the second mission is uploaded. It has some major changes in scripting. Make sure you use this, please. The mission has some complex scripting and major randomizations, as far as I can see it and tested it, all chains of events and conditions work well now.

Note that the mission plays for 1-3 hours, depending on your way to approach the objective. I also would think that it is pretty mean and tough going. The many small needles easily can accumulate to one lethal nail.
Old 05-28-07, 04:01 PM   #5
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Just had a go on your updated second mission. Unfortunatley I didn't have time to do it properly. Should have trusted your estimation, but I really had to go out running for my upcoming trip to the alps... Anyway, managed to maul some infantry groups and a few bmps. I feel like a rabbit on the big open fields with these guys around... Pretty impressive shot for a ATGM! But the guy never got the chance to write home about it... I will try this some more tonight.

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 05-28-07 at 04:14 PM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 04:36 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Strange sky texture, considering that it is meant to be grey morning with fog! The mission can be won, but it takes much time and is very difficult. Slow and careful advance is key. I have two other guys testing it for me, so far it runs okay for them, they say.