SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-17, 05:45 AM   #16
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 2

It will nice to hear any warning sound (like enemy torpedo in the water).

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 05:51 AM   #17
Lost At Sea
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0

Excellent suggestion !
You must have had that "where did that come from?" Moment, haven't you?

Cheers,
Lost
Lost At Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 10:25 AM   #18
Lost At Sea
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94

And a basic recording / replay for movie-makers and screenshot aficionados.

Cheers,
Lost
Lost At Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 12:36 PM   #19
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 2

I need a clock also, yes, simply hour and minutes....
Its important for time compression and for battles.

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 01:13 PM   #20
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

+1 Recorder with ability to show "truth" and yes, simple analog or digital clock would be awesome

And keep up good work, don't forgot gameplay, lots of realism request but those wont mater nothing if fun is gone. So balance
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 01:20 PM   #21
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

In real life you'd be able to catch a trim after doing an emergency blow but while still submerged (flood the ballast tanks, down angle on the planes) - this'd be useful.

Keep it so you have to surface to charge the bottles again by all means.
Old 06-12-17, 03:49 PM   #22
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

Please tune torpedos power up again, (or make it least option) now they are weak.. why to fix something that its not broken.
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 08:09 AM   #23
elrond petit pas tapons
Watch

Downloads: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
It will nice to hear any warning sound (like enemy torpedo in the water).
Yes, with orders to ! For immersion, looks like silent hunter serie !
elrond petit pas tapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 11:39 AM   #24
Check Six
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Default More realistic command

I understand why some people want to "drive" the boat, but in reality, the Captain merely gives an order "Bring her to periscope depth", "Make your course 015 degrees", "5 degrees down on the planes" etc. When you are trying to work out a firing solution, it pains me to slowly bring the boat onto my intended course, or having to watch the depth gauge when I should be concentrating on the enemy stalking me (or vice versa). At least make it a CHOICE to be able to give discreet orders or do it all yourself. Like others have said, the ability to place markers on the map to assist in TMA or firing solution, and the ability to plot waypoints for patrol (and also for torpedos). All that said, I love this game, and am so happy to have bought it. Please devs, keep listening to the community, and implement the ideas that are popular and simple enough to code.
Check Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 12:05 PM   #25
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check Six View Post
I understand why some people want to "drive" the boat, but in reality, the Captain merely gives an order "Bring her to periscope depth", "Make your course 015 degrees", "5 degrees down on the planes" etc. When you are trying to work out a firing solution, it pains me to slowly bring the boat onto my intended course, or having to watch the depth gauge when I should be concentrating on the enemy stalking me (or vice versa). At least make it a CHOICE to be able to give discreet orders or do it all yourself. Like others have said, the ability to place markers on the map to assist in TMA or firing solution, and the ability to plot waypoints for patrol (and also for torpedos). All that said, I love this game, and am so happy to have bought it. Please devs, keep listening to the community, and implement the ideas that are popular and simple enough to code.
I concur. Dangerous Waters is fun with the stations, but no one person does sonar, TMA, fire control, and leading the boat. I suppose you could say the same with Cold Waters leading the boat and doing the helm, but I feel directly piloting the sub is an extension of having to give those orders still.

Overall, I agree that I feel I have to focus on actual submarine tactics more in Cold Waters than in Dangerous Waters, where I feel most of the challenge is being able to just know how to work the stations. Dangerous Waters isn't the only way a submarine can be simulated.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 02:36 PM   #26
Hans Schultz
Sparky

Downloads: 5

I'd like to see NATO and Warsaw Pact units added to the game. Also the Pacific region.
Hans Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 12:45 AM   #27
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Overall, I agree that I feel I have to focus on actual submarine tactics more in Cold Waters than in Dangerous Waters, where I feel most of the challenge is being able to just know how to work the stations. Dangerous Waters isn't the only way a submarine can be simulated.
I agree. The way they set things up motivates you to do submarinish things much more than Dangerous Waters. I now stay 30 feet off the bottom rather than 5 because I can't control the sub as precisely. In real life of course you have a planesman but he won't keep your sub 5 feet off the seafloor at flank either because of bottom suction (which is not simulated, not here, not in DW). In fact, you'll move much less aggressively (and thus much more like a real sub) simply because of that lack of precision from an automated helmsman.

So the game forces the correct "result" its own way. For that reason I'm strongly suspicious of the push for automated maneuver control. In essence you are asking for the game to be made easier then its concept meant it to be.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 05:29 AM   #28
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Something just came to my mind.

While making crew commands, could you also make sub interior sounds when you're in tactical view? Something like Themsen's mod for SH3
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 06:28 AM   #29
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Is it just me or is the ESM level indicator hard to read?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 08:08 AM   #30
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Please work on the AI.

All it has to go on is one active ping and sends a torpedo in that direction, fair enough. What is not OK is the AI from that point on knowing exactly which direction you are heading, in real time, and correct the torpedo on every turn you make. Check this by modifying "SelfNoise" and "ActiveSonarReflection" to a very low number so there is no way you are detected through that, do active pinging until they launch, then go silent and deep. See the same with surface ships responding to a torpedo arriving, and from that knowing exactly where you are even tho you made a full 180 after launching them.
Seems to me like the AI knows exactly where you are but the devs have thrown in some randomizing on depth and distance until they have a more accurate sonar reading, in order for it to seem more legitimate. Problem is in the cases I've seen, they should have no reading to go on at all.

On that note the AI in general needs a lot of work. Seeing it too often turn into an active torpedo, launch noisemakers too soon/late or not at all, go nose first into the bottom, or not taking into consideration that its torpedoes are just as lethal to them. Send a MOSS into a wolf pack and watch the carnage. Also yet to see a boat successfully beat a torpedo, but don't know if that is historically accurate?
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote