SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-20, 03:49 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0
Default Conflicting Mods

I like to tweak a bit in these games, I can't help it, I used to do it in Flight Sim to see what would happen IF.

Anyway as some of you know I like to play as a ship a lot, so again I was just experimenting and using the JSGME, I added CL.xyz ship then added CL.abc ship. I got the overwrite popup but I accepted it then played to see what would happen.
On the map popped up a enemy small convoy, I sailed towards it, as usual the ship detected it and I accepted to attack, the ship fired long distance as it normally does but it was super accurate with it's aim, sinking the enemy a lot faster with less shots.
I found another convoy and again this happened, so it was obvious that whatever over-wrote or changed the files did something that made this happen.

This time it was in my favour but it could have gone the other way and made the ship a flop or even crashed the game.
I did this in a separate copy of the game by the way thus keeping the original safe from my tweaking lol.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 07:56 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When you are doing those "swaps" and / or combinations, are you emptying the Save folder between each JSGME change to the mod-set configuration? The game is really "funny" about loading incompatible stuff from a previous mod set-up if you don't empty the Save folder. The Save system is rather strange in that you would think you have to Save in order for it to have a file in it, but every time you start the game, it pulls info in from the Save folder, that the game itself put there the last time it ran. When you make changes to the mod set, it often involves over-writing existing files. If those file names are already in the Save folder, the next time the game runs, it uses the copy of the file in the Save folder, not the new one in the Game folder, and that is how you end up with weirdness in a "mostly fresh" modded game. If you empty the Save folder, the game will then pull the info from the Game folders, and put that into the Save folder for future use...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 08:34 AM   #3
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0

Wow, I couldn't have wrote that without getting it all wrong lol.

I understand now, thanks again for taking the time to answer, I just thought if you took a mod out and changed something in it and put it back that was all that was needed.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 11:44 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It actually depends upon what is edited. Anything though, that is found in the Save folder, has to be "re-set" with a Save folder "cleansing" and refilling.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote