SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-09, 05:32 PM   #1
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Question on Data Rights Management

Hi!

Jutland looks like a good game, but I have a question about the Data Rights Management (DRM) scheme: does that mean that I can no longer play the game if (Heaven forfend) Storm Eagle Studios goes under and the website is no longer available?

Thanks!

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 07:08 PM   #2
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Hi!

Jutland looks like a good game, but I have a question about the Data Rights Management (DRM) scheme: does that mean that I can no longer play the game if (Heaven forfend) Storm Eagle Studios goes under and the website is no longer available?

Thanks!

Pablo
Pablo: Thanks for your interest in Jutland!

This is a great question that comes up often.

In the event of the worst, i.e. Storm Eagle Studios going defunct, With the flick of a compile switch, Storm Eagle can release a final patch that can be applied locally, to remove the DRM.

If you think about it, should we did go under, why would we not do this?

Since we would be in a situation of not sellling the game any more, why would we care about copy protecting it?

Norm Koger, Conductor here at Storm Eagle, is still providing support to people who bought his first game, Stellar Crusade - 1988 SSI, 21 years later!

Can you name anyone else in the gaming industry with that kind of record?

Jim Rose
StormEagleStudios.Com
Lempereur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 09:35 PM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Default RE: Lempereur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempereur1
If you think about it, should we did go under, why would we not do this?
For one the code would be an asset, so if SES owed anyone money you just couldn't legally turn over your assets to fans. All one has to do is follow "your" postings on the gamesquad forums to date to get a feel for what kinds of actions "you" might take. Benevolence isn't in your DNA from what I've seen. Apologies to Norm Koger.
Old 02-11-09, 01:18 AM   #4
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Default So you found me..

Looks like we cant hide from you no matter where we go...

Ok you got me...

Take me to your......

Who do you work for?
Lempereur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 12:39 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I really do not understand the concern or upset over data rights and protection programs in this game or any game for that matter. Maybe one day someone can explain it to me. Until then, I play the games and not worry about protection programs, etc.
Old 02-12-09, 04:00 AM   #6
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Who do you work for?
The makers of Starforce, we're just mad that you came up with DRM worse than ours.
Old 02-13-09, 10:56 AM   #7
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
Quote:
Who do you work for?
The makers of Starforce, we're just mad that you came up with DRM worse than ours.
No more. This wannabe developer seems to suffer from the same delusions, game appears to be extremely unpopular, too

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:49 PM   #8
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
That's not in any way an accurate statement.

Starforce was a complete abonination, I agree. Besides sinking roots all through your system files that were nearly impossible to get rid of, IMHO the worst part about it was that it poisoned the whole world against the entire DRM concept. When folks hear "DRM", they think of Starforce, or perhaps Spore which is bad in different ways, and go on the warpath.

Our DRM has nothing in common with Starforce or Spore's system. It does nothing to your system; it's all within the game itself. If you uninstall our game, there's no trace of our DRM left on your system. And while it's still on your system, it affects nothing else on your system. You have unlimited uninstalls and reinstalls. You download the game onto as many computers as you want and easily transfer the license between them all as often as you want.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 02:40 PM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I see nothing wrong with this DRM. It is the nature of games today. They come with a copywrite protection system. There is no way around this as far as I can tell. Oh well, my game fires up and my computer is just fine. What is the worry
Old 02-13-09, 06:00 PM   #10
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I see nothing wrong with this DRM. It is the nature of games today. They come with a copywrite protection system. There is no way around this as far as I can tell.
Well I think It is a bit like pay TV, there's always a way around which is to avoid it.

Quote:
Oh well, my game fires up and my computer is just fine. What is the worry
Sure some people are happy to live for the moment.

Old 02-13-09, 06:05 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, actually.

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with this DRM. It is the nature of games today. They come with a copywrite protection system. There is no way around this as far as I can tell.
Well I think It is a bit like pay TV, there's always a way around which is to avoid it.

Quote:
Oh well, my game fires up and my computer is just fine. What is the worry
Sure some people are happy to live for the moment.
Sure, just like pay TV, getting around paying is well, theft. I guess that is part of living in the moment? If the protection right really bothers anyone, then the option is to not load the game. I have never had an issue with any protection device on a game. That includes SF. -shrug-
Old 02-13-09, 06:37 PM   #12
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

That theft remark was completely unnecessary. What I said was no one has to buy products only because they are in large supply. Living for the moment = be happy that something runs at the moment, without knowing whats really going on.

Old 02-13-09, 07:16 PM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
That theft remark was completely unnecessary. What I said was no one has to buy products only because they are in large supply. Living for the moment = be happy that something runs at the moment, without knowing whats really going on.
Well, a horse is a horse. Working around something to gain use that requires a payment for use is theft. Working around pay tv to receive the signal then is what? I completely missed the part were you explain something about a large supply. And living in the moment= happy something is running but not really knowing what is going on? So, just what is going on when I play Jutland or any other game with a protection device that causes such an uproar by little few? How would you handle protecting a game you created? Have you purchased Jutland?
Old 02-13-09, 07:35 PM   #14
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Not my problem if you think everyone who is advocating to not buy products with DRM must be a a pirate.

Quote:
So, just what is going on when I play Jutland or any other game with a protection device that causes such an uproar by little few?
I thought that's clear. Concerning Jutland, it will potentially refuse to play every 7 days. E.g. if you have no internet connection, or if the server does not accept your e-license. That's a bit like having batteries instead of a dynamo. Sooner or later someone will forget to charge them.

Other infamous DRM systems limit the number of installs to 3 that's also well known. Of course during the first installs everything will work fine.

Old 02-13-09, 07:43 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Quote:
So, just what is going on when I play Jutland or any other game with a protection device that causes such an uproar by little few?
I thought that's clear. Concerning Jutland, it will potentially refuse to play every 7 days. E.g. if you have no internet connection, or if the server does not accept your e-license. That's a bit like having batteries instead of a dynamo. Sooner or later someone will forget to charge them.

Other infamous DRM systems limit the number of installs to 3 that's also well known. Of course during the first installs everything will work fine.
From the developer and this DRM.

Quote:
Our DRM has nothing in common with Starforce or Spore's system. It does nothing to your system; it's all within the game itself. If you uninstall our game, there's no trace of our DRM left on your system. And while it's still on your system, it affects nothing else on your system. You have unlimited uninstalls and reinstalls. You download the game onto as many computers as you want and easily transfer the license between them all as often as you want.
This quote is what is clear to me. It could potentionally not play in 7 days?Everything in life could potentially not work on any given day. Does not stop me from making a purchase.