SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-08, 05:09 AM   #1
Zakalwe
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default OT: New "Jutland" screenshots

Maybe someone here is interested in the upcoming new SES title "Jutland".

I already own and love "Distant guns", but this one should be a heavy metal fans wet dream...

Enjoy:

http://www.gamesquad.com/index.php?o...&id=6&sid=1379

Greets

Z.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 06:11 AM   #2
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Thanks for posting, that looks great, a big improvement over the already good Distant Guns.
Old 09-14-08, 08:39 AM   #3
Kielhauler1961
中国水兵

Downloads: 1

Thanks for that!

I've always wanted a WW1 naval sim. That looks just the ticket. I'll keep an eye out for its release.
Kielhauler1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 12:10 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Did you know that among SubSim's many different boards is one dedicated to other games, including non-submarine naval games?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177

I believe Jutland has been discussed there before, though it's not currently on the first page.
Old 09-14-08, 04:13 PM   #5
Kielhauler1961
中国水兵

Thanks for that link Sailor Steve!

No, I wasn't aware there was a Subsim site on surface warfare, I hadn't even heard of 'Distant Guns' before... But then again there are plenty of things I don't know! The info on this forum is priceless.

Jutland is, and always has been, the most fascinating battle for me. It's just full of 'what if's', and begs re-fighting over and over. One of my great uncles served on HMS Lion and actually got through the battle unscathed.

Thanks again.

KH.
Kielhauler1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 06:09 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Pretty cool about your great-uncle. I've worked on-and-off for years on my own tabletop miniatures naval game. At the request of a friend I early-on started with World War I, and have done a lot of research on the ships themselves. My favorite book on the battle is John Campbell's Jutland: An Analysis Of The Fighting. He doesn't go into the whys and wherefores; he just gives an hour-by-hour account, including every shell known to have hit, where it hit and exactly what damage was done. The Jutland book for bean counters like me.
Old 09-15-08, 08:16 PM   #7
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Looks good!

It will be a nice change to to go back to being on the surface after spending so much time beneath the waves!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 07:44 AM   #8
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Jim Rose one of the developers of Jutland posted an update recently over at the DG forums here is what he said...

Quote:
"* Wakes - The bow wakes are dynamic and vary with the shape of the bow on each ship! Each wake is unique and not pre-planned.

* Water - The color of the water in the Jutland Render Engine changes based on time of day, cloud cover, depth, and user settings.

* Size of battles - The battle of Jutland itself is big. But you will be surprised how easy the fleet management is.

* Pro version - We will have a Pro version and a Standard version. More details very soon. The major difference is what ship models are included and a year long campaign vs a much shorter campaign focused around the Battle of Jutland. More later. We have hundreds of ships!

* Airships are in the game. So are the subs.

* Shore batteries are there. Some improvement to the towns. This is a naval game, not a land battle game.

* Gun Flashes - You are only seeing the inital flash. Wait till you see it all.

* Director Fire - Did I mention Nation based director fire?

* Lots of surprises"

Nice to see that subs have made their way in this time, the interface, camera controls and towns are also being revamped for the new game.

As to pricing in a later post he confirmed that Jutland Pro would probably retail at less than $70. Apparently the game is now in it's final 'tweaking and testing' stage, so fingers crossed we will see a release soon.

You can access the DG/Jutland forum here
Old 09-18-08, 08:51 AM   #9
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

I must admit my interest of this game is growing again. Hopefully the devs will soon issue a statement about DRM issues and support. No matter how much this game interests me I will never invest money into crippleware, especially if the developer lacks the resources to offer support.

See here what I mean before you reach for your wallet: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75977

However, the 70$ price tag doesnt bother me. Games of this type have become so rare that you must really ask yourself why one should not spend the extra 20-30 $ for uncompromising historical accuracy and realism. I would gladly spend twice as much for a lot of other titles to get more realism. Otherwise you have a lot of arcade games to choose from.

Here I quote some sort of official/unofficial statement that SES will stick with the DRM system from DG, but that there might be changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead
As I stated above, SES's protection system causes more grief than it should. It's in the interests of both SES and customers to ameliorate the problems it causes. As such, I'd love to hear suggestions about improving the system.

But at the same time, it's not going away. That horse has been dead so long it's fossilized. SES's commitment to the DRM system been stated so many times, dating back to before DG was even released and long before I worked for SES, that I feel completely justified these days in regarding such posts as trolling. Especially when, as is usually the case, such posts are presented as flames, ultimatums, rants, etc. And even more so when the poster is somebody who's never been here before, despite the game's age (ever hear of the SEARCH function?), or who only shows up here periodically to deliver invective about the protection system.
What I find particularly interesting are the parts about how posts concerning removal of DRM problems are considered trolling. That's exactly the kind of attitude that makes me not want to give them even a cent.

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 09-18-08 at 09:12 AM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote