SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-13, 05:00 AM   #16
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusXIV View Post
Hey Guys

So i have been reading a few threads about the SH3 4gb patch, i don't have any issues when i play SH3 with GWX a few mods + SH3 commander but i just wanted to know if this is something i should install? or is it more meant for low end systems?

Thanks Guys

Edit: I do have 64 bit OS and 8GB Ram
I doubt it would do any harm. I have 6GB and the Multi-core Turbo Boost - which I need for multi track recording, but unsure of it actually 'does' anything much - and I have the 4GB thing on. Loading times are quite quick, compared to the 8 minutes plus, that some of the crew have reported. As already stated large mods will make loading times slower also. I have around 23 mods running with GWX and Commander and loading from cold start is around 2 minutes, which is OK. Having said that I wouldn't mind waiting longer, as the reward for doing so is enough to make me withstand any amount of hanging around.
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 05:02 AM   #17
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1. Yes
2. The link you've posted.
3. Disable all mods then enable the patch...to be sure.
4. Start over.
5. Yes, we do
You sure do!!.
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 06:01 AM   #18
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode.
Hi guys,

Could someone elaborate a bit on this for me please?, I have right clicked on the SH3 file and tried to edit the file in proprieties but i have not done it right as im getting the same message when i try to run the patcher

Thanks again
Delta Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 06:20 AM   #19
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

If you go to Amazon, you can buy either an unaltered download or a DVD of the SH3 for $10. Either one WILL work with the 4GB patch, and any and all patches, mods, and add-ons you can download. (And, if you use the link at the head of this page, SubSim gets a - small - kickback!) If you use a Staem product, there is no such guarrantee. Steam games all include additional DRM designed for the protection and convenience of the corporate rightsholder, without consideration for the convenience or rights of the purchaser. Consequently, your ability to modify the code you bought can be difficult, may sometimes be impossible, and can never be assumed.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:48 AM   #20
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
If you go to Amazon, you can buy either an unaltered download or a DVD of the SH3 for $10. Either one WILL work with the 4GB patch, and any and all patches, mods, and add-ons you can download. (And, if you use the link at the head of this page, SubSim gets a - small - kickback!) If you use a Staem product, there is no such guarrantee. Steam games all include additional DRM designed for the protection and convenience of the corporate rightsholder, without consideration for the convenience or rights of the purchaser. Consequently, your ability to modify the code you bought can be difficult, may sometimes be impossible, and can never be assumed.

Thanks for the advice BigWalleye but im going to try and get SH3 patched with the steam version as it seems other people here have managed to do it. Plus i live in the UK and the download link from amazon is for the US and i am unsure if that would work?

So if desertstriker or Jimbuna could just elaborate a little on "first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode." then that would be awesome.

Thanks again
Old 08-18-13, 11:35 AM   #21
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
So if desertstriker or Jimbuna could just elaborate a little on "first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode." then that would be awesome.

Thanks again
K mate here's what you do:
1 Right click the folder
2 Properties
3 Security
4 Edit
5 Tick both Full Control and Write boxes
6 Apply
7 OK

From memory I think that's pretty much it mate. Good luck

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 12:37 PM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Cheers Fubar

@Tiberius....you should be good to go now matey.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 01:32 PM   #23
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Just a quick update,

Thanks for all your help gents, but i can't get it to work
I have followed "Fubar2Niner" instructions, but it will not work.... for some reason i can change any permissions for anyone (Only me that uses the PC) but i can't change permissions of the CREATOR OWNER. (I tick the boxes hit apply but when i go back and check they are just blanked out again)

Not sure if this is a steam issue or maybe its because i have a EU version of the game?

Thing is im only running GWX 3.0 SH3 commander and these mods....

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Conus' SH3GWXWS 2.3
Lutzow's Officers - SET5
Flags_enlighten

I have not noticed any issues so far, so i hope it stays that way. In the mean time im going to keep an eye out for a normal version.....

Thanks again guys
Old 08-18-13, 03:01 PM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Honestly and for what it costs I'd simply click on the Amazon link and purchase the DVD...they are now patched and SF free.

Old 08-18-13, 04:10 PM   #25
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Honestly and for what it costs I'd simply click on the Amazon link and purchase the DVD...they are now patched and SF free.

Id be happy to pay $20 for a copy of SH3 thing is im from the UK and im unsure if the download link would work, Amazon UK don't have a download version of SH3 nor do they have New DvD copy's.

I will keep looking for a copy.
Old 08-19-13, 05:29 AM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Id be happy to pay $20 for a copy of SH3 thing is im from the UK and im unsure if the download link would work, Amazon UK don't have a download version of SH3 nor do they have New DvD copy's.

I will keep looking for a copy.
Click on the Amazon link top right of this page then scroll down to the very bottom where you'll find a list of countries, UK is on the far right, click on that and type in 'Silent Hunter 3' and you'll come to this page...the one on the top is what you need.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THE LINK I HAVE POSTED, do it yourself or SubSim will not get a small commission (this commission is at no extra cost to you). The game can be had for less than a fiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ilent+hunter+3

Old 08-19-13, 09:33 AM   #27
Uboat177
Mate

Downloads: 138

Tiberius,

One final try, see if another 4 GB patch, Large Address Aware, works on your game (run as admin).

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

Someone had a similar issue, "unknown version", but on SH4 with its 4gb patch on a steam version.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195466

Perhaps installing Steam or games in Program Files (x86) should be avoided, Windows is very protective of that folder.

Last edited by Uboat177; 08-19-13 at 09:59 AM.
Uboat177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:42 AM   #28
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Steam does seem to pose additional challenges.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 01:50 PM   #29
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboat177 View Post
Tiberius,

One final try, see if another 4 GB patch, Large Address Aware, works on your game (run as admin).

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

Someone had a similar issue, "unknown version", but on SH4 with its 4gb patch on a steam version.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195466

Perhaps installing Steam or games in Program Files (x86) should be avoided, Windows is very protective of that folder.

Update Guys,

I think it has worked i have some screen shots for you....

Is that it? because it didn't really do anything, do i need to add any other files or just the sh3.exe?

The reason i ask is because i have found other exe's in my SH3 file.
There is a testapp.exe, sh3missionEditor.exe, Directx/dxsetup.exe....etc

Thanks guys
Old 08-19-13, 01:59 PM   #30
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

^

Just the SH3.exe is all you need mate. Looks like you're good to go. Glad you got it sorted

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote