SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-19, 09:11 PM   #16
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031
Uploads: 0

Man this would be great for SH4 as better than 50% of our torps are duds.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 01:12 PM   #17
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
I've been trying this mod for a the last few days. Can't get a ship to sink with it.
i put four torpedoes at different locations in the big cargo ship in the torpedo academy lesson..........three game hours later, still steaming along, no sinking/lowering in the water at all.
I did this three times.
I then disabled the mod, and boat sunk with one or two, like before. Anyone else ? I'm well aware of the NYGM damage model and do not feel that is the problem.
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have just discovered this behavior too. I was doing just fine in the beginning of the war, but now in the middle with impact torpedoes, it seems there is some issues with this. I just did a mission in the SE Caribbean and fired several torpedoes at ships with lots of impacts and it didn't affect the ships at all. They started weaving, but no visible damage, no evidence of taking on any water. It's weird, because it seems to be some sort of intermittent issue.

Pulling it out of the soup.
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 01:20 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have just discovered this behavior too. I was doing just fine in the beginning of the war, but now in the middle with impact torpedoes, it seems there is some issues with this. I just did a mission in the SE Caribbean and fired several torpedoes at ships with lots of impacts and it didn't affect the ships at all. They started weaving, but no visible damage, no evidence of taking on any water. It's weird, because it seems to be some sort of intermittent issue.

Pulling it out of the soup.
No big deal. Normally, within a short time of a dud I have another torpedo hit something and the ships start reacting then anyway.
Old 01-14-20, 04:32 PM   #19
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

sorry for the problems

You are both using NYGM?

Is the problem reproducible for you, rudewarrior? (I remember that I had 2-3 instances with the British sub in GWX being unsinkable (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=178626))

Do you remember what torpedoes you used? TI, TII, TIII, FaT,... or a mixture? This might be a hint why the problem only occurs later during the war.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 08:12 PM   #20
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

So, I use a heavily modded version of GWX.

Here are some observations:

It seems to be a problem when I am using impact torpedoes specifically. It also seems that the faster the ship is going, the more likely there is a problem. It could be that the "later in the war" issue is caused by using magnetics earlier vs. impacts mid-war. I haven't seen an issue in large convoys. Only small convoys of 2-4 ships. Also, if I am firing a torpedo while I am submerged and I am close to the detonation, the boat bucks wildly. I drop from periscope depth to 20 m and the periscope extension indicator start wildly bouncing up and down. This is probably due to the depth charge shake mod; however, it is interesting that I haven't seen the phenomena in convoys. The explosions in convoys that are close when submerged are usually more off to the side, so it may be that depth charge shake doesn't roll the boat so much as pitch it.

I have wondered if the depth charge explosion is somehow short circuiting the torpedo explosion. Possibly not giving it enough time to develop and do damage.

When on the surface, and I am close, I know the depth charge damage is happening. This is because I get the blurry screen with the "groaning sailor" sound effect. If I had decided to continue with the mod, I would like to have gotten close with a hit and then checked the hull integrity in the actual save game file. When you are in the game, the game only reports damage to the hundredths place. The save game keeps track to something like the ten thousandths place. I am curious if the damage is reported in the save game file and then rounded, because it is so small. I am also curious if this messes with SH3Cmdr's randomization of days in base.

I also have a tendency to attack single ships with the idea that I must expend a torpedo before surfacing and attacking with the deck gun, to simulate how the deck gun was used. So I may not be giving the target the time to show no symptoms of taking damage. This may also speak to the early war vs. mid-war thing.

Another thing is I had just switched the electrics from 5000m @30kts to 3000m @28kts, but I was noticing it in ATO's as well.

Recognize also, that these observations are all anecdotal, there was nothing scientific to how I approached thinking about this.
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 09:29 PM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Fwiw LGN, I was using NYGM. Not heavily modded. Had a couple strange convoy attacks that got my attention, hence the aforementioned further testing on the school mission.

Was awhile ago, so don't remember much more detail.