SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-20, 11:08 AM   #1
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4
Default IX Type differences.

I modded NYGM to go back to use renown, so i need to use it carefully, and now in the campaign i have the option to get an IXC, IXC/40 or IXD2.
Now i have an IXB, the question is, apart from the range, there is another advantages in using an ixc or ixc40 instead of ixb?? upgrades or something, i don't know, or its the same.

Which IX sub is the best and why? i know maximum ranges vary.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 12:35 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Type IXC was a further refinement of the class with storage for an additional 43 tonnes of fuel, increasing the boat's range. This series omitted the control room periscope leaving the boats with two tower scopes. Type IXC/40 was an improved Type IXC with slightly increased range and surfaced speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_IX_submarine

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 12:56 PM   #3
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Type IXC was a further refinement of the class with storage for an additional 43 tonnes of fuel, increasing the boat's range. This series omitted the control room periscope leaving the boats with two tower scopes. Type IXC/40 was an improved Type IXC with slightly increased range and surfaced speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_IX_submarine
THank you for responding, so, its almost the same in the game, just increased range ok.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 02:41 PM   #4
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360

You can upgrade the Conning Tower arrangement on the IXC's, providing more AA platforms and heavier Flak guns. Just in case you have the gonads to go mano y mano with Allied Aircraft. Two twin barreled 20mm's and a twin barreled 37mm auto cannon beats the IXB's configuration by miles.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 01:13 PM   #5
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

The main draw back of the Type IX i've found is that after about midway 1942 up until a Shnorkel is available the slowness in diving compared to smaller submarines can really lead to you being ****ed up by Aircraft. I had to abort my patrol along the East Coast of the USA and move down to the relitivitly easier waters of Eastern Cuba because of repeated radar equipped liberator attacks, Fog was medium and by the time my Watch crew spotted them we barely had time to get down to 10 metres before the bombs were going off.

The only way i've managed to survive when the Aircraft is spotted at a close distance is to send the AA crew to the guns, hitting flank speed and making a sharp turn against the angle the planes are coming at and then diving after their first pass, by the time they come around for the second pass i've made it a good 30 - 40 metres underwater. The Radar I have installed seems to be completely useless at picking up anything except fishing boats when I'm coming out of port, considering it only picks up planes in front and only stays on for more than 5 minutes when the sea is mirror still doesn't help either.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 08:52 PM   #6
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Fuel supply and range were the biggest advantage of the type 9. Unless you consider the 9D2 u cruiser. That one had 14 internal torpedoes, and 12 stored topside in the external canisters, giving it the largest payload of all U-boats. By 1943/44, most of the boats went to sea with the topside canisters removed, but the cruiser, because it was designed for long range patrols was allowed to keep its external ammunition.
Old 01-29-20, 09:21 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

consider if you will: the 43 extra tons of fuel I alluded to in my previous post. That comes to 86,000 lbs of fuel at approx 8 lbs a gallon if my truckin' days serves(axel/gross weight considerations at scale houses etc)or comes to approx. 10,750 gallons; however bunker diesel might be slightly heavier...which means running at decks awash which shortens dive times but consumes more fuel is lifesavingly feasible. The added tonnage not only adds range but enables surface running at 6 metres, consuming more fuel than if fully surfaced at 4 metres but saving your life in crash-dive times, especially late in the war against PB4Y Liberators which are more than a match for essentially wretched upgraded WWI uboat technology....my uncle who is still alive at age 95, flew those in WWII bottom line: if you must be on the surface in daylight use the extra fuel primarily to propel the type IX at decks-awash and secondarily to increase range. Under no cicumstances, ever stay surfaced attempting to use guns against an aircraft or allow yourself to be caught by suprise.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-29-20 at 11:11 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote