SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-19, 06:04 AM   #1
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
SHO Reccomended resolutions please!

Greetings Kaleuns!

so obviously i got the mod for changing resolution unfortunately the game isin't designed for such changes and thus stretches, easily fixed by that anti stretch mod!
however, said anti stretch mod does not anti stretch the essential periscope.
which would be fine if it weren't for that dastardly red button whom wishes to set of my little fishes constantly, i want to keep the vanilla periscope for that tool that does the range for me, (i like playing realistic but maths is where my brain fails)i would really prefer that button doesn't keep setting off my torps because i clicked to try deal with the constantly unlocking periscope

i would like as high a resolution as possible without periscope issues
so any of you fellow kaleuns have a preferred resolution?

Or

i wouldn't mind mod suggestions that will eliminate the button problem, allow high resolution and above all keep that vanilla range gathering tool (or at least something reasonable)

Last edited by Hunter.R.H; 12-24-19 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Blimmin grammar mistakes
Hunter.R.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 07:05 AM   #2
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Icon11 Disregard my question kaleuns i've given up

after the past 3 days of trying i'm throwing in the hat
there was no reason for the mods not to work but for someone reason they just wouldn't play ball
interior mod! i can live without it! but there was no reason for it not to be working, there was conflictions and it sai dit was JSGME compatible.
sound mods! i got maybe like two working? a solid deck gun sound and speech changes for the telegraph, but only because they had to be plumbed into the sound directory. i got a different engine sound which worked until i dipped the camera below water in which case it went back to normal!
sh5 water for sh3 no idea why it wasn't working! it would've been fine if the modder put instructions with it because JSGME definitely doesn't work
that widescreen mod that is supposedly supposed to eliminate the stretching in the main camera's well take a wild guess what decided to stop working and stretch my screen today!
But hey at least something in JSGME worked (excluding the GWX add-ons)an improved damage textures mod worked shame it couldn't have been one of the more exciting mods in my list!
an optics mod that is supposedly quite popular, that didn't work. JSGME said nothing about it conflicting with anything and the mod said it worked with JSGME so why! why oh why! did it not work!? i dont know!
otherwise nothing works despite my best and determined attempts to make it so.

i simply don't have the patience you experienced captains have so i'm going to bed, i'll enjoy my christmas then im uninstalling GWX, the broken mods and that blimmin Silent hunter, no more frustration! thank you for the ride kaleuns although much too short for my liking these cursed fingers of mine just aren't going to get me anything out of these old gems

Last edited by Hunter.R.H; 12-24-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 07:13 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

HRH
Unfortunately with SH3 you are never going to get what you are looking for.
Game was never designed to be taken to the levels that we see today in SH5 and even in some SH4 mega mods.
SH3 is a 4.3 aspect ratio from the days of VGA monitors, you can improve this by going to 16.9 aspect ratio with widescreen mods like Ahnenerbe's Widescreen Final or ARB's WideGui 1920 x 1080.
The LSH3-2015 mega mod which comes with SH3Commander and Hsie patch has its own Widescreen Gui mod and to be honest it is pretty good and takes SH3 to a higher level of viewing as does the War Ace Campaign W.A.C. which also should not be over looked.

You can check out my tutorials to find out more about this and other stuff.
SH3 still has a lot to offer when you think of GWX, SH3Commander, Hsie patch which can all be combined to create an awesome game but still relies on the old SH3 engine.
If graphics are important to you then you need to be looking at SH5 with TWoS and SH4 with Dark Waters for allied axis campaigns.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 07:16 AM   #4
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
HRH
Unfortunately with SH3 you are never going to get what you are looking for.
Game was never designed to be taken to the levels that we see today in SH5 and even in some SH4 mega mods.
SH3 is a 4.3 aspect ratio from the days of VGA monitors, you can improve this by going to 16.9 aspect ratio with widescreen mods like Ahnenerbe's Widescreen Final or ARB's WideGui 1920 x 1080.
The LSH3-2015 mega mod which comes with SH3Commander and Hsie patch has its own Widescreen Gui mod and to be honest it is pretty good and takes SH3 to a higher level of viewing as does the War Ace Campaign W.A.C. which also should not be over looked.

You can check out my tutorials to find out more about this and other stuff.
SH3 still has a lot to offer when you think of GWX, SH3Commander, Hsie patch which can all be combined to create an awesome game but still relies on the old SH3 engine.
If graphics are important to you then you need to be looking at SH5 with TWoS and SH4 with Dark Waters for allied axis campaigns.

Peter
i might see about silent hunter 5 when i get my hands on a passable computer, until then i think i'm throwing in the hat
Old 12-24-19, 07:19 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The main problem is the game is old, and the OS is new, the hardware is new. The game was written before the dawn of using 1024x768 resolution, much less wide screen resolutions. One thing you mention that is intriguing is that things "change" as you are attempting to play the game. This brings up a couple of questions, the main one being "Where is your game installed?"

The game's installer defaults to a "C:\Program Files..." folder path, no matter if you have a disk version, Amazon or Steam download, or whatever. If you are installed there, a lot of mods will not function there, because Windows prevents any changes made "keeping". You will need to change or move the installed path to a folder of your own naming. This also brings a 2nd question: "What game do you have, Steam, Amazon, or disk, etc.?" A Steam game is more difficult to move - er, rather, more time-consuming, not difficult...

It would also be helpful to mention some of your computer hardware, such a computer model or the cpu, the amount of RAM, your video card, the OS you are using and its bit-depth (32 or 64-bit), if known.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 07:31 AM   #6
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The main problem is the game is old, and the OS is new, the hardware is new. The game was written before the dawn of using 1024x768 resolution, much less wide screen resolutions. One thing you mention that is intriguing is that things "change" as you are attempting to play the game. This brings up a couple of questions, the main one being "Where is your game installed?"

The game's installer defaults to a "C:\Program Files..." folder path, no matter if you have a disk version, Amazon or Steam download, or whatever. If you are installed there, a lot of mods will not function there, because Windows prevents any changes made "keeping". You will need to change or move the installed path to a folder of your own naming. This also brings a 2nd question: "What game do you have, Steam, Amazon, or disk, etc.?" A Steam game is more difficult to move - er, rather, more time-consuming, not difficult...

It would also be helpful to mention some of your computer hardware, such a computer model or the cpu, the amount of RAM, your video card, the OS you are using and its bit-depth (32 or 64-bit), if known.
yeah it's the steam version, you should have my install path from my other thread so i'll go fetch the pc specs for you
Old 12-24-19, 07:36 AM   #7
propbeanie

For moving the Steam version then, refer to that same Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Support site, linked to in that other thread also.

I realize it can be frustrating dealing with this #$@!%, but it really is a good set of games, once you get used to the hoops needed to jump through, and the pitfalls to avoid. The owner's manual for the game is sadly lacking on basic information, but again, mostly due to the games' ages.

Old 12-24-19, 07:41 AM   #8
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:

nerdy stuff below
video card:
AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics with 2.0 GB VRAM
CPU:
AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G @2.9 gHZ
Ram:
8.0 GB
not sure if that's entirely what you need as i'm no computer genius but hopefully that's what you're looking for
i do also understand that my computer is dodgy as all hell (the downfall to being a pleb "what we call poor people around my area")
i plan on getting a much more passable computer at a later date when the moola starts entering my bank.
anyways my body requests sleep so i'll be heading off to bed, i'll try fix sh3 to work right after i take a few days to clear my head in the mean time i'd appreciate more pointers for when i get to fixing it and preferably as simple as you can describe it for computer the noob that is me catch ya later kaleun! :kaleun_Salute:
Old 12-24-19, 09:23 AM   #9
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
What OS you are using and its bit-depth (32 or 64-bit)
Old 12-24-19, 10:15 AM   #10
propbeanie

I used to be a computer techie, until I quit staying at Holiday Inn Express (sorry, old TV commercial joke)... But I am basically a dweeb anymore due to technological advances, and a failure of my grey matter to understand, or even attempt to comprehend why it's now OK to install malware on a computer, like Windows 10 or the latest offing from Apple... invasion of privacy used to be sacrosanct... but I digress - it is what it is anymore these days. Uncle Sam and Brother Comrade are where they are... George Orwell was just off a few years is all...

Anyway, as Anvar1061 mentions, the only point you missed was "What OS you are using and its bit-depth (32 or 64-bit)"? Otherwise, your computer looks to be from about the 2014 era I will guess, most likely came with Win8.1 64-bit installed (since you have 4-8 gig of RAM and your game install folder is listed as "(x86)") - you probably had a "free" update to Win10, which is fine. While it is not the latest / greatest hardware, it is more than sufficient for Silent Hunter. Maybe not at full-on settings, but it will definitely be playable at mid-range settings. I have a similar laptop, though it is older and a Core i3 first gen with onboard Intel "HD" graphics that uses "shared" system RAM, which your video sub-system has dedicated VRAM, which is better.

If you only have Steam SH3, or even if you have the whole series, I would use JSGME and de-activate all mods in all of the games. Then use the Steam app on your computer to un-install them. Then use the Windows or Steam un-installer to take Steam off the computer. Most laptops only have the one usable hard drive partition, so you want to re-install Steam and the games outside of Program Files (x86) folder, so when you go to re-install them, change the path from "Program Files (x86)" to something like "Games" or whatever you want. You just don't want to put the Steam parts into the "root" folder of the hard drive. You will still see parts of Steam install into the "Program Files (x86)" folder, but that part is OK there. Your Steam Library folder cannot be there, hence the suggestion for "C:\Games \ Steam..." Your SH3 would end up in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter III" and below. Some of the SH3 mods will require you to change your SH3 folder name to eliminate spaces in its name. Pay attention to the mod instructions. One thing about the Steam install is that you have the latest / greatest version of the SH3.exe file, so you won't have to do anything fancy with that, like some of the disk versions of the game do. I have an old StarForce version (affectionately referred to as StarFarce) that was a real bother to work with. I lost the disk, and still can't decide if it was accidental, or purposeful... Anyway, just that "little" move of the game install will allow you to create your MODS folder and put one mod set at a time in it for JSGME activation. If you want to noodle with more than one mod set at a time, that would require the use of MultiSH3 and copies of your SH3 install, which is an advanced subject for sometime later when you get used to what you are doing with one mod. Nothing to keep you from reading about it though, and decide if it's for you...

As for the resolution stuff, I have my LSH and WAC installs set-up for widescreen, but I used mods expressly for those base mods, and I do NOT remember what hoops - if any - that I had to jump through for them. The big thing for my desktop computer is to match the game's resolution to the displays, which is more difficult to do in SH3 than it is in SH4. You might have something like 1600x900 as a "native" display resolution on your laptop, which you will see Windows show as "recommended". That is your "target" resolution, but I do remember having to "Window" one of my SH3 installs on the old laptop, so that I could set a 1280 x 720 to display... but my memory - I gorfet certain important details, and would have to re-read the widescreen mods to remember what to do ... I do not noodle in SH3 like I used to, and you would have to ask for better / more accurate / reliable help from others.

One last thing I can point out is THEBERBSTER's "stickie" posts "SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX" (which has some info useful to SH3) and " LSH3-2015 <> TUTORIALS <> ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW <> ALL IN ONE PLACE" which is also usable for other mods. Some altering of instructions might be necessary, but always follow the instructions for the mod you are attempting to activate. Lots of useful reading available.

Old 01-19-20, 07:07 PM   #11
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Actually this i'm not certain of, i assume it's 64bit, just came back from a long hiatus to maybe see about bringing sh3 into an operable state

Last edited by Hunter.R.H; 01-19-20 at 07:08 PM. Reason: just woke up = bad spelling!
Old 01-20-20, 04:47 AM   #12
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.R.H View Post
Actually this i'm not certain of, i assume it's 64bit, just came back from a long hiatus to maybe see about bringing sh3 into an operable state
Is this your computer? We can't know for sure. Find out it.