SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-08, 02:24 PM   #61
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Fantastic paintjob Savvy. Add the scum line, and is going to be one of my favourites.

Only thing- the rains / i believe thats what they call the vertical smudges from rusting or dirty parts / should stop at the waterline, unless the boat was in the dry dock for some time.

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 02:32 PM   #62
Savvy
Loader

Woo Hooo, Page four!

Hello mate, yeah ya right, it's just one of the many things on my 'snagging' list.

The scum line will go on after i've sealed in whats done so far. I have an idea using some torn paper and masking tape, so i don't want to leave any masking marks on the surface.

I've not forgotten about the flux (Well i had!) and will get it off to you before the weeks out.

Cheers

Sav.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 11:06 PM   #63
CA Sailor
Swabbie

Well I am new here and also going to build an U69. I have enjoyed your topic and Siaras and was the main reason I got the kit. All the info between you two have made it easier to see what I need to do to my kit. I haven't started it yet because I am saving up for the exterior parts and want to get all the info on building the 69 before starting. My plan is to have the sub tied up to a dock someplace getting e torpedoes loaded and supplys. What is currently in my mind is a full pier with buildings and vehicles. I plan on using CMK U-Boat exterior set 1, U-Boat deck winch for torpedo, White Ensigns Type VIIC U-Boat PE Set, Tyoe VIIC U-Boat flood and drain and vent holes, Yankee Model Works Upper Preasure Hull and their set of brass parts, and Nautilus wood deck. When I bought my model on ebay for a steal it came with the Yankee Model Works brass parts which to Siaras behalf include the vents that you meticulously scratch built. I am not sure on figurines as of yet but leaning towards CMks because from what I have seen on peoples models they look best or Revells because they seem to be the best bang for the buck.

CA Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 04:25 AM   #64
Savvy
Loader

Default U-69

Hi CA Sailor,

First up, thanks for your kind words.

It sounds like your really going to go for it here and most of the after market stuff you mention are well worth the money!

For the figure's, personally i would go for CMK's as these depict the crew doing what you have in mind for your finished theme. Take a look at this for a look at what you could end up with http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsw...finished.shtml

You say that you would like to depict the boat tied up and taking on supplies, does this mean you are going to make it a waterline model? If so be aware that there will not be a lot to hold the two hull halves together, it's by no means impossible but i thought i'd mention it.

Have a look at this to see all things U-Boat http://www.modelsbymickster.com/cgi-....pl?inv=Uboote

You could save yourself some money by scratching your own pressure hull, you just can't see it when decks go on! But saying that, if you are going down the waterline road then the addition of this item could add a lot of structural re-enforcement:hmm:

Don't forget to post some pix when you get started,

All the best,

Sav.
Old 04-11-08, 12:27 PM   #65
Savvy
Loader

Whilst talking about crew figures, here's some of mine whilst in the paint shop.

I'm not the worlds best at figure painting and you'll have to trust me when i say they look better in real life. The over magnified view picks up evey little blemish and fault, still, they will add a bit of interest on the finished boat, not to mention adding a sense of scale!

Sav.

Old 04-11-08, 03:41 PM   #66
CA Sailor
Swabbie

I am planning to do the whole sub and not a waterline. I am thinking of doing something like this but tied up and recieving supplies instead of dry docked. Savy do you have any good pictures of the hull or the sub that you mind sharing? http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../gp-index.html
I may attempt a pressure hull but may not. Thanks for the sites. I had seen Models by Mickster before and have them saved on my computer to buy parts from. I hope I can pull it off as good as both of you have.

Last edited by CA Sailor; 04-11-08 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 05:37 PM   #67
Siara
Grey Wolf

Welcome to subsim CA Sailor.
I wish You luck with the build. It is a pain when You start, all the fun starts towards the end. Im at that stage now, and im havin a blast.
Are You planing the WIP on Subsim?

BTW: Sav- the figures look good.

Master Models
Old 04-11-08, 06:32 PM   #68
CA Sailor
Swabbie

Siara when I get all the parts and figure out how I am going to pull it off I will be sharing photos of the progress. I am in college still at a maritime academy here in the US. I am planning to start it next school year and do all the painting at home where I have acess to an aircompressor and airbrush. I also have some full size WWII projects that need to get finished like my 1941 Dodge 1/2 ton Military ambulance first. http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...c%2018%20body/
I plan to have this one done this summer or close to it. I also have a 1/2 ton truck also but it will be several more years before it is done.
Old 04-12-08, 05:20 AM   #69
Savvy
Loader

Hi C A,

Send me a PM with your e-mail and i'll send you the photo's that i have got of U-69.

For the hull i found one decent photo of a dry docked type IX, i also used photo's of modern ships and subs that i found by doing a Google search.

Really like the photo's of your '41 Dodge

Sav.
Old 04-12-08, 12:10 PM   #70
Savvy
Loader

Quick update,

Sav.
Old 04-12-08, 01:22 PM   #71
Siara
Grey Wolf

Nice.

Master Models
Old 04-12-08, 04:21 PM   #72
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Very very nice

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 06:03 PM   #73
CA Sailor
Swabbie

Between you and Siara you keep amazing me with your talents
Old 04-13-08, 05:42 PM   #74
CA Sailor
Swabbie