SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-20, 05:25 AM   #91
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Hi, from the East Coast of South Africa. Today is day-12 of a strict 21-day lock down. No international air travel. No local or regional air travel. All inter-provincial road travel banned. Road blocks on all national highways to enforce the ban. So nobody can move about and we are all requested to stay indoors. All schools and universities closed as well.

Now for the good news out of a population of 55 million only (as of today) 1686 CV cases and 12 deaths in the country.

Now more bad news. All alcohol outlets closed from day 1, so no alcohol drinks available, unless you managed to stock up. Even worse, no cigarette or tobacco to be sold, so all those outlets also closed. Today I read that they have also closed all mobile phone outlets/shops. No walking about or jogging or even walking your dog allowed.

Other than that as long as you practice "social distancing" you may go to the pharmacy/drug store for chronic medicine. Supermarkets to only allow the sale of essential goods. You may go to these places, but should you be stopped in a roadblock, better have all your ducks in a row. And, if travelling in a 4-seater vehicle, only the driver in front and single passenger in rear of vehicle permitted. Petrol stations have remained open, but customers are few.

Thank goodness they have not banned the internet, so we can at least Skype the grandchildren and relieve stress by Silently Hunting. When I retired I never thought that life after working could be so hectic.

Last edited by Propnut17; 04-07-20 at 06:19 AM.
Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 07:05 AM   #92
capoalex
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 97
Default Quarantine in ITALY

Hello to everybody, here in ITALY we have been experiencing a dramatic rise up of contagion since end of february, and our government decided that everybody should stay at home, and in addition all industrial and touristic activities should stop with the exception of what's needed for food and health needs.
Our cities and villages are desert (with very few exception), all business activities are stopped, people work from home (if they can, through smart-working), schools are closed , on line lessons are becoming standard .
The good thing is that the contagion curve seems to be decreasing, and we hope after easter some industrial activities will be re-started.
Excellent time for home gamers of course, so we are spending lots of time in already known games as well as in new ones!.
Most of us need to plan what to do for the entire day, so in addition to working on line and maybe joining communities on-line, gaming is an excellent way to keep time passing!
Let's hope this very bad time will come to an end soon, and get my best regards from Italy!
Capoalex
capoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 07:30 AM   #93
tyler4402
Seaman

Downloads: 127
Default The ignorant few are putting us all at risk

Very quiet here in Lancashire, in general, people are obeying the rules while TV shows selfish people in the South of the country (mostly young) interpreting the rules to their own advantage, unfortunately, I think the younger end don't truly realise the seriousness of the gift that the Pariah Republic of China has given to the world, and because of the few who are putting us all at further risk the government should really enforce stricter measures to keep them at home
tyler4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 10:41 AM   #94
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
NOTHING LIKE A PANDEMIC TO GET SILENT RUNNERS TO THE SURFACE AFTER FIVE YEARS!
Taimax!
yelrom treblig!
Kebster!
capoalex!England, Finland, Russia & Italy... some not heard from in over ten years! Thanks for checking in!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 04:55 PM   #95
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Roll call

I'm near Richmond, Va. All is well in our household - we stay in the house, in the yard. I am disabled and use a walker so getting out is a hassle for me in any case, so my wife runs to the store as needed. The local Walmart is starting extra hours for seniors so we can get in with less people nearby. A lot is being done to keep us safe. The Hydroxlquinine (Sp?) looks like it is promising - a Dr looked at records of all patients taking it for the last 20 years and so far none have gotten the virus - so it looks promising. The doc also got the records of Blue Cross so the database is pretty big. We'll see if the govt picks up on this...

Everyone stay safe out there! Prepare to dive! aaa uooooga!

l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 09:01 PM   #96
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

not in lock down in Manitoba Canada, we do have toilet paper and food plenty of hand sanitizer but we now have to follow arrows on the floor at stores and maintain a one fathom seperation.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 11:32 AM   #97
Comodoro
Der Kommodore

Downloads: 46
Default Quarantine at Elche

Greetings from Elche (Alicante), Spain.

We are in confinement. Have enough TP for Beavis bunghole and no FFP2 masks but a homemade ones. Not enough gloves either.

Since I work in a salt mine at Santa Pola, I'm fine. My job is considered "essential" and even when the Goverment temporally banned some (presential) jobs, mine is intact.

Streets are like "28 weeks later" movie and I'm about to play some Cold Waters, hehe.
Comodoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 11:56 AM   #98
Sam.Willow
A Steam Engine Engineer

Downloads: 84
Default California Steaming

We are in Stockton, CA. So far we seem to be avoiding Covid-19 in our area, only 121 confirmed cases and 12 deaths as of 8 Apr. 2020. I'm 70 years old. I have Asthma and type 2 Diabetes so if I get it I'm a goner. Therefore I'm just staying in the house. Saw an add on TV. Buy 1 Get 1 Free Nutrisystem so we bought 2 months of food and half was delivered last Thursday we already have all the paper of every type we could want so no needs there.

I've been playing games, I resurrected and old PC and installed Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance [It is tough to get working on Win10 but Win7 with comparability WinXP SP2 works great] MW4 is abandon-ware you can get it free. The old PC had SH5 gold edition on it. I was excited to play SH5 on that PC but SH5 crashed about 10 minutes in and brought back bad memories of the way SH5 used to be. SH5 Wolves of Steel is a treat on my Win10 laptop.

My wife Sandy is sewing fabric masts to donate to the hospital. The nurses put the masks over their N95 masks which makes them last much longer. Speaking of masks, if you want to wear them be careful of where they were made. Please see the YouTube video I linked to below for an explanation of why its important to know where and who made them.

China made this pandemic much worse than it had to be. I've been saying for years that the Chinese government and manufacturing complex is NOT our friends. They paint toys with lead paint that poisons our children, they manufacture goods that last for only a few days and then we have to buy something again. They produce infant formula with harmful chemicals as a part of the ingredients.. I don't have anything against the Chinese people but it will be a long time before I willingly buy cheap products from china just to save a little money.

OK I've rattled on long enough. Be safe everyone
Sam.Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 02:25 PM   #99
LeChuck
Watch

Downloads: 292
Default Corona

Pennsburg PA. Sheltering in place. Have plenty of beer and lots of time to play SHIV. Family all well. Thanks for your concern.
LeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 03:28 PM   #100
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Just a reminder we all read what you write here, wishing you all the best!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 11:23 AM   #101
Hothead
Swabbie

Downloads: 40
Default Buzzy days

Greetings! Most of Norway are in lockdown. They talk about gradually opening up after Easter.
Me, I work as a nurse, and have had very buzzy days. I've been transferred to three different workplaces last five weeks(wherever they need me most), and my work-shifts are all over the place, with lots of overtime. I'm purly working with Covid-19 related patients.
Some friends and family are beginning to relax because the lockdown has worked, but I warn them; this isn't over.. Not by a longshot.
Anyways, I try finding time to do at least a few Cold Waters missions during the week. Gaming and my family lets me unwind during all this.
Keep safe people, this is not the flu!
Old 04-09-20, 09:04 PM   #102
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taimax View Post
Hello, i am from Russia, Siberia. The authorities and Putin introduced a regime of self-isolation, but did not give help. No money, 2 dollars left. Businesses are closing down, staff are being fired. They force me to stay at home until May 1, without money. Help, who than can please !!! Rather, this Putin would have already been removed, the whole people hate him, and even abroad. -------------------- I would really appreciate it, friends. It's a shame, but there is nothing to eat until the summer, and potatoes will grow only in August.
Even 5-10 dollars would be a good help. We in Siberia have an average salary of 300-400 dollars ....per month... Superpower ...
Я из России. Этот парень пишет бред. Пандемия всем приносит экономический вред. Но когда люди представляющикся из России постоянно жалуются на власть, это слабые люди. Мне очень жаль. Такие люди 100 лет назад точно так же ругали во всех своих бедах царя. Что было дальше читайте историю. У нас слава богу пока спокойно. Заражённые Ковид 19 есть но в магазинах полки не пустые и голод только в головах пораженых политикой и информационными фейками людей. Не болейте и будьте здоровы. Привет из России.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 04-10-20 at 06:42 AM.
LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 09:20 AM   #103
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
The Hydroxlquinine (Sp?) looks like it is promising - a Dr looked at records of all patients taking it for the last 20 years and so far none have gotten the virus - so it looks promising.

That is called correlation and should not be confused with causation.
Old 04-15-20, 10:43 AM   #104
gpawood
Nub

Downloads: 128
Default So far, So good in Oklahoma

Doing just fine here in Oklahoma, keeping away from town as much as possible. Have two daughters and five grandkids that moved in with us until this blows over. It's been so much fun having the grandkids here and spending quality time with them, I love it. Hope everyone stays safe, we'll get through this together, God Bless,,,,
Tommie Wood
gpawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 09:58 AM   #105
Zhig
Nub

Downloads: 65
Default Here in Philippines...

In a country of waaayy too much "sunshine" Zhig reporting.

Air traffic (passenger especially, only air freight BUT STRICTLY controlled) are suspended similar to SEA freight also but no passenger, for land logistics it is tightly controlled only basic goods and transportation for "frontliners".

Our government are at their WITS end managing everything from INFORMATION dissemination to NATIONAL Security as some idiotic "REBELS/Terrorists" started looting/robbing supply trucks aiding far flung municipalities, so yeah most citizens right now are pissed off to the point of snapping really, ha ha ha, but good old humour is still there.

In Manila our capital is currently in *Enhanced Community Quarantine with police and military manning checkpoints 24/7 same with medical field staff.

In our municipality in the Visayas islands, all is good and well, at least "hard-headed morons" who intentionally violate said guidelines have been "properly reprimanded" regardless of status. We are under curfew (7pm to 8am) since March 20.

6500+ cases with 550+ deaths and 670+ recoveries as of late.

Food, medicine and finances is somewhat still good.... enough i think but hope this ends soon. I am working as a Medical Transcriptionist in a SMALL company of 20 people but currently "unemployed" and at home since CORONA VIRUS struct our municipality last March 20.

Well that is it for now.

if no new cases will be reported nxt week, the government is already considering lifting the *Enhanced Community Quarantine to **General Community Quarantine. HOPEFULLY

*Enhanced Community Quarantine - ALL MUST Stay home, Food Pass is STRICTLY checked, only ONE FAMILY MEMBER IS ALLOWED TO GO OUT FOR NECESSITIES. ALMOST ALL MAJOR BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENTS ARE CLOSED. GROCERY STORES (9am to 5pm), PHARMACY (9am to 5pm) and ALL HOSPITALS ARE OPEN. CURFEW IS STRICTLY ENFORCED.

**General Community Quarantine - Some business establishments and employers/employees can now open start "working" except leisure type of establishment, MALLS are somewhat open to the PUBLIC BUT WITH STRICT SOCIAL DISTANCING, seniors citizens are to be observed STRICTLY and AIDED immediately, ALL MAJOR SCHOOL DEPARTMENTS WOULD STILL BE CLOSED. CURFEW IS STILL STRICTLY IN EFFECT.

Last edited by Zhig; 04-24-20 at 10:27 AM.
Zhig is offline   Reply With Quote