SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-12, 03:34 PM   #16
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I like "what if this were to really happen" movies ...

but I too as Kaye T. Bai said ... hope it doesn't generate into a scfi movie.
Old 11-07-12, 12:25 AM   #17
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Here's some more casting info.

http://io9.com/5950314/how-cheesy-wi...e-last-ship-be

Looks like an interesting cast, but none of the characters' names ring a bell from the book. Seems that they changed the plot a bit, in the original, barely anybody survived elsewhere in the world, but in the show, survivors seem to be plentiful.

Reportedly, the show is being filmed in San Diego, aboard the USS Halsey (DDG-97), which is standing in for the fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-90), although this is unconfirmed, so take it with a grain of salt.

LT Alisha Granderson - Played by Christina Elmore
LT Jackie Makena - Played by Michaela McManus
CMDCM Hugh Jeter - Played by Charles Parnell
Navy SEAL team leader Danny Green - Played by Travis Van Winkle
Paleo-microbiologist Quincy - Played by Sam Spruell

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 11-07-12 at 12:40 AM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 05:01 AM   #18
Thagarr
Mate

Downloads: 0

Kaye T. Bai, thanks for the info mate!

It's been a while since I checked in here, I've been a bit busy lately. Yeah, I am not surprised they changed the plot, I was just hoping they wouldn't go overboard with it.

Then I read the second link you posted ...global warming, of course, I should have known. Typical, politically correct garbage.
Thagarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:28 AM   #19
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

UPDATE: has been released! The show will air in mid-2014!

Show looks very different from the book, but that's okay. Some good shots of the DDG's 5-inch gun in action! Good to see more navy-themed shows airing. Hopefully this will increase public interest and maybe bring us some good modern naval sims?

P.S. Eric Dane is looking good!

-------------------------------------------------

Here's a pic of a ballcap that was used during filming:

The ship will be DDG-151 in this show, although in the book it was DDG-80. Interesting stuff, now I'm really excited for the show.

Even the USN's official website has some official info; looks like it has official DoD support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagarr View Post
Kaye T. Bai, thanks for the info mate!
No problem!

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 05-10-13 at 06:21 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 11:49 AM   #20
Thagarr
Mate

Downloads: 0

New trailer:

The Last Ship airs on TNT on Sunday, June 22nd at 9/8c.

Official The Last Ship WEBSITE: http://bit.ly/TheLastShipSite
Thagarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 03:47 AM   #21
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Sorry to necro a thread but I thought about opening a discussion on this series.

I heard about this recently on Youtube and I'm not a big TV watcher and don't follow pop culture very much, so I decided to watch this show since I had not seen it before. Binge watch. I've gotten through two seasons so far.

I think this has a great premise behind the show but association with Michael Bay is obvious. Also, I see alot of questionable technical stuff about what destroyers and submarines can and cannot do in terms of weaponry and sensor technical capabilities (I don't think a destroyer can actually be as stealthy as a submarine, for instance- I've never seen it depicted that way in any simulation). Honestly the technical stuff seems like they had good avisors but at some points they decided to dispense with certain elements for "artistic license". And that really causes the suspension of disbelief to break down.

One guy on reddit basically had it right. This is the original series Star Trek with an Arleigh Burke. Only with more American jingoism and explosions. It's a long recruitment ad like Stargate with even less moral realism dripping with America's quasi-Protestant ethics, where complex ethical situations are reduced to simple choices. Sunday School with Tomahawks and SEALS. All of the above, I suppose. Indeed, those people with more realistic ethics in this show (like the black "dragon lady" in Baltimore running her own "Brotherhood of Steel") are depicted in the worst possible light. On the other hand, Captain Chandler has no problem "liberating" people from slavery if it means they'll likely die from hordes of desperate infected people, because.. "freedum".

I guess a guilty pleasure, though... I am still watching it. But... it's no wonder America is so messed up, after watching this show. Even the recent French war film "Le Chant du Loup" (Wolf's Call) is way better than this at a believable naval war drama.

Last edited by FireDragon76; 06-13-21 at 03:59 AM.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote