Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-20, 02:40 AM   #10966
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Amy Coney Barrett's partisan nomination subverts the very intent of the Supreme Court

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...me-ncna1244146

Quote:
Hamilton — though he did believe that the Supreme Court should be able to rule on the constitutionality of federal law — thought the court would be the least powerful branch of government because it could not disturb the established political rights of all Americans.Given the powers it has accrued since Hamilton's day, no one could say this about a Supreme Court that has been stacked with political partisans. And, indeed, the main substantive arguments both for and against federal appeals Judge Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation focus on the extent to which her potential rulings would affect such "political rights" as Americans' access to the Affordable Care Act and the extent (or even existence) of their right to privacy.
(...)
None of this is an argument against Barrett as a judge or a justice; it is an argument against the deep partisanship in the process of confirming justices to the Supreme Court — which is disregarding the intent of the authors of our Constitution and the founders of our nation. After what happened in 2016 — and will likely happen again quite soon — no American can be faulted for seeing the Supreme Court as an explicitly partisan body, incapable of calling the "balls and strikes" as "impartial umpires," as Chief Justice John Roberts articulated at his own confirmation hearings.
Roberts has long admired Alexander Hamilton. But the view (which he shares with Hamilton) of a nonpartisan Supreme Court, if not already dead, will suffer another body blow with Barrett's confirmation.
Old 10-22-20, 06:29 AM   #10967
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Amy Coney Barrett's partisan nomination subverts the very intent of the Supreme Court
FDR's "Judicial Procedures" Reform Bill of 1937 is a better example of trying to "Subvert" the Supreme Court.
Old 10-22-20, 12:09 PM   #10968
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
It's hard for winners to change historical data. Just ask Hillary Clinton.
Speaking of Hillary ... isn't it odd that someone who won the 2016 presidential race (by popular vote) is now so far in the background that no one even hears from her anymore
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 10-22-20, 03:19 PM   #10969
Skybird
Soaring

Odd it is that everybody was complaining for years about HC trying to push herself into the foreground, and now that she does not anymore, you are complaining again.
Old 10-22-20, 03:31 PM   #10970
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

I am not complaining.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-22-20, 06:21 PM   #10971
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Odd it is that everybody was complaining for years about HC trying to push herself into the foreground, and now that she does not anymore, you are complaining again.

She's kinda busy at the moment.

Old 10-23-20, 02:48 AM   #10972
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-25-20, 06:42 PM   #10973
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

When I get information about US-politics I get it mostly from three different places.

1. Here at subsim-general topics
2. In the Danish, Swedish and sometimes German news
3. Facebook.

I take mostly notice what people say or write in the first 2. Number 3 FB, is mostly lot of crab.

Some years ago, when the first crisis between USA and North Korea I got totally ridiculed after I posted a 4 word comment to another comment in an article.

The article was about the crisis between these two countries.
A user wrote something like
....It's more Trump I don't trust...fear he may press the red button.

then another user wrote a comment to his comment:
Yes he has the psychological profile to do just so.

Then I as second person wrote
- and nothing will happen.
I shouldn't have done this...written these words I got totally ridiculed.

I do not claim to be an expert...but i refuse to believe a single person, in this case a President can single handed order a full nuclear attack..

A few hours later i deleted my 4 words comment and some days later i remembered what Platapus once wrote in an answer to me.

The only power a President have is the right to say
"Make it so"

Back to discussing US-politics
mapuc is online  
Old 10-26-20, 11:23 PM   #10974
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to US Supreme Court

Quote:
The US Senate has confirmed Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court in a victory for President Donald Trump a week before the general election.

Mr Trump's fellow Republicans voted 52-48 to approve the judge, overcoming the unified opposition of Democrats.

The 48-year-old took the oath of office at the White House alongside President Trump.

Her appointment seals for the foreseeable future a 6-3 conservative majority on the top US judicial body.

Only one Republican, Senator Susan Collins, who faces a tough re-election battle in Maine, voted against the president's nominee in Monday evening's vote.
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54700307

An expected outcome. However, one might think that Susan Collins would not give in, but cast her vote for Amy, but she is a liberal, perhaps even a pull to the left.

Marie Curie

Old 10-27-20, 08:01 PM   #10975
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54700307

An expected outcome. However, one might think that Susan Collins would not give in, but cast her vote for Amy, but she is a liberal, perhaps even a pull to the left.

Yes but not liberal enough and I don't think this will save her.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 10-27-20, 09:13 PM   #10976
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yes but not liberal enough and I don't think this will save her.
I do not think so either, she is fighting in a strong headwind.
,just some wiev from stream.

Marie Curie

Old 10-30-20, 08:02 AM   #10977
Skybird
Soaring

Superb analysis of the political culture status in the US, and an outlook into the future of it. I know the author, i have three of this books on my shelves, and I know very well why I hold him in so high esteem.

Most likely no civil war, I agree. Most likely a lasting split, division in society, I agree as well. I am saying the same sinc elong, but Taghizadegan can line up up the arguuments much better and more elegantly than I can.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ergerkriegs%2F
Old 10-30-20, 08:50 AM   #10978
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

This is disturbing. At one time not that long ago the Left wing investigative media were very much interested in uncovering corruption by politicians and wrong doing by government agencies. But times have changed. The left wing media is now biased and only cares about corruption if it involves Republicans and especially President Trump. They have lost their way.

Quote:
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn Greenwald quit his job this morning. In a bizarre, ironic, and disturbing commentary on trends in modern media, the celebrated reporter was forced to resign after writing a story criticizing both the Biden campaign and intelligence community — only to have it spiked by the editors of The Intercept, the news outlet he co-founded six years ago with the aim of preventing pretty much this exact situation.
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/glenn-...is-resignation

Quote:
“The irony,” Greenwald says, “is that a media outlet I co-founded, and which was built on my name and my accomplishments, with the purpose of guaranteeing editorial independence, is now censoring me in the most egregious way — about the leading presidential candidate, a week before the election.”
One has to ask a very obvious question .. if Joe Biden wins the election next week and the Democrats take over the Senate (both distinct possibilities) what will these people do? Is there any possible way that they would be interested in uncovering corruption in a Biden administration? I think the answer to that is more than obvious.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 10-30-20, 09:48 AM   #10979
Skybird
Soaring

I dont care for Biden and I think he will not do much, he is too old and senile. But his win prevents Trump, and that is the objective that must be acchieved. Trump is by far the biggest destruction factor in the American political landscape. The desaster he has spelled already now will outlive his term, and unfortunately probably forever. America will never recover from him and come back to former fame and status. The damage done is too big. Read the essay by Taghizadegan I oinked above.

I dont ask what Bidne will do. At best I ask what Harris will do.

Again, one does not vote for Biden for the sake of Biden. One votes Biden to prevent the much worse alternative. Its the same logic by which many people voted Trump last time - not because he was so wonderful to them, but because they wanted to prevent Clinton.

Personally, I think it all is damaged beyond repair. And China will likely launch hard action over Taiwan as long as Biden is in office.
Old 10-30-20, 10:15 AM   #10980
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
If big tech (Twitter, Facebook) will protect candidate Biden from scrutiny what will they do for President Biden? And what will be the reciprocal that a Biden administration will do for big tech? This is far more important than President Trump doing his standard routine with Lesley Stahl and NBCNews.
The idea that Facebook and Twitter act in favor of Biden and that there is a secret connection between big tech and the Dems was always dubious for me. Now we learn, that at least Facebook might disadvantage the Democrat's campaign:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...blocked-433645

Another big paycheck arriving (there is a wind from the East)?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter