Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 01-20-09, 07:03 PM   #1
mrfritz44
Seaman

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Good to be back!

From M1TP (DOS), to M1TP2, to Panzer Elite (heavily modded), to Steel Beasts 2 - they were all good in their own way. None have me like Steel Fury:Kharkov 1942.

This game has its problems, but with the community mods it is, and will be even moreso, an armor classic.

If you haven't tried it yet, FORGET THE DEMO! I almost relied on the demo to get an impression of the game. Thankfully, in the midst of a good Sunday morning caffeine high I broke down and bought the game online. By Sunday afternoon I was hooked.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. There's nothing like walking AP into a T-34 from 2 miles out, and this sim has the extensive landscapes to see that far in detail, and to keep your eyes from getting bored.

Fred

Old 01-22-09, 05:17 AM   #2
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

Greetings from Chucky! My first post here.Hi to all.
Fred,I too go back a long way with tank sims.I played M1 Tank Platoon to death on my trusty old Atari ST.I have owned just about every tank sim that was released since then.I have SP Pro PE but I never find the time to give it a real work-out.
I also played the Steel Fury demo and decided that it wasn't for me.However being a sucker for tank sims I bought it and was very surprised with what I got.

Let's just hope the modding community can make it even better! God Bless those guys
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 12:08 PM   #3
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
I have SP Pro PE but I never find the time to give it a real work-out.
Get it flashed up and get playing!Its the dogs danglies!

Since getting SB Pro Pe i havent played any other tank sim!
Old 01-22-09, 03:21 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
I have SP Pro PE but I never find the time to give it a real work-out.
Get it flashed up and get playing!Its the dogs danglies!

Wrong answer. The correct answer would be:
"Since getting SBP I haven't played any other sim."
Old 01-22-09, 04:28 PM   #5
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

I think my problem is I have too many Sims.I end up skimming over them all and not concentrating on just the one.
I get bored easy I think.It was the same with my women
Add to that I am addicted to Left 4 Dead and RO and there just never seems enough hours in the day (or evening).
Roll on retirement,I can then play 24/7
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 12:04 PM   #6
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Quote:

Actually you are correct,since i got SB Pro Pe i havent even looked at SH3 or even downloaded the new GWX 3 mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-09, 02:18 PM   #7
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually you are correct,since i got SB Pro Pe i havent even looked at SH3 or even downloaded the new GWX 3 mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was true for me as well. But the Black Shark managed to wrestle me from the Steel Beasts grip... at least for now. I guess the soon to be released SB Pro PE uppdate might mean that the Shark will be on the tarmac a bit more again. But at the moment I really enjoy flying the helicopter around and watch the scenery. Oh, sometimes I launch a weapon as well...

Cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 07:59 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't I told you?

Now, you need to learn Skybird's mantra, which goes like this:

1. The moderator is right.
2. The moderator is always right.
3. I will allway immediately believe and do what the moderator tells me.
4. And I'll do so in advance, because the moderator is the tanking god who transcends both past and future.

Porphy,

I see you have been a bad boy lately... [slap-slap, flatsch!]
Old 01-23-09, 11:32 PM   #9
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

SBP again ... and again. Tanksim.com should have a SBP free corner or something, because its starting to feel like the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 01-23-09, 11:40 PM   #10
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Come, join us....

:rotfl:
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 12:13 AM   #11
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
SBP again ... and again. Tanksim.com should have a SBP free corner or something, because its starting to feel like the Spanish Inquisition.
Stabiz, I think you'll find that the "SBP free corner" has been found in other forums. This place here is "Tanksim.com" in name only; post #4 demonstrates that more than clearly. "SBPsim.com" would be a much more fitting and certainly more accurate name.

IMHO it's much better to talk about non-SBP tanksims in their dedicated forums, free from spam and dribble like that in posts #4 and #8, rather than get frustrated over here in a place that really means nothing to anyone outside of SBP anyway (the "review" certainly saw to that).

I think a lack of release announcements here for Steel Fury or TvT mods indicates that others have already made the move, hence the perception of an increase in SBP threads when it's really just a decrease in non-SBP threads.

Let Skybird reap what he sows.

Last edited by JScones; 01-24-09 at 01:06 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 04:50 AM   #12
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
Stabiz, I think you'll find that the "SBP free corner" has been found in other forums. This place here is "Tanksim.com" in name only; post #4 demonstrates that more than clearly. "SBPsim.com" would be a much more fitting and certainly more accurate name.

IMHO it's much better to talk about non-SBP tanksims in their dedicated forums, free from spam and dribble like that in posts #4 and #8, rather than get frustrated over here in a place that really means nothing to anyone outside of SBP anyway (the "review" certainly saw to that).

I think a lack of release announcements here for Steel Fury or TvT mods indicates that others have already made the move, hence the perception of an increase in SBP threads when it's really just a decrease in non-SBP threads.

Let Skybird reap what he sows.
This thread was doing just fine, everyone expressing positive feelings about their favourite tank sim, and with some friendly bantering. The only derogatory and negative posts are yours. If you didn't notice, you just managed to reproduce the stuff you complain about.... Lighten up, and be happy when people talk about their different experiences with tank sims and sims in general. Bring in your own positive feel of Steel Fury, and there is no problem.

Sadly I seem to have left the Enemy Engaged days behind with my move to windows 7 (might have to do a XP install as well). The vista graphics driver doesn't like EECH. It's a shame as Arneh’s latest creation with the Hind is fantastic. Nothing like busting tanks with that flying monster! On the other side, swatting helos with Sabot rounds in SB Pro is fun as well.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 01-24-09 at 05:08 AM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 07:46 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Take this as an official announcement on forum policies.

Everybody here is free to post about the tanksim(s) of his choice. That people not liking SBP, but others, do not do that, is their problem, neither mine nor anybody elses.

I am also not responsible for SBP all in all triggering more activity around the web. Comparing the SBP forums and activities to that on the lighthouse forums, shows differences, at least the last time I checked the latter (and it has been some time, i admit). If any sim is or is not supported, and it it's publisher going or going not bankrupt - it is their issue, not mine.

As some threads have shown, this forum also accepts postings on other games that are not even closely related to armour sims, like strategy wargames, ground wargames and wargames in general. I would not even complain about Rainbow Six discussed here, or whatever. Use this forum if you want, don't use it if you don't want - your choice, your decision. the only thing you really must do is obeying the forum rules if you stay and post here - this is mandatory and will not be object of negotiation.

I myself certainly give constant updates on news regarding SBP - that is my private poster's business, not my moderator's business. If such a share of posts deal with SBP, that seem to be because no other -or not many - threads get launched by people regarding other games.

There are resource stickies for four different games. All contributions to them have been included in the information posts, plus giving a thanks and the contributor's name. It's just that no more contributions are coming in. Is that my fault - or yours, the communities? I only care for the correct maintenance of the resource stickies - not necessarily for all of the games they deal with.

This forum is what you make of it. It will be alive or dead according to your actions. After the strong personal hostility against me had faded because I did not agree with some people's attitude toward Steel Fury and labelled it a good game but a mediocre sim - I nevertheless was completely neutral towards it, or the other lighthouse title, like it should be for any moderator in a given forum. It got treated the same way like SBP, strategy games now being mentioned in a parallel thread, or Steel Panthers. All material posted on it got put into the ressources by me. You want these two titles being more representated here? Then represent it, do it, nobody is hindering you. Or M1TP2. Or Tank Commander or whatever. It's just that I am not busy with any of these games - I cannot post much about them even if I wanted. If they are your hobby - what is holding you back? Certainly not me.

If you think there is no music playing here, then start some music yourself.

I reap what I sow? Well, certainly I do, like everybody else. You guys for example reap the forum you have sowed in your shown or lacking activity. Me personally, I do not have a special fetish about this forum, it is not my baby but my job, and I like to do so, but am not emotionally depending on it - I just guard the rules and make sure everybody follows them. I am not the chief entertainer running the show all by himself. If you want that, grab some money and buy a ticket for something.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-24-09 at 08:22 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 08:09 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

And JScones, you really must spend some time working on your sense of humour.
Old 01-24-09, 08:11 AM   #15
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

That is an official announcement about nothing. Considering its called tanksim.com anyone would assume they are allowed to post about any tanksim(s).

Thats not the point. The point is that a thread about *insert game* will within a few hours/days be about SBP, no matter what the original poster asks about.