SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-20, 12:18 PM   #1
speedfreek
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Recognition Manual Glitch with OLC based Gui's

Hi guys,

I was playing SH3 waaaaay back, and dusted off my PC and returned to it recently. I don't have the strongest PC, its an old Vista Box with 3GB ram and a Geforce 8400GS card with 256MB ram, so I cant really play the mega-mods, but I wanted a GUI update.

I'm running at 1024x768 resolution and get pretty decent perfomance with stock SH3, along with a couple of mods like the SH4 effects mod and moon ambience (which I removed to test this problem).

Im on Vista Pro 32bit, SH3 1.4b download version from gamersgate which I understand to be good for modding, and I'm using JSGME latest version to add or remove mods.

I tried OLCGUI121_for_SH3_1.4b and it worked great, but was very dark and quite hardcore.

I also tried OLCGUI127 as it had a lighter and darker version, but in both versions I get a graphical problem with the recognition manual - it has a dark overlapping texture along the top and down the right.

I tried ACM GUI Reloaded - h.sies Edition V1.15 and I'm getting the exact same problem with the recognition manual.

I'm currently trying out MaGUI F, which I think I like the best, but yet again I have the same problem.

If I go back to OLCGUI121 the problem is gone, but its too dark for me.

There is no problem with the recognition manual in either stock or OLCGUI121, but something is changed after OLCGUI121 that affects every GUI mod based on it, on my system.

Anyone got any ideas for a fix? I love these GUI but the recognition manual graphical glitch is annoying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RecManualGlitchedcropped2.jpg (18.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by speedfreek; 07-08-20 at 12:33 PM.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:03 PM   #2
speedfreek
Swabbie

Hi again,

Just to add that I'm now trying out Widescreen MaGui 3.4 (Standalone Version), have the widescreen d3d9.dll and ini working properly and the Gui is working really well...

... but I still have that odd dark strip along the top and down the right side of the recognition manual.

I've tried to compare the differences between OLC GUI 1.2.1 (where the manual is fine) and 1.2.7 (where the manual has the problem), as it seems all the GUI I am trying are built upon OLC, but it has a different structure so I can't easily tell what has been done differently between the two.
Old 07-08-20, 08:43 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

speedfreek! after an eight year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 08:06 AM   #4
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Try here: https://www.gimp.org/
You will have to darken each image .tga.
KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 09:06 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Hey speedfreek,

Every vessel have their own recognition manual image that is placed on top of the recognition manual page image. It looks like in this case the image of the vessel is brighter than the recognition manual page image underneath.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 10:32 AM   #6
speedfreek
Swabbie

Thanks guys, that put me on the right track to find the problem.

It seems that, although all the GUI I have tried claim to be standalone installs, only OLC1.2.1 (the one that doesn't have the recognition manual problem) includes all the sea folders with the darkened ship info tga files in them. All the other GUI install files do not include these images, and seemingly just use the ship info images that already reside in the SH3 data/Sea folder.

Which seems a little odd, to me. I would have thought that would have been an issue when the GUI were released. But then again, I'm playing stock, and it seems most people install these GUI over a mega-mod like GWX or NYGM etc, so perhaps those mods already include the darker recognition manual ship images?

Anyway, it seems my choices are either to darken all the ship tga's to match the manual, or see if the ship images in OLC1.2.1 are able to be used, but the reason I didn't stick to OLC1.2.1 was that it was too dark anyway! So I think I might just lighten the 2 manual background images instead!

Thanks for helping me find the problem.

Last edited by speedfreek; 07-09-20 at 10:55 AM.