Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-19, 12:03 AM   #1
blackfalcon
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Range finding

Hello folks,

I am currently not using any major rework mods and I am trying to figure out a way to calculate the range of my targets. I was finding myself completely unable to hit even the slow moving targets from the tutorial. I use manual targeting and I have disabled map updates for target locations. I know the stadimeter is broken so I downloaded a mod from this website that is suppose to fix it. Even so, I was still unable to hit anything. I restarted and removed all the realism from the game so I could see the actual distance to the target just by clicking on its icon on the minimap. It turns out that for what ever reason the stadimeter is legit increasing the distance reading by 2.5x more than actual. Ie, an 800 meter target is showing 2 whole kilometers away.

I have tried to find guides online but they either use a bunch of mods, real time targets on the map, or just completely skip over the basics on range finding.

From what I understand, I aim my parascope at the top of the targets highest point and then move the image down until the highest point is just below the lowest point. What am I missing?
blackfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 01:34 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Distance is the less important factor for a torpedo solution...as far as you launch in the 1000m distance.
Target speed is the most important, then the AOB.
Firing at 800m, you can have a small AOB error, and even no distance set BUT a good target speed!

Distance is important only for long range kills.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 02:51 AM   #3
blackfalcon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Distance is the less important factor for a torpedo solution...as far as you launch in the 1000m distance.
Target speed is the most important, then the AOB.
Firing at 800m, you can have a small AOB error, and even no distance set BUT a good target speed!

Distance is important only for long range kills.
How would I calculate the speed? From what I understand there are two ways of calulating speed, how long it takes for the ship to travel its length (using the parascope) which requires you know how long the ship is, or by checking to see how far a ship travels in x seconds, which requires range. As silent hunter 5 gives you neither of these, how else (without just enabling the 'give me perfect solutions every time) would I get a proper solution? I like to play games thru once before moding them too heavily but man, ubisoft done us up like a kipper this time.
Old 07-17-19, 03:50 AM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfalcon View Post
How would I calculate the speed? From what I understand there are two ways of calulating speed, how long it takes for the ship to travel its length (using the parascope) which requires you know how long the ship is, or by checking to see how far a ship travels in x seconds, which requires range. As silent hunter 5 gives you neither of these, how else (without just enabling the 'give me perfect solutions every time) would I get a proper solution? I like to play games thru once before moding them too heavily but man, ubisoft done us up like a kipper this time.
Right click on the clock and you’ll get the U-Jagd chrono
First you need to identify correctly the target, and you’ll get its length on the ID book.
Then adjust the vertical periscope line at target bow and start chrono...stop it at the stern and read on U-Jagd what you get for your target length —-> that’s its speed
Keep in mind best is to be stopped or very low speed to get accurate target speed, and if possible near to 90°...

There are some U-Jagd chrono tuto on the web if you don’t understand me
Old 07-17-19, 12:41 PM   #5
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

You can also learn the 4 bearing method to find out everything you need in one method, but it takes quite a bit of map work and will take some commitment learning it.

A really long time ago when I used to play SH3, and this was before I switched to realism mods and used to have all the map info active. I remember using a method where you would mark the target on your map, then start the stop watch and mark the target again after 3m15s. you multiplied or did something with the distance it traveled in this time to get its speed. You could look this method up.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 06:19 PM   #6
blackfalcon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Right click on the clock and you’ll get the U-Jagd chrono
First you need to identify correctly the target, and you’ll get its length on the ID book.
Then adjust the vertical periscope line at target bow and start chrono...stop it at the stern and read on U-Jagd what you get for your target length —-> that’s its speed
Keep in mind best is to be stopped or very low speed to get accurate target speed, and if possible near to 90°...

There are some U-Jagd chrono tuto on the web if you don’t understand me
Yea, I know that method however the u-jagd isnt i the base game and also, the base game does not tell you what the length is. Is there a mod that you know of that adds length to the ID book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgety View Post
You can also learn the 4 bearing method to find out everything you need in one method, but it takes quite a bit of map work and will take some commitment learning it.

A really long time ago when I used to play SH3, and this was before I switched to realism mods and used to have all the map info active. I remember using a method where you would mark the target on your map, then start the stop watch and mark the target again after 3m15s. you multiplied or did something with the distance it traveled in this time to get its speed. You could look this method up.
Yes, I know that method also, however, the stadimeter is broken so you can not find the distance. This is my problem, there are two ways to calculate speed. One requires knowing the ships length (which the game does not give you), the other is being able to mark its exact position on the map, and the range finder is broken.
Old 07-17-19, 08:55 PM   #7
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33

Yes, I know that method also, however, the stadimeter is broken so you can not find the distance. This is my problem, there are two ways to calculate speed. One requires knowing the ships length (which the game does not give you), the other is being able to mark its exact position on the map, and the range finder is broken.

You said on your original post that you weren't using any major mods, I assumed the standard game had ship markers on the map to make it more accessable to normal players. Thats why I suggested the 3.15 method. Also I seem to remember reading that the weapons officer gives you things like range etc if the realism settings are turned off.

The only way I know without identifying the target first is the 4 bearing method. You dont have to even surface your ship with this method. But, considering you dont want or can't identify a ship I doubt this method is for you.

Im confused with your posts really, I find it hard to see how base game can provide a identification book and not put ship length in it, but, I have never played any time on standard game I knew to stay away from it. It is completely littered with bugs and everything I have read suggests its unplayable with the tonnage bar bug.
Your main concern I have read is that the stadimeter is broke. I found this in the mods section >

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=171615

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fidgety; 07-17-19 at 09:12 PM.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 12:44 AM   #8
Fifi
Navy Seal

Of course you have to play TWOS to get the U-Jagd chrono and a working stadimeter, because vanilla game is completely broken