SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-21, 07:02 PM   #46
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Downloads: 313
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckenberg View Post
Just to be sure. Could you post here a video of DD throwing depth charges and subsequent water geysers?
I want to be sure before I start drilling into the game installation.
Video has been recorded. Time of editing it and uploading it on YouTube and the video will be up. Recorded in 4K resolution.
Viktor_Prien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 08:03 PM   #47
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Here is the video you requested. I hope that's what you was expecting by it. 4K resolution will become available in some time. ( Refresh the video and check )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-16-21 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-17-21, 01:58 AM   #48
Muckenberg
Planesman

Downloads: 527

Good day
Thank you very much for the published video. So it looks like I'm fine. I have the same water geysers in the game as you.
So when the DD bomb drops in the depths, we have the same geysers. Classic SH5. However, in the first video, a plane throws a depth bomb at you, and the geyser is different from the depth bomb from DD.
I guess I can't be afraid of so many planes and be bombed and find out what's going on.
Thank you very much for your help.
Muckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 12:24 AM   #49
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

I like the German writings for the realism but unfortunaly, at least for me, is not so intuitive and easy to use having the repair tag-button in German language/text so I've modifed the relavant files so to have both the German and the English language available at the same time.
Now the damage tag-buttons have English text while instead in the middle description box ( Once you select an item ) the name of the apparatus/equipment/item of interest is displayed in German language.
The detailed description remains in English as per normal.
A lot more intuitive and easy to use for the ones that are not German mother tongue, IMHO.
In the case that it could be of interest, please note vdr1981, that I've also found a bunch of typos and errors in the original TWoS files about this and so I've corrected them. ( 4 Typos, 1 Item wrong designation ).
All the writings and tag-buttons have been set so to be fully visible both in 2K ( 2560x1440 pixels ) and 4K ( 4096x2160 pixels ) screen resolutions.

Reference Image ( Click on the image to enlarge it )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-20-21 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-20-21, 05:38 AM   #50
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor_Prien View Post
I like the German writings for the realism but unfortunaly, at least for me, is not so intuitive and easy to use having the repair tag-button in German language/text so I've modifed the relavant files so to have both the German and the English language available at the same time...

good job!
will these be included in TWOS, or the files can be downloaded separately?
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 08:03 AM   #51
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
good job!
will these be included in TWOS, or the files can be downloaded separately?
It depends. I have first to talk with vdr1981 ( He's currently busy ) and ask him what he prefers. In the meanwhile I will finish the files for all the human playable subs ( So far I've completed only the VIIA and I'm still running some tests to check that the mod is fully stable and bug-free but I do not expect any major issues with it ).

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-20-21 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 11:41 PM   #52
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Update #3

- I have now completed the translations of the writings of the " Systems " menu of the types VIIA, VIIB, VIIC, VIIC/41. Tomorrow I'll complete the U-FlaK too, so then this part will be complete for the time being.

- Finally I've got rid of the writings popping-up when you pass the mouse over a character ( Something that for me was very annoying because it ruined the immersion IMHO ).
No more character name and level of training are displayed ( I've removed the training % too for realism purposes ). Now when you will pass the mouse over the character of interest the pointer of the mouse will switch to a small hand shape so to be still able, easily, to select the intended character, when needed.
Interesting to note that this seems to have drastically removed the micro-stutters and improved the smoothness of the mouse movements while moving in the various sub interiors.

- Made every mod as a stand-alone for the time being so they can be easily managed/checked/tested in the future.

- Corrected the relevant files of the option TWoS mod " TWoS Remove Sub Flags " so that now the flag pole do not disappear when you enable the mod. ( Only the flag will be removed )

- Added missing keybindings to my keys profile.

- Created a dedicated VoiceAttack profile including all the commands available in the game. ( Plus enabling/disabling all the mods and starting all the relevant programs automatically via voice input )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-29-21 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 02:56 AM   #53
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
- Corrected the relevant files of the option TWoS mod " TWoS Remove Sub Flags " so that now the flag pole do not disappear when you enable the mod. ( Only the flag will be removed )
About this point: photos of U-Boats taken in combat (not in port when flag would be raised) don't show the flagpole:

https://ww2today.com/wp-content/uplo...ember-1940.jpg

https://www.awesomestories.com/image...5688d3362b.jpg

And here, you can see close-up of flagpole base (just left of large AA gun):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../U995-Turm.JPG

I'm not sure, but judging from these photos it seems to me that flagpole was removable and except for the times when flag was to be raised (i.e. port/friendly waters), it would be disassembled (makes sense - addidional useless thing sticking up from the bridge that obscures AA guns field of fire and raises the risk of being detected)
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 11:17 PM   #54
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

At least with the data I have pretty much it should be so:

- Early Type VII variants got a fixed flag pole on one side of the turm where the flag was attached/removed. Another one was present in the bow of the sub ( Mainly Type VIIA pre-war variants only ). Of these variants I have both images with fixed flag pole or with it removed and even with the flag pole housing ( Probably retro-fitted IMHO ) like on the VIIC. Hard to establish for sure what was the " standard configuration ". ( As always happen when researching/being interested about WW2 German equipments )

Sample ( Type VIIB with the fixed/welded flag pole [ U-45 ], 25 June 1938 the day it was put into service under the command of Kptlt. Alexander Gelhaar )

Sample Type VIIB, U-51, fixed flag pole detail

Sample Type VIIB, U-52, Memel, summer 1941, fixed/welded flag pole detail

- Starting from the VIIC there was a dedicated cilindrical housing for the flag pole ( or several depending, I guess, on field modifications ) so that the rod of the flag was removed after not needed anymore. You can see the flag housing very well in the Type VIIC close-up image below. ( ...and you can notice also a smaller one on the right side probably used for the pennants pole IMHO )
You can see more complex flag pole housings on later variants like the Type IX ( Check for example the pictures of the U-505 where you can notice a pretty elaborate flag pole housing composed at least of three parts, one in the upper part of the rail guard and one at the bottom of it, with in the middle, what seems to be, a blocking system for the flag pole ).

* Take in mind that I'm currently using a type VIIA that's why I've enabled the flag pole

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-27-21 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 01:09 PM   #55
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

UPDATE #4

Started to work actively on the following stuffs:

Improving the Remove/Activate Sub Flags behaviour

Goal: Having the sub flag/s automatically moved at the correct place ( when surfaced ) or removed ( When submerged ) without being forced to, every time, enabling/disabling the mod of interest

Next Step: If what written above will be feasible, the next step will be looking if there is the possibility of adding the pennants too ( Always in an automated or semi-automated way as above )

Priority Status: - Flags: Secondary - Pennants: Secondary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improving the on-screen Warning Icons for orders

Goal: In the option file by TDW one of the options that is missing ( Feature planned but not yet added ) is the change to have the warning icons for orders ( Like for example the " Man at the battle stations " or the " Man the deck guns ", just to quote two of them ) disappearing after a certain amount of time ( Actually, once activated, these warning icons remains always visible on-screen ).
Letting them hide from the HUD and be displayed only for a fixed amount can be achieved pretty esily so I will add this option too ( Always as stand alone JSGME mod for the time being )

Priority Status: Primary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improving the crew voices routine

Goal: A thing that I really don't like is that actually almost all the crew voices, under certain conditions, are quite messed up ( For example when you are on silent running you continue to get the crew screaming orders instead of whispering them ). The same applies to some sound associated with the order of interest ( For example certain ringing bells playing when they instead they should not or ringing with a wrong sound associated ).
I've already took a look at the scripts and they are fortunately quite easy to be edited/modified accordingly ( Thanks Evil they are not complicated as the ones of the IL-2 Blitz Series! ).
I've also already located all the other files that should be of interest for realising this mod.
It will require time, because the files to be edited are a lot, but it seems to be fully feasible after the first tests/trials I have done about this aspect of the game.

Improving the aircraft DM, sounds, routines and fixing errors/glitches/bugs

Goal: Again, another thing that currently I really don't like of SH5.
The DM ( Acronym of " Damage Model " ) in the current version of TWoS ( .. but be clear, it's not fault at all of the mod creator/s but instead of the original game developers ) is beyond arcadish. With a few shots, just to quote a thing, you can let explode, for example, a medium/large bomber.
In addition some sounds of the aircraft are really bad ( For example the current Stuka seems to be more a flying fart than a real aircraft )
The same applies for certain aircraft routines and behaiours.
I have also noticed some glitches with aircraft ( For example under certain conditions and angles you will see the Stuka tail rudder flying some meters behind the aircraft. Normally this is provoked by nodes/3D parts overlapping so I will look into it, hopefully fixing it.
Again, it will require time, because the files to be edited are a lot, but it seems to be fully feasible after the first tests/trials I have done about this aspect of the game.

I'm also working on a lot of secondary stuffs that I will not mention in detail until the work will be completed and fully tested.
For now I'll say only that most of this part of the work covers the following:

- Improved loading times
- Spelling Errors
- Fixing minor glitches/stuffs found so far
- Improved fonts/writings/dials visibility for high resolution monitors ( Mainly 2K and 4K ones )
- Fixing/Improving menus layout and structure
- Removing useless/annoying tooltips ( For example I do not need an on-screen help text telling me tha I'm looking at the hydrophone when it's so obvious what the item of interest is )
- ... and lots of other minor stuffs that I notice while working on the various files mentioned above

Priority Status: Primary or Secondary depending on the file of interest

End of the report.
Old 01-29-21, 01:22 PM   #56
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

The " Planned Schedule " in the first post has been updated accordingly.

CROSS LINK: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=248048
Old 01-30-21, 01:20 PM   #57
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
CommandClass = <[Generic] | Depth | Course | Speed | ... >; used to group some commands which affect the submarine's behavior in the same way
1- Are there any other known classes in addition to the ones above?

2- Any idea where the file that defines the classes is located? ( if any )

3- Any idea what could be the class for commands like " Toggle Battle Stations " ?

Thanks in advance!

* I'm asking this because in the commands file ( Command # 436 ) this command is set as generic so only the first sound file will be used ( or rather MC_CR_SO_01_A ). This result in the fact that even when you secure from the battle stations you get the audio file activated who says " All men at battle stations, quick quick! ". In the file ( Note that the quote below is from my custom custom file but the writings " not working " are the same in the original commands file ). I've tried changing the first one with the audio file who says to secure the battle station but the audio file doesn't seems to be used correctly by the game, so, if you set it as first you will not get any voice both when enabling/secure the battle stations.

[Cmd436]
Name=Toggle_battle_stations
Contexts=1
Key0=0x42,s,"SHIFT + B"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
CommandClass=Battle stations --> Here I'm experimenting trying to use some additional " guess " CommandClass until I will not find the file of interest that defines the classes
Sound_0=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_SO_03;#KarlKoch not working;was MC_CR_SO_01_A *Note: Here I've tried to change the first audio file but no sound is played if doing so. To be noted that instead the default MC_CR_SO_01_A works even if in the file
notes is listed as " not working ". The MC_CR_SO_03 audio file works only if enebled via the XO dialog box.

Sound_1=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_SO_01_B;#KarlKoch not working
Sound_2=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_SO_03;#KarlKoch not working

** I'm also checking the Scripts to see if there is any reference to the " Enable/Secure Battle Stations " command

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-30-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 05:54 PM   #58
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

This evening while working on other stuffs I've also made some initial tests about if is possible to have pennants in game ( Note that the one in the image it's just a basic one used only for the tests and that I've blurred the swastika in the image for forum purposes; In game it will be visible as per normal ).
Well the reply is, definitively yes! ( I will later make the various 3D stuffs needed to have the victory pennants located in the correct position/attached to the right place ).
In addition I have also made some tests about the semi-automation of the flags/pennants ( Flags/Pennants on/off depending on user choice ) and also this seems to be fully feasible ( It will require just a bit of " Magic Mod Powder " and time )

( Click the image if you want to enlarge it )
Old 02-01-21, 01:49 AM   #59
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 580
Uploads: 7

Quote:
This evening while working on other stuffs I've also made some initial tests about if is possible to have pennants in game ( Note that the one in the image it's just a basic one used only for the tests and that I've blurred the swastika in the image for forum purposes; In game it will be visible as per normal ).
Well the reply is, definitively yes! ( I will later make the various 3D stuffs needed to have the victory pennants located in the correct position/attached to the right place ).
In addition I have also made some tests about the semi-automation of the flags/pennants ( Flags/Pennants on/off depending on user choice ) and also this seems to be fully feasible ( It will require just a bit of " Magic Mod Powder " and time )

( Click the image if you want to enlarge it )

It looks great and in my opinion will be a pennant much better like the normal flag.
I look forward for the first release of your "little" mod.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 10:15 AM   #60
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Question:

I would like to change the zoom level at which the ships's silouettes are displayed/become visible on the navigation map.

Do I have to play with the SymbolZoom parameter correct?

[Map0]
MapID=Navigation_map
Position=0,0
Resolution=1024,656
MajorSqrs=4,2.4
MinorSqrs=5,5
PixPerUnit=50
ZoomLevels=1,2,5,10,20,50,100,200,500,1000,2000,40 00,10000,20000,40000; meters per pixel
InitialZoom=500
SymbolZoom=10;units are drawn as symbols from this zoom up
GroupsZoom=100;units are drawn in groups from this zoom up
CityZoom=10000;city names are displayed from this zoom down
KriegZoom=2000;krieg labels are separated displayed from this zoom up
HarborZoom=50;harbors will be displayed from this zoom up

-- SOLVED --

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 02-06-21 at 05:59 AM.