SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-20, 09:18 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Dutch Harbor

Want to make a few patrols out of Dutch Harbor in 42 and 43 in TMO. Anyone know exactly how to do it? Want to transfer from Pearl to Dutch for a few patrols. Trying for a quick fix, cant seem to get it right.

Also, how to control time of your departure? getting way too many night departures. From what I understand, this was rare to not depart on patrol at least at dawn, to avoid friendly fire. Bugs me, new patrol has me departing at 0023 hours from pearl lol

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 08-19-20 at 09:27 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 10:25 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

This is the problem with the game... You come in at 0132 on the 12th, with a 14 day layover in TMO, and you'll depart at 0132 on the 26th - 14 days later... why they don't round-up to say 0600 hours, or 0610 hours or whatever, I dunno...

As to the Alaska start, it's like the New Construction start. There is only the one on June 1, 1942. There are a couple things you could do. The most thorough is to add Dutch Harbor to more starts, Flotilla 4 in the Flotillas.upc file is already built. The PatrolObjectives.cfg is already built. All you have to do is add starts to the CareerStart.upc menu file, and re-number things below. So [CareerStart 3] is set to 06-05-1942, you have a "Flotilla1", 2, 3, 4 & 5 already there, add this:
[CareerStart 3.Flotilla 6]
ID= C3Flotilla6
NameDisplayable= Dutch Harbor, Alaska
IDLinkFlotilla= AlaskaCommand
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F4Sboat, 1
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2
and presto-chango, you have an Alaska start same time frame, but now it's on the main menu, along with Pearl, Fremantle, Brisbane, Midway, and Fremantle Div 2. For each of the Career Starts, all you do is change the CareerStart number, and the Flotilla number as necessary to follow the others, such that say you're going to add to CareerStart 4 for the beginning of 1943, you just change the above to:
[CareerStart 4.Flotilla 6]
ID= C4Flotilla6
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F4Sboat, 1, F4Sboat2, 1
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2
Since there are the same number of "flotillas" as in CareerStart 3, that stays the same, but you bump up the CareerStart number and the ID number "C#"... I forget off the top of my head about when the S-42 come in, but we have them in April of 1942. May or may not be accurate, I do not remember. I do know though, that part of the reason they did not have enough boats up there was because of the S-18 overhauls taking quite a bit longer than expected, and then quite a few of them broke down on the way up, or maybe on their first patrols, and some went right back where they came from (mostly San Diego). In FotRSU, we took a few of the missions and altered the weather variables, and we still get too much clear, smooth, sunshiney days up there, so we'll have to roughen things up a pinch more... lol

You can also change the end date for Dutch Harbor in the Flotillas.upc, to extend the S-Boats' stay until December of 1943 when the last patrol went out from there (the 15th??). You could also change the boats' 'definition' and have them transfer somewhere when they fun is over there. Don't forget to do your "housekeeping" down below for CareerStart 9 for the old Alaska start. You do lose that nice picture, but we added it to a new Spring of 1942 start in FotRSU, combining it with the Brisbane kick-off of April 15, 1942. If you delete that Alaska start, you will have re-number the New Construction starts below... don't forget the ID numbering on those!

Now, TMO only has 10 PatrolObjectives files for the area, set with only 2 ObjectiveCode= in the Flotillas.upc to co-incide with the 2 AllMatch= in PatrolObjectives for their assignment. I don't think lurker added any with RSRDC. Look in the FotRSU12, and see what you like, but you'll then have to add to the Flotillas.upc for mission calls, and to the PatrolObjectives.cfg for the actual assignments. Add to the DynamicMiss.cfg if you want to have them assigned by a "Status Report". Just watch the ID and Section numbering there... Good luck, have fun, ask away with any questions!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-19-20 at 10:35 PM.
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 12:33 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This is the problem with the game... You come in at 0132 on the 12th, with a 14 day layover in TMO, and you'll depart at 0132 on the 26th - 14 days later... why they don't round-up to say 0600 hours, or 0610 hours or whatever, I dunno...

As to the Alaska start, it's like the New Construction start. There is only the one on June 1, 1942. There are a couple things you could do. The most thorough is to add Dutch Harbor to more starts, Flotilla 4 in the Flotillas.upc file is already built. The PatrolObjectives.cfg is already built. All you have to do is add starts to the CareerStart.upc menu file, and re-number things below. So [CareerStart 3] is set to 06-05-1942, you have a "Flotilla1", 2, 3, 4 & 5 already there, add this:
[CareerStart 3.Flotilla 6]
ID= C3Flotilla6
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F4Sboat, 1
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2
and presto-chango, you have an Alaska start same time frame, but now it's on the main menu, along with Pearl, Fremantle, Brisbane, Midway, and Fremantle Div 2. For each of the Career Starts, all you do is change the CareerStart number, and the Flotilla number as necessary to follow the others, such that say you're going to add to CareerStart 4 for the beginning of 1943, you just change the above to:
ID= C4Flotilla6
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F4Sboat, 1, F4Sboat2, 1
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2
Since there are the same number of "flotillas" as in CareerStart 3, that stays the same, but you bump up the CareerStart number and the ID number "C#"... I forget off the top of my head about when the S-42 come in, but we have them in April of 1942. May or may not be accurate, I do not remember. I do know though, that part of the reason they did not have enough boats up there was because of the S-18 overhauls taking quite a bit longer than expected, and then quite a few of them broke down on the way up, or maybe on their first patrols, and some went right back where they came from (mostly San Diego). In FotRSU, we took a few of the missions and altered the weather variables, and we still get too much clear, smooth, sunshiney days up there, so we'll have to roughen things up a pinch more... lol

You can also change the end date for Dutch Harbor in the Flotillas.upc, to extend the S-Boats' stay until December of 1943 when the last patrol went out from there (the 15th??). You could also change the boats' 'definition' and have them transfer somewhere when they fun is over there. Don't forget to do your "housekeeping" down below for CareerStart 9 for the old Alaska start. You do lose that nice picture, but we added it to a new Spring of 1942 start in FotRSU, combining it with the Brisbane kick-off of April 15, 1942. If you delete that Alaska start, you will have re-number the New Construction starts below... don't forget the ID numbering on those!

Now, TMO only has 10 PatrolObjectives files for the area, set with only 2 ObjectiveCode= in the Flotillas.upc to co-incide with the 2 AllMatch= in PatrolObjectives for their assignment. I don't think lurker added any with RSRDC. Look in the FotRSU12, and see what you like, but you'll then have to add to the Flotillas.upc for mission calls, and to the PatrolObjectives.cfg for the actual assignments. Add to the DynamicMiss.cfg if you want to have them assigned by a "Status Report". Just watch the ID and Section numbering there... Good luck, have fun, ask away with any questions!
Thanks for the info. Last patrol i arrived back at pearl at dawn so it had me begin next one at midnight ...

I should have clarified How do i add it so fleet boats can operate out of dutch harbor ? Have a porpoise class currently . want to add so can transfer there next patrol and have gato etc all types as transfer option in june 42. Fleet boats were seeing action there . in summer of 42

I agree weather is too nice lol hope u guys can fix it. Have the pseudo cold weather clothing mod now looks silly departing hawaii though lmao
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:11 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Just a pinch more complex, but not bad... To add boats for the starts, you would need to utilize the Flotillas.upc, and copy a boat from say Pearl, and change it to a Flotilla 4 boat, then add that to the CareerStart file. Such that
[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1]
ID= F1Porpoise
NameDisplayable= Porpoise class
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Porpoise
UnitTypeCommonality= 4
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL
For Pearl becomes
[Flotilla 4.UserPlayerUnitType 3]
ID= F4Porpoise
NameDisplayable= Porpoise class
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Porpoise
UnitTypeCommonality= 4
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL
... and then added to the [Flotilla 4] subs after the S-42 (SBoat2) listing. You then need to copy the Objectives for one of the SBoats, and make them for the Porpoise with
[Flotilla 4.UserPlayerUnitType 3.Objective 1]
ID= Alaska3Obj1
NameDisplayable= Attu
AvailabilityInterval=NULL, 1942-06-31
ObjectiveCode= Attu

[Flotilla 4.UserPlayerUnitType 3.Objective 2]
ID= Alaska3Obj2
NameDisplayable= Kiska
AvailabilityInterval=1942-07-01, 1942-08-31
ObjectiveCode= Kiska
and down the line, if that's the way you want to do them, or just "NULL, NULL" for the AvailabilityInterval lines, so that they're assigned anytime. You can overlap dates here, and let the game do the deciding, or overlap part of a period for game decision in that part, or do like Duimus did there, and specifically assign patrol areas by date.

Then in all of the CareerStarts items you have for Dutch Harbor, you just add the Porpoise (in this case) to your start, such that you add:
ID= C4Flotilla6
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F4Sboat, 1, F4Sboat2, 1, F4Porpoise, 1
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2
So the CareerStart uses "Flotilla" differently from "Flotillas" does, just remember that, but you still use the shorthand "F4" shorthand of the IDLink line to point to your boat in the [Flotilla 4] section of the Flotillas file ID= line... There is a comma added after the "1" of the "F4SBoats2, 1", then the "F4Porpoise", then another comma, and the number of boats, in this "1" again... you are not supposed to exceed the number of available boats in the game, so a "1" is generally acceptable - unless you are beyond the Availability dates of the boat, of course...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote