Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-19, 04:00 AM   #1
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Support Automation and Kiel Canal

I just used the Automation option to transit the Kiel Canal. It was superb, I just sat, drank coffee, listened to the gramophone whilst the pilot took us through. So big thank you to the provider of Automation.
I have looked through the other "scripts" and was wondering which ones might be the most useful to use on a regular basis when on patrol so would appreciate other skippers thoughts.

As an aside, many years ago when I was the radio operator onboard a small fishery protection vessel (HMS KEDLESTON) I transited the Kiel Canal (1970) and had a great time in Schleswig-Holstein where I actually met some old German Navy sailors, one who survived the U-Boat war. I traded my navy milk churn lid for an old German U-boat hat that I wore when on patrol and out of harbour.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 10:50 AM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I only used the Kiel auto script and real navigation.

I never use anything else.

The search scripts burn through your fuel as they push your uboat up to 18+ knots during the search.

All other scripts are things a captain should be a part of and not observing.

My opinion.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 11:06 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm still waiting for working lock gates. Also I believe that in real life ships in the canal have the same speed limit as those on harbors; i.e. 5 knots.
Old 06-10-19, 11:13 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Harbor Pilot scripts:
Every 'Harbor Pilot' in the scripts will work with one limitation: Don't save the game and reload the script because it will not work anymore, starting the script outside of the bunker will result your sub driving against walls and ships (in some cases some of these harbor scripts still work, but if they don't you realize it too late and you go against an obstacle damaging your sub...)
These scripts are best used from the bunker only, or from within a certain starting radius if you use it to enter port (you will get a message). You can change your sub speed, the script will adapt. Also you can use TC and of course you can always switch to manual waypoint control by disabling the script.
If you play SH5 for longer time, you'll be happy with these harbor scripts because some ports are really difficult to navigate out of them (La Spezia for example). In these cases, use the script starting from the bunker and disable it as soon as you have passed the 'difficult' passage.

Attack/Evasion scripts; situational scripts:
Other scripts, like attack or evasion scripts, can be paused / unpaused and be launched at any time when necessary.
For example, if you play TWoS which has very aggressive planes that could attack you when you are on the surface, you want to prepare the script Attack > 'Flak Gun with sub zig-zags' ready to launch at any time. When an enemy plane is insight, you hit x to start the script and you prepare to dive with a good timing. With a bad timing, a bomb hit when you are diving can mean the end of the game, so be sure to give the dive command at the right time! Because your sub is running zig-zags at flank speed and all flak guns are manned and ready to fire (all this is done automatically by the script), a surface hit is way more diffiult for the enemy plane. So use this script !

Tutorial Scripts launched from the Main Menu:
Then, there are 'Tutorial scripts' which are designed to be run with a specific 'Historical Mission', using them in other occasions will not yield good results. If you chose a tutorial, you will see displayed onscreen which mission you should load with it. This is a much better way to learn procedures rather than to read fastidious documents or watch videos that you won't have ready in-game when it matters, like the 4-Bearing method, how to intercept a convoy, using the RAOB disk, how to configure and fire your torpedos etc.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-10-19 at 12:09 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 04:41 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm wondering why the "Spanish dictionary" link is in your quote of my post. I obviously didn't put that there.