SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-10, 05:10 PM   #46
U812
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well she's past every test now with flying colors. Next Friday weather permitting she hit's the local lake. Can't wait!

Next thing I'm considering doing is installing the working torpedoes that came with this boat. If only I could get the deck gun to work. Wait...if there's a will there's a way?

Steve
U812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 12:56 PM   #47
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

Working torpedoes ? You mean like really firing them at a certain point and distance ? As far as the deck gun goes maybe you could simulate it firing, like flames and smoke at least. You can make the deck gun turn using a small simple engine that goes back and forth (and would allow the gun to turn sideways). She's looking very good nonetheless.
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 01:06 PM   #48
U812
Sparky

Thanks Alex. The beauty of this boat at this point in it's life is it's big enough to add as many working items as one needs to over time. Every time I have a good patrol she'll get an upgrade.

Thanks again for the kind words about her.

U812
Old 04-08-10, 02:44 PM   #49
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Now I don't know what other boats you have lying around, but have you ever thought of converting one of Revell's Gato's into an RC ? I've seen quite a handful of them around the web... giving the fact that it's been released a lot later than the u-boats I've heard that they're pretty darn accurate in detail and everything

PS: could also try attaching a small camera to the submarine haha if you're feeling a bit Jacques Cousteau-ish

Last edited by alexradu89; 04-08-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 04:00 PM   #50
U812
Sparky

http://sneillfx.com/page13

I've done it and although a great deal smaller it's still a decent sized model. One I can take to the lake under my arm. It takes two people to deal with the big VIIC.

There have been at lease 10 or more Gato's that I know of that have been converted to RC. And the Seaview and so on and so forth.

Look over my web site and you'll see what I mean. Currently I building a large Seaview for a customer: www.stevneill.wordpress.com

Enjoy,

Steve

Old 04-08-10, 07:33 PM   #51
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

My Gato's a display model in my bedroom, it's the biggest model I've built and it's my pride and joy.

Props on whoever's wearing the Foo Fighters shirt, I used to play in a band that covered FF songs all the time.

I'm going to buy another later on (probably later on in life) for conversion to R/C, I will just do something to make it truly unique.
I found a website that sells addons for the 1/72 Gato kit,
http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Csets2.htm
I want to convert my R/C Gato into a GUPPY, that would be the coolest thing.

but you can also see they sell early war tower versions and many other parts to make your Gato truly unique (and how about making it a Balao? that made my day)
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 07:58 PM   #52
U812
Sparky

My T-shirt has nothing to do with the band: www.foofightersmovie.com

It's a hour and a half movie I have been making for the last year. It's nearly done.

I'd say do the conversion we have enough Gatos. To learn more about RC submarines go here: www.subpirates.com

Steve
Old 04-09-10, 01:54 AM   #53
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Oh my god ?! your movie ?! aw man if only it was a naval warfare/submarine movie. Loving the P-51s, not everyday you encounter someone who's hobbies are movies, model RCs
Old 04-09-10, 01:20 PM   #54
U812
Sparky

Well it will be if I ever get a budget. But P-51 and pilots are cheaper to do than VIICs.

I'd have to build a VII interior. But in Foo Fighters all I had to do was put the actors in a CGI cockpit. And the only reason I could even afford that is I do CGI for a living and have all the goodies to do it. But yes I WW2 submarine movie would be a desired next project if I can.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 04-09-10, 01:35 PM   #55
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Can you tell us some of the project's you've worked on ? Big ones maybe
Old 04-09-10, 02:31 PM   #56
U812
Sparky

Go to my website and take a look: www.sneillfx.com there is a list there somewhere and more about the various movies I have worked on.

Thanks a bunch,

Steve AKA U812

Tags
model