SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-07, 05:00 PM   #16
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
When you're happy with what you have, zip it up and send it to me. I'll host it, you betcha!
Thanks SubGuru. I think I'm happy with what I have and will send you the files. There should be two files. One with the BB changes, the other with the reduced interface volumes.

lb

Last edited by LoBlo; 02-24-07 at 01:00 AM.
LoBlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 10:06 AM   #17
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Any news about this?

I'm very interested in this mod.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-07, 02:00 PM   #18
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220
Uploads: 0

LoBlo - can you bring us up to speed on this eagerly awaited mod ?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 03:50 PM   #19
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Glad to see someone working on it. It is very annoying when you are a few miles from a Han at 20 knots, you have a good BB trace but then you put your cursor on it you can't hear jack.

Maybe someone should compare SC sfx levels adn DW ones.
Old 03-20-07, 11:44 AM   #20
BobbyZero
Mate

Downloads: 9

OK, some of us are EXTREMELY impatient....is there any link where we can get this sound mod right away?
I've been checking SubGuru at least every hour today, and I just CAN'T WAIT to see it on the downloads page.

As for the idea, it rocks

I just wanted to ask: I know that PING was toned down for SCommand, is there somewhere already a modded sound file with a toned down ping for DW? Because stock sound file is really awful, waaay too piercing and loud.
BobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 02:56 PM   #21
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
I just wanted to ask: I know that PING was toned down for SCommand, is there somewhere already a modded sound file with a toned down ping for DW? Because stock sound file is really awful, waaay too piercing and loud.
The finiteless stand alone sound mods are highly recommended...

Cheers,
David
Old 03-20-07, 07:08 PM   #22
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I did this a long time ago for SC. So, simple even I could do it:

(1) Unpack all sounds.
(2) Use a batch wave editor to boost the amplitude.
(3) Repack all sounds.
(4) Swap SFX file.

Note: That in early versions of SC maybe up to 1.05, BB was much more pronounced. Then the sound volume dropped substantially with later patches.

However, doing this does change the game. It becomes fairly easy to identify surface ships which might at a distance be confused for a closer sub just by listening to the BB noise.

Probably a good idea not to over do it, since with NB how many lines you get varis and thus, leaves some ambiguity. But the game engine probably always selects the right wave file to play. Thus, if you can hear the wave file, then the whole issue of NB ambiguity is irrelevant.
Old 03-20-07, 07:11 PM   #23
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyZero
OK, some of us are EXTREMELY impatient....is there any link where we can get this sound mod right away?
I've been checking SubGuru at least every hour today, and I just CAN'T WAIT to see it on the downloads page.
Oh, so YOU'RE the one
Old 03-20-07, 07:17 PM   #24
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I only did this for myself and did not post it anywhere.

The resultant file SFX.AGG is pretty large: 162Mb.

---

If you want to try out my file for SC/SCXIIC/SCU v1.08, I can upload it to my business FTP server for you.
Old 03-20-07, 07:18 PM   #25
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

(nevermind, I misread the email notification of your post Bill)
Old 03-21-07, 02:46 AM   #26
BobbyZero
Mate

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyZero
Oh, so YOU'RE the one
If you mean those twenty hits I added to your site counter, then yes, I am For subsimmers, impatience leads to the dark side, I know...but sometimes I can't help it.

I played around with SoundForge sound editor and I lowered the volume of ping / tuned up BB signature for nukes and diesels, and it worked fine in BB, it really is simple. But I'll wait and see what LoBlo worked out.

And I shall have PATIENCE this time
BobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 08:53 AM   #27
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

MS - Good point as the balance is all important !

But y'know its just nice to bring the 'drums' to the party - adding an extra layer of immersion.
Bit like '16km Atmosphere' doubling the visibility in SH3 Grey Wolves.

But I'm worried this one has 'withered on the vine' - things have gone real quiet !:hmm:

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 09:33 AM   #28
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
I did this a long time ago for SC. So, simple even I could do it:

(1) Unpack all sounds.
(2) Use a batch wave editor to boost the amplitude.
(3) Repack all sounds.
(4) Swap SFX file.

Note: That in early versions of SC maybe up to 1.05, BB was much more pronounced. Then the sound volume dropped substantially with later patches.

However, doing this does change the game. It becomes fairly easy to identify surface ships which might at a distance be confused for a closer sub just by listening to the BB noise.

Probably a good idea not to over do it, since with NB how many lines you get varis and thus, leaves some ambiguity. But the game engine probably always selects the right wave file to play. Thus, if you can hear the wave file, then the whole issue of NB ambiguity is irrelevant.
Yeah, this is the main thing I was worried about and I haven't found a happy medium that I was content with. As I've made it right now, its pretty easy to ID a civillian from a warship from a sub just by the tones in the BB... I don't know if I've overdid it or not... hopefully, it won't represent *too* much of a imbalance in sonar boast.

Quote:

As for the idea, it rocks

Quote:
Any news about this?

I'm very interested in this mod.

Thanks.
Quote:
MS - Good point as the balance is all important !

But y'know its just nice to bring the 'drums' to the party - adding an extra layer of immersion.
Bit like '16km Atmosphere' doubling the visibility in SH3 Grey Wolves.

But I'm worried this one has 'withered on the vine' - things have gone real quiet !:hmm:
Thanks for the interest. Sorry for the delay... it was just me stepping away from gaming for a bit to settle some RL issues (I've sorta got to take an all or nothing approach to gaming whenever I need to concentrate on RL stuff). I've given a zipped up version of the changes to SubGuru, whenever he gets some free time, hopefully it will be available for DL sometime soon.

Whenever it become available and people have a chance to try it, feedback welcome.
Old 03-24-07, 09:51 AM   #29
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Today, fer sure.
Old 03-24-07, 10:20 AM   #30
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

LoBlo,

I cannot remember what amp X coefficient I applied to the SC 1.08 sfx.agg file when I did this. My guidelines were:

However, what I did for balance was ... at normal speaker volume for my use I set the BB sounds that you could hear them when you already have a few lines in NB and decently thick line track in BB. Thus, for a skilled player by this point, you could have ruled out a close sub from a distant cargo ship. In essence, that simply leaves cycling the BB as adding some atomosphere to the game. In regards to the sub BB sounds (especially in SCXIIc), if you can hear the sub wav playing, then if it ain't one of yours, it can only mean that the contact has decided not to fire on you, since it would have IDed and engaged you a long time ago. So, it's all just atomosphere like the flow noise and throbbing of the engine.

Except there is perhaps one place where it does make a play difference. Biologicals ... They create some fairly thick BB lines (similar to ship). However, besides lacking NB lines, they are immediately distinguishable by their BB sound.

I hope that helps.