SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-21, 07:20 PM   #16
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Taiwan’s Silicon Shield Collides with its Silicon Lance

Hi and welcome to this special open to all February 12, 2021 episode of Peter Lee’s China Threat Report.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/open-to-all-with-47482074

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 07:34 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Dont bet that it stays that way, Rockstar. The stories told in your link are the reason why Xi on the last peoples cingress made gaining autarky in their semiconductor production an absolute top one goal of his regime.

Also, all semiconductor production sites in Taiwan are inside range of Chinas missile pool. And tbey have more of these than Taiwan has defences, or the US, to take all incoming vampyres out.

If you can attack with sufficient numbers of missiles, every defence gets flooded and overwhelmed.
Old 03-28-21, 07:56 PM   #18
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Yes, it seems a majority of the world's chip production is in Taiwan. According to that article not only is China spending incredibly large sums ramping up its own lower quality chip manufacturing. Even the U.S. is moving chip manufacturing inside our own borders, as a matter of fact it mentions Texas. I think we're doing it primarily for the reason Taiwan is near a hostile neighbor. If COVID has taught us anything it's that when the feces hits the rotating oscillator a nation needs to be able to produce the tools necessary to protect itself.

Secondly China doesn't have much experience producing quality chips. Everyone else, Taiwan, Japan, U.S., South Korea, E.U. does. That makes a great selling point when you start looking for a new EV to drive around in. Taiwan chip manufactures can't handle it all there needs to be other facilities opened to keep up with the increasing global demand. Might take the heat off Taiwan making them not all that important to China.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-28-21 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 01:59 AM   #19
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
According to that article not only is China spending incredibly large sums ramping up its own lower quality chip manufacturing. [...]
Secondly China doesn't have much experience producing quality chips.
When you look at time spent and needed China is indeed "inferior", it only needed ten years to become almost equal with western products.
Their chips are not of lower quality, some are even better and also cheaper when it comes to Intel i7 level comparisons.
https://versus.com/en/huawei-kirin-9...-core-i7-8650u

Or compare a new Huawei to Apple mobiles, from speed to battery life. They are no far behind. Don't bother whether the basic tech has been copied or stolen, thing is the outcome here.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 05:56 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Huawei's 5G kits are world leading.

My old Huawei smartphone (now used as a Navi exclusively on my ebike) beats the more expensive Samsung phones that since then went through my hands (for my Mum, and myself) by clear margins.

Fenix is a company that has beaten up the price market for LED torchlights. Superb manuifacturing quality, for prices that the multiple timers more expensive US competition and European competition could not long compete with, and had to give ground to. Now all such lights are much cheap, the general price niveau is down.

( I complain about the advertizing and business practices of Chinese traders on Wetsenr platrofmres, however. Often you get straightly lied to your face, information on terms and conditions and locatiosn from which the shipping actually starts, are deceived and kept hidden behind misleading formulations. But Chinese business practices are something Chinese zraders have earned a bad reptuation for in Asia since many centuries already. Be on your guard all the time, and never take a weak position towards their offers, better say No from early on. Personally I have drawn consequences and do not order form anything related to Chinese companies anymore. Too many smelly experiences. Lying is as common as copyright infringement and stealing intellectual property. Thats not just clichées or racist lies - thats simply empirical fact.)

Last edited by Skybird; 03-29-21 at 06:05 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 11:24 AM   #21
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone is going to go to war over Taiwan. Wars will be fought but not with bullets they will be won and lost on the strength of their economy. Russia wasn't kicked out of Afghanistan by a bunch of religious dirt farmers. They pulled out mainly because their own failing economy and internal politics demanded it. We won the cold war but not with tanks and guided missiles. But because capitalism works and we were able to outspend them.

No different than the war the U.S. and China are now fighting. Other than controlling those chip manufactures. I don't think either of us really give a rats arse about Taiwan independence. We place a huge burden on China's economy when we control those Taiwan chip manufactures. Not only do we have the advantage in military experience and hardware. We also have the experience and know how in defeating communism and communist governments without firing a shot.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-29-21 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 12:49 PM   #22
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I don't know how to translate an article in a Danish newspaper, so I go the long way and translate it via google.

Last week the former NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh made following statement in the weekly magazine Lippert:

- If China threatens Taiwan, we must be ready for war -

This scared me.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 01:40 PM   #23
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation in the South China sea

Taiwan has the same right to be regarded as the "real" China as the People's republic mainland dictatorship, question is if Xi Jinping or his non-elected successors would attack it. It would be economical suicide for sure.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 01:52 PM   #24
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation in the South China sea

Taiwan has the same right to be regarded as the "real" China as the People's republic mainland dictatorship, question is if Xi Jinping or his non-elected successors would attack it. It would be economical suicide for sure.
I have been thinking.

China has archieved so much the last 50 years, going from nothing to become a moderne society, they are on the way to be the next leading superpower, why put all this at stake, by attacking Taiwan.

Markus

Old 03-29-21, 01:53 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
It would be economical suicide for sure.
Would it? Damaging, yes. Suicide, no.

Taiwan on the other hand would be economically wiped out in the first hours of the war. The Wets would be more hurt by the destruyction of Taiwan, than China. Because we still depend so heavily on Taiwanese CPU production.

I never was a friend of this globalization madness. Its shortsighted, and stupid, and maximises own vulnerabilities and dependencies.

Gaining autarky is the lesson the West has to learn from the past 20 years. Stopping to make one's future enemies strong.

Lets have a reality check. Merkel in Germany, the still storngest economy of the eU block, rejected reality when leaving nuclear power behind, rejected sens eof realism when channeöling the bioggest mass moivement of known history to Europea nd Germany, and again rejected reality when delaying vaccine shopping for the sake of some higher superidealiustic stupdid reasoning meant to push more powers to the EU. On the other side of the Atlantic there was the recent four years opf attempting to challenge China, and all these challenges, like the sanctionizing of Russia before, led to Bejing changin its political priorities so to boost independence from Wetsern material high tech supplies in the coming years - which will, once they are done,m means China will be stronger than before. In parts it already shows.

No, I am not optimistic that the West will learn autoarky. It instead will carry on to propagate global group psychotherapy with a lot of babbling.
Old 03-29-21, 02:14 PM   #26
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ Skybird, have you taken every factors into the equation ?

What would exactly happen if China do as they has threaten to do - attack Taiwan.

There's always this unknown factor.

Markus

Old 03-29-21, 06:41 PM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

You can read in my link provided what those wargames of theirs showed time and again. Taiwanese air force wiped out very early. Us carriers kept at bay, u s bases under attack throughout the region. And then it depends what they want. A land invasion might command high own losses, but i think they will play their missile card and bomb taiwanese economic targets all over the place.

Its about their numbers of missiles. They can overflood every defence they want.

If they really go seriously after Taiwan and not caring for own losses, i see not that the US can anything do about that. Its not about gaining economic sites. Its about state reason. The renegade must be forced under the yoke or die.
Old 03-29-21, 06:46 PM   #28
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Here's the war we're fighting.
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/coun...e-china-threat

This FBI and National Counterintelligence and Security Center film—inspired by the case of former CIA officer Kevin Mallory—details the fictional account of a former U.S. Intelligence Community official who was targeted by China via a fake profile on a professional networking site and recruited to turn over classified information before being arrested. The FBI and NCSC seek to raise awareness of this issue and help individuals in the private sector, academic and research communities, and other U.S. government agencies guard against this threat posed by foreign intelligence services. More at fbi.gov/nevernight

Old 03-30-21, 09:43 AM   #29
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You can read in my link provided what those wargames of theirs showed time and again. Taiwanese air force wiped out very early. Us carriers kept at bay, u s bases under attack throughout the region. And then it depends what they want. A land invasion might command high own losses, but i think they will play their missile card and bomb taiwanese economic targets all over the place.

Its about their numbers of missiles. They can overflood every defence they want.

If they really go seriously after Taiwan and not caring for own losses, i see not that the US can anything do about that. Its not about gaining economic sites. Its about state reason. The renegade must be forced under the yoke or die.
No doubt that you/they could be right.

There's one factor no-one has put into the equation.

As you mentioned "If they really go seriously after Taiwan and not caring for own losses"
And how about US military's effort or will to defend Taiwan, how high is it ?

Therefore the use of nuke, SHALL not be removed from the equation.

I so truly hope I'm totally wrong.

Markus

Old 06-07-21, 11:19 AM   #30
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
More sobering news, fully supporting my growing scepticism on the US being capable to defend Taiwan. (If they even would be willing to embark seriously on this self-destructive task, which I am not convinced of).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...could-n1262148

Some people think the future by terms from the past (a mistake militaries make time and again: assessing the expected next war by the standards of the last war which they had won), and necessarily conclude that things are okay, kind of.

US alliances and bases throughout Asia will not help it there. It will not last long enough. Plus they will be busy with mere own survial. Just this: mere own survival. And I think quite some will not. China has the means in missiles to just overflood any technologically advanced defence. America is too overconfident.

I agree. The US is not guaranteed South Korea and Japan's support in a conflict with China. Alot of Japanese and South Koreans are more interested in peaceful trade with China, than helping out an aging superpower that they are much more ambivalent about than many Americans imagine.

As far as navies go, alot of the China's fleet is 10-20 years behind the US in terms of technology. But they are catching up rapidly.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote