SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-20, 12:34 PM   #1
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default Mod decision for Cold Waters

All,

I recently returned to Subsim and the genre after an 8 year hiatus. Was in USN submarines, retired in 2018 and am missing the boats so I'm back.

Cold Waters looks like a great title and I plan to buy it as soon as my play money budget allows (a few weeks). The original Microprose Red Storm Rising was almost entirely responsible for my (early) interest in submarines so something like its spiritual successor is a welcome thing to find in my retirement.

My questions are:
1. Which of the mods add the most in terms of realism? I see the Epic mod an the one here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=242342

2. Are there any I've missed?

3. Which mod or mods include a Soviet campaign? I'm a big believer in gaming out both sides of any given conflict if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide?

v/r
feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 01:54 PM   #2
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24

Hello!
I would advice you an Epic mod since it adds most of content and mechanics. I doubt that you'll find wake homing torpedoes, anti-air missilies and torpedoes that are NOT have same lifetime at different speeds, anywhere else) We also have a crew leveling now)
We do have Russian campaign. Also we have a global map and algthough I dislike it, I've changed code to make it round (you can go through map border and appear on the other side) - also feature avaliable only in EM
We're trying to keep a balance between realism and fun gameplay. Also we're following KF approach and many things are customizable through configs, so you can adjust gameplay to your style and liking.
Do not forget to check ingame help (Shift+F1) Info there is a bit outdated, but 90% correct.

On the not-bright side:
- We've cut China out. Map is turned into global map and ships are playing roles of US ships.
- Only partial translation. Thanks to Frank and Rokvam from Steam we have most general texts translated to English, but most texts in campaign are not.

EM is still in development, so new features are added and bugs are being fixed. If you'll need any help with mod, you can write in Steam or here.
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 02:25 PM   #3
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Hi,

There are some interesting mods out there, but note that Cold Waters is not like the Silent Hunter series, CW plays perfectly fine and is fairly realistic out of the box. I would suggest a new player play it stock for a while until you get a feel for the game and what you want to tweak before diving straight into a large mod.

Note there are no Russian/Chinese campaigns in the game, but you can play them in single missions.