SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-20, 04:03 PM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
Default FOTRSU Night Periscope

Switching to the night periscope at night, all I get is a white circle. Is this a known bug?
Old 02-20-20, 04:46 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you sure you don't have a searchlight shining on your there?... - sorry, couldn't pass it up!

But seriously, which boat, where'd you sail from, what are your circumstances? Have you taken any damage? Had you taken any damage previously? Have you looked on the Repair Screen in the Conning Tower to inspect it there?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 06:34 PM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you sure you don't have a searchlight shining on your there?... - sorry, couldn't pass it up!

But seriously, which boat, where'd you sail from, what are your circumstances? Have you taken any damage? Had you taken any damage previously? Have you looked on the Repair Screen in the Conning Tower to inspect it there?
1. I'm in the convoy attack mission at the naval academy.

2. No damage what so ever. Motoring my way to a convoy intercept. Tried using it just after sundown.
Old 02-20-20, 08:59 PM   #4
propbeanie

OK, Porpoise boat, Submarine School. Let's do this first:

I have used the menu buttons below to get to the Observation Periscope station.
I am looking at 000° just after it came up. Notice the lamps on the menu (Commands)
buttons, and notice the color of the gradation lines in the scope.
---------------------------------------------------------

Now the Attack Periscope - similar look, but notice that I have turned the Attack scope
to 180°, and I am seeing the sub's rooster tail. Notice the color of the gradations, and notice
the lights on the menu (Commands) bar below. Notice that I still have the Observation Periscope
up? You can tell by the button lights.
-----------------------------------------------------------

So now, let's say I go to my NavMap view and I lower my Attack Periscope, since I'm not going to use it. I change my course or whatever, and I want to go back to that Observation Periscope view real quick, so I hit the <F3> key (it is a periscope button, after all), and I get this:

Whoops! I'm back at the Attack scope... notice the 180° marking above, and the color of
the gradations? Notice that the Attack scope station button light is lit, not the Observation,
though the Observation scope shows up. Use the <O> ("oh!") key instead (or just use the menu
buttons again) to get to the Observation scope.
-------------------------------------------------------

Is that maybe what the issue is? Or do you maybe have something "whiter"?

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-21-20 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Photo comment lay-out
Old 02-21-20, 10:43 AM   #5
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Got it, thanks! I didn't realize that the observation scope had the 'night' function.
Old 02-21-20, 10:52 AM   #6
propbeanie

Well, it doesn't really. CapnScurvy did make it better for FotRSU though, as compared to the Attack scope, though the differences still are not as pronounced as they were in real life, and you can usually use both without issue at just about any time. As for the buttions, I sometimes, I wish for a "go back to where I was" functionality, but then once I did get used to using short-cut keys, I do prefer it the way it is...

Old 02-22-20, 05:29 PM   #7
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, it doesn't really. CapnScurvy did make it better for FotRSU though, as compared to the Attack scope, though the differences still are not as pronounced as they were in real life, and you can usually use both without issue at just about any time. As for the buttions, I sometimes, I wish for a "go back to where I was" functionality, but then once I did get used to using short-cut keys, I do prefer it the way it is...
Just to comfirm what Pb, has said, I've just played my first hour in-game for several months, and yes the night periscope worked fine... Now did I survive?

Hell no... It was rough seas, north of Manilla, found a task force, due to the the rought weather, i could not get any positive fix so when to silent running... surfaced 1 hour later ingame got bombed by a betty and another task force arrived was insight and bang....
Old 02-22-20, 09:42 PM   #8
propbeanie

I take it then s7rikeback, that all that work on the airplane Loadouts now has the bombs properly dropping near or on-target then?... I've got a couple of early war patrols going. On the one machine, I'm in a Porpoise sent out of Pearl to Einewetok. Uneventful thus far, other than some nearby floatplane reconnaissance flights. The S18 out of Manila through the San Bernardino Strait out into the Philippine Sea north of Samar has been interesting, with Mavis and Petes doing their jobs correctly, and I'm chasing the Cover Force's tail around Lagonoy and Albay Bays, unable to catch them, with airplanes harassing me... oh my, here comes an Akitsuki!... does he have any buddies with him?... - there's just gotta be an invasion force or two nearby somewhere...