SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-20, 10:58 PM   #481
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
I'm thankful for the depth of this mod, period.

If the map contacts are fairly easy to change, I'd be happy. I was hoping that it wouldn't be too difficult (sort of like reversing what RR's EZPlot did for RFB and TMO). This seems more complicated than I thought.
It is slightly complicated, but we'll get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkross View Post
A few months ago I got back into subsims after maybe 7~8 years. I wanted to play SH3. I tried using Grey Wolves mod (on Win7) but gave up after 3 complete installs/uninstall/wipe/reinstall of SH3 and the mod. Finally gave up on that and played it with LSH3, but still had problems simply starting up the game. I had to start with SH3 cmdr, end process with task mgr, and restart cmdr just to play.

So I loaded up SH4, DL'd the FotRSU mod, and installed according to the instructions. Starting out at Pearl Dec 8th '42- the game started without any hiccups, and everything looks great, runs great.

I wanted to thank you for getting this mod right. When I started the game I really expected some kind of glitch (only because of my previous experiences.) Pleasantly surprised with it playing on the first try.
Glad that you like it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Is it possible to combine FOTRS with RSRD? I am mainly interested in having historic battles in my campaign. Or it is not necessary because FOTRS already incorporates the features in RSRD? I am kinda new to FOTRS, so not knowledgeable of all the history.
The "battles" in FotRSU are not quite as numberous as RSRDC, but will run "on time" and with more accurate ships - mostly because FotRSU has a larger roster of ships to pull from. However, RSRDC will not run on top of FotRSU, and would ruin both mods, because of ship-type calls. FotRSU calls several classes of ships with different Names and with different Types, as well as different Classes. The combination will not work. We were looking into maybe converting some aspects, but it is a huge undertaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
First CTD new version.

This might be an Allied plane issue.

Sargo class out of asiatic fleet.
Love the messages and issue of order immediately following completion of the first. Went to north Luzon by way of San Bernadino at first, picked up personnel back at Dock two second, then headed to Java third. Just North of Java spotted a Torro but no way to get a good angle. I noticed a down flyer in the water and rescued him. Looked at the Torro again with Allied planes flying overhead on course for Torro.

Saw a second downed pilot and rescued him. Looked back at Torro no other downed pilots sighted so resumed course for Java new home base.

This is where the CTD happens.

Clean install
LAA
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[X:\FOTRSUNEWEST\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004.a_EN
901_strategic_map_symbols

I suspect this might be an allied air craft issue simply because they were coming from Java. No other help I can give . I had no saves along the way. This was the first mission I tried in the new campaign.
There is a British airplane base at Balipapan until January 1942. Another at Singapore until February 1942, while the one at Surabaya stays until March. All British. None of the Aussie bases can reach that far. There should be no carriers nearby. Java shows to have a squadron of Brewster Buffaloes (USFighter), some "SearchPlanes", a few Whitleys, a squadron of Hurricanes, a squadron of Beaufighters, and a small squadron of KittyHawks, if they got them off the boats OK... Did you happen to sight-ID any of what you saw?

btw, I am in an S-Boat, north of Samar, about to get re-assigned to either a Davao setting, or a Halmahera setting, then sent toward Darwin, and eventually Surabaya, so I'll be in the same neighborhood in a few days.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 03:16 AM   #482
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Yeah, love the fact that FOTRS has much larger ship roster. Btw, how do you stadimeter a light carrier? Last nite, I use the tallest master on a chiyoda, the distance computation is far off. However, when I use the deck on waterline then I come close. Either the master height is wrong or carrier is measured differently?
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 04:24 PM   #483
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is slightly complicated, but we'll get one.

Glad that you like it. Thanks.

The "battles" in FotRSU are not quite as numberous as RSRDC, but will run "on time" and with more accurate ships - mostly because FotRSU has a larger roster of ships to pull from. However, RSRDC will not run on top of FotRSU, and would ruin both mods, because of ship-type calls. FotRSU calls several classes of ships with different Names and with different Types, as well as different Classes. The combination will not work. We were looking into maybe converting some aspects, but it is a huge undertaking.

There is a British airplane base at Balipapan until January 1942. Another at Singapore until February 1942, while the one at Surabaya stays until March. All British. None of the Aussie bases can reach that far. There should be no carriers nearby. Java shows to have a squadron of Brewster Buffaloes (USFighter), some "SearchPlanes", a few Whitleys, a squadron of Hurricanes, a squadron of Beaufighters, and a small squadron of KittyHawks, if they got them off the boats OK... Did you happen to sight-ID any of what you saw?

btw, I am in an S-Boat, north of Samar, about to get re-assigned to either a Davao setting, or a Halmahera setting, then sent toward Darwin, and eventually Surabaya, so I'll be in the same neighborhood in a few days.
Sorry no ID's on plane I did spot. Restarted from the beginning as I had no saves. Have not made it back down there again as yet maybe tonight.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 04:48 PM   #484
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Yeah, love the fact that FOTRS has much larger ship roster. Btw, how do you stadimeter a light carrier? Last nite, I use the tallest master on a chiyoda, the distance computation is far off. However, when I use the deck on waterline then I come close. Either the master height is wrong or carrier is measured differently?
Some of the CV use the flight deck, others use the tower. I "searched" for CapnScurvy's posting on that, but have not found it yet. It might be buried somewhere in a ReadMe...

Quote:
Sorry no ID's on plane I did spot. Restarted from the beginning as I had no saves. Have not made it back down there again as yet maybe tonight.
OK, if you can then, try to visually ID them. If you get the "visible plane" triangle on the NavMap and can click on it, it will usually ID it for you. I'm currently running through building some test missions with the GB airbase planes, and I hope to find something this evening also. If nothing else, I might disregard my career's "orders" and run my S-boat down the Samar coast and head for Soerabaja, Java early myself...

Old 02-24-20, 10:33 PM   #485
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

I completed my first mission, but every time I get close enough to Pearl Harbor to dock and end patrol I get a CTD. If I select Dock- CTD, End Patrol-CTD. Even if I select continue mission the game goes on until I select another station- CTD. I am going to try to dock at Midway tonight and stay away from PH. I just want to finish this first patrol.
I do enjoy the mod and it may not be FotRS causing the CTD. Just wondered if anyone has experienced this.
[EDIT] RESOLVED! I reloaded the Large Address Aware in the SH4 file and checked the box to use more than 2GB in memory. I docked without a CTD and started next patrol.

Last edited by ironkross; 02-25-20 at 01:03 AM.
ironkross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 01:33 AM   #486
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Downloads: 137
Default Bug?

First of all, fantastic mod. Thank you! I may have found a bug, don't know if it's me or the game. I am playing the uboat campaign 1943 out of Batavia. First patrol June 22 1943 @ 15:06 in grid KA9554 after being told to sink 10000 tons of merchant. I spy the Sinclair headed course 324 at 7knts. I sink her with 1- IIg7e and 1-IIIg7e from 700yds 60°aob. She blows up with the first hit but immediately turns a green and red camo color, loses all detail, second hit she breaks in half and sinks. About the time she hits the ocean floor the games crashes.
Talvezny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 03:32 AM   #487
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Some of the CV use the flight deck, others use the tower...

Really don't like people who play with map updates off, eh? I can ping a lone freighter, but not a war ship in a task force. If stadimeter not reliable, just have to miss a whole lot until I get surface to surface radar and then spend a long time calculating course and speed. Sad.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 01:41 PM   #488
propbeanie

Map contacts on or off, no matter. With map contacts off, I hit my sonar man to report the nearest contact, and the visual the same way, so that when the periscope goes up, I know where to look quicker. What I have found, even with a known-good mast height - of which, most of the ships in FotRSU have that - that where I place the scope in relation to the ship, and where I put the stadimeter in relation to that known-good measurement, has more influence on my "range" finding than anything else. With a Large Composite at 5500 yards away (known from doing map contacts on in another run on the same mission), my stadimeter reading will be anywhere from 4950 to 6200 yards. This is a mission with calms seas and calm winds, the ship on a known 090° course, and my boat on a known 000° course, driving a Porpoise 1st January, 1943. What I did find though, was that if I instead measured a couple of times consistently with the stack, I actually got more consistent results, though usually a little long, but never short. Measuring the angle on the bow and speed were slightly wilder, and knowing how fast the ship was going made confirmation much easier of course. I cannot find my "Measuring Stick", which was a little thing that the GWX devs made, but I'm going to guess that the 22.5m height of the NKLCS_Nagara might be a few feet tall, but of the three times I did shoot at it, the first time I was out in front with two, hit with two, one dud. The second was hit with three, all from the stack back and missed with the 3th, behind, no duds. Hit with 3, nice spread across the ship... all four detonated, but again, my biggest problem in this test was this:

and

another circle runner... both of us sank... - don't forget now, there is a "ShipsData.pdf" file in the Support folder that has info on the ships in a spreadsheet.

I was shooting from about 1700 yards, and I usually try to get closer to the 1000 to 1200 yards mark, of which I would have definitely had more hits, and maybe no circle runners...

Old 02-25-20, 05:02 PM   #489
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Map contacts on or off, no matter. With map contacts off, I hit my sonar man to report the nearest contact, and the visual the same way, so that when the periscope goes up, I know where to look quicker. What I have found, even with a known-good mast height - of which, most of the ships in FotRSU have that - that where I place the scope in relation to the ship, and where I put the stadimeter in relation to that known-good measurement, has more influence on my "range" finding than anything else. With a Large Composite at 5500 yards away (known from doing map contacts on in another run on the same mission), my stadimeter reading will be anywhere from 4950 to 6200 yards. This is a mission with calms seas and calm winds, the ship on a known 090° course, and my boat on a known 000° course, driving a Porpoise 1st January, 1943. What I did find though, was that if I instead measured a couple of times consistently with the stack, I actually got more consistent results, though usually a little long, but never short. Measuring the angle on the bow and speed were slightly wilder, and knowing how fast the ship was going made confirmation much easier of course. I cannot find my "Measuring Stick", which was a little thing that the GWX devs made, but I'm going to guess that the 22.5m height of the NKLCS_Nagara might be a few feet tall, but of the three times I did shoot at it, the first time I was out in front with two, hit with two, one dud. The second was hit with three, all from the stack back and missed with the 3th, behind, no duds. Hit with 3, nice spread across the ship... all four detonated, but again, my biggest problem in this test was this:

and

another circle runner... both of us sank... - don't forget now, there is a "ShipsData.pdf" file in the Support folder that has info on the ships in a spreadsheet.

I was shooting from about 1700 yards, and I usually try to get closer to the 1000 to 1200 yards mark, of which I would have definitely had more hits, and maybe no circle runners...
Isn't it true that extreme angles, (anything over 45-60 degrees) produce more chances of circle runners?

I got hit yesterday twice within an hour in the stern by IJN fish from DD's ... 85% damage to hull, minor damage to stern tubes no casualties. They even accidentally fished their own CV coming after me. Visually their fish did little damage to the CV. Far less than my MK 14's.

QUESTION:

Why did the MOD devs make the MK 14 renown cost zero but the MK 10 250 renown EACH!?!?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-25-20, 05:04 PM   #490
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:

and

Isn't it true that extreme angles, (anything over 45-60 degrees) produce more chances of circle runners?

I got hit yesterday twice within an hour in the stern by IJN fish from DD's ... 85% damage to hull, minor damage to stern tubes no casualties. They even accidentally fished their own CV coming after me. Visually their fish did little damage to the CV. Far less than my MK 14's.

QUESTION:

Why did the MOD devs make the MK 14 renown cost zero but the MK 10 250 renown EACH!?!?

I cam across a TASK FORCE NE of Surabaya. It had a Menaki DD with its hull keel level with the water. Way to high to hit with a fish.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-25-20, 05:10 PM   #491
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Map contacts on or off, no matter. With map contacts off, I hit my sonar man to report the nearest contact, and the visual the same way, so that when the periscope goes up, I know where to look quicker. What I have found, even with a known-good mast height - of which, most of the ships in FotRSU have that - that where I place the scope in relation to the ship, and where I put the stadimeter in relation to that known-good measurement, has more influence on my "range" finding than anything else. With a Large Composite at 5500 yards away (known from doing map contacts on in another run on the same mission), my stadimeter reading will be anywhere from 4950 to 6200 yards. This is a mission with calms seas and calm winds, the ship on a known 090° course, and my boat on a known 000° course, driving a Porpoise 1st January, 1943. What I did find though, was that if I instead measured a couple of times consistently with the stack, I actually got more consistent results, though usually a little long, but never short. Measuring the angle on the bow and speed were slightly wilder, and knowing how fast the ship was going made confirmation much easier of course. I cannot find my "Measuring Stick", which was a little thing that the GWX devs made, but I'm going to guess that the 22.5m height of the NKLCS_Nagara might be a few feet tall, but of the three times I did shoot at it, the first time I was out in front with two, hit with two, one dud. The second was hit with three, all from the stack back and missed with the 3th, behind, no duds. Hit with 3, nice spread across the ship... all four detonated

Similar. If a known ship mast height in convoy, I take a couple stadimeter readings on said ship to get course and speed. I then set up a constant bearing attack and attack any ship that crosses my cross hair. Works great for convoys. With task forces with many escorts (cannot use active sonar) and uncertain mast heights (RFB), this does not work. I guestimate course and speed and try to move into position for constant bearing attack with wide spread from estimated range of 1000 yards or less. Still get hits, but not so many.

If I spot a task force at a goodly distance (RFB), I try to match course and adjust speed till bearing is constant. From this estimate of course and speed, I then do an end run, move into position and set up constant bearing attack. Works, but takes a long time.

If you can assure that only carriers have faulty mast heights, can adjust. Haven't actually run into a task force in FORTS, yet.
Old 02-25-20, 05:49 PM   #492
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Haven't actually run into a task force in FORTS, yet.
Odd. I couldn't count the number of CV, BB and CA I have sank in task forces. I once came back with over half a million tonnes from finding so many. I just kept hitting a local supply depot for fish and going back and there they would be. It was like sweet spawn of satan over and over for them as I sank so so many.

Jan 42 North East of Surabaya. Sargo class. Used all but one fish. Just hit a Kongo, Maya, and Taiyō. All sank. One IJN DD sank due to the other DD's firing fish at me. Fun watching those fish underwater through the periscope sail over the main deck. The engagement lasted about 5 hours.

The Task Force are out there Michael ... sometimes it is knowing where to look and sometimes like this case just pure luck. What I will tell you I do every time is write down where I find them. Place, date and time. This particular one is 116.17 by 6.85 around 1200-1400, Jan 21 1942

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 02-25-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 09:02 PM   #493
propbeanie

Quote:

QUESTION:

I cam across a TASK FORCE NE of Surabaya. It had a Menaki DD with its hull keel level with the water. Way to high to hit with a fish.
Yes, the more of an angle, the more chance of a circle-runner. In this case, at the time of shooting, we're talking 12°, so I wasn't at all concerned about a circle-runner. However, I was once I couldn't find the torp on the F6 Attack Screen... sigh. Too late by then...

As to the cost of renown for the Mk10, that only happens when you are in a fleet boat after January 1942, and it's been discovered that the Mk 14 might not be doing so well... The S-boats get the Mk10s for "free".

do you happen to know what date you saw that Menaki?? Any other ships you remember in the grouping? I can try and chase them down and maybe find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Similar. If a known ship mast height in convoy, I take a couple stadimeter readings on said ship to get course and speed. I then set up a constant bearing attack and attack any ship that crosses my cross hair. Works great for convoys. With task forces with many escorts (cannot use active sonar) and uncertain mast heights (RFB), this does not work. I guestimate course and speed and try to move into position for constant bearing attack with wide spread from estimated range of 1000 yards or less. Still get hits, but not so many.

If I spot a task force at a goodly distance (RFB), I try to match course and adjust speed till bearing is constant. From this estimate of course and speed, I then do an end run, move into position and set up constant bearing attack. Works, but takes a long time.

If you can assure that only carriers have faulty mast heights, can adjust. Haven't actually run into a task force in FORTS, yet.
I cannot guarantee ~any~ ship's mast height accuracy. For all I know, they could all be off. Not exactly the easiest thing to check. The part that gets me though, is I was noticing a huge difference in the calculated range when using the same spot multiple times in a row, and from what I can tell, when you are at what I'll call a "boundary" point in the game's 3D rendering, where you'll go from a 2 pixel jump with the stadimeter image, to a 1 pixel jump spot (I'm going by the "clicks" I hear while moving it), that's where I find the biggest jumps in "accuracy" (or the lack thereof). Still though, how close you are when shooting and how fast the target is versus the torp speed is the biggest difference in my accuracy. I will sometimes just do my own artwork, based on the crew's reports, and try to use the periscope gradients, which CapnScurvy has assured us are accurate on all of the boats. Sometimes I'm close, sometimes not... sometimes, using the stadimeter and some artwork and I'm really close, sometimes not. Sometimes, shooting from the hip on a fast 90 is the easiest / best, or similarly, the 45° attack.

Quote:
The Task Force are out there Michael ... sometimes it is knowing where to look and sometimes like this case just pure luck. What I will tell you I do every time is write down where I find them. Place, date and time. This particular one is 116.17 by 6.85 around 1200-1400, Jan 21 1942
Now, on a Save, that methodology will work, but from one career to the next, sometimes not so much. Most of the Task Forces and other traffic are set to spawn maybe 1/3rd of the time, sometimes they don't even hit a 10% mark. Most of the "Battle" scenes though do have near-100% participation... I have not gotten to my S-18 career today, so I am still up north of Samar, trying to catch ~something~ ~anything~ (besides the airplanes)... - and have not gotten down toward the Java area to check on your airplanes from earlier yet...

Old 02-25-20, 09:38 PM   #494
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
I cannot guarantee ~any~ ship's mast height accuracy.

Okay. Sounds like I will have to tolerate existing masts. Ya know, one of the good things about ISP version 2.8 are the flags. The author put accurate flags on the tallest ship masts. These were good because they were more than one pixel wide. They provide a dependable aiming point which does not grow and shrink as do the digital masts at ranges where they are only one or two pixels wide. I trust the aiming flags in ISP 2.8. Don't always hit, but can trust stadimeter. RFB mast heights came form the ONI handbooks, much of the data in which were wrong. Not much chance you could redraw ships to included aiming flag, though it would be nice.
Old 02-26-20, 06:19 AM   #495
NeonsStyle
Chief

Downloads: 187

The one thing that peeves me on every mega mod, is most of them
assume you know what it does. I have FOTR, and TMO and the Documentation never mentions what these mods do. It's not very conducive to downloading. there's lots of instructions on using them (though that's not hard).

If you have a mega mod, just describe what it does at the very beginning of your post.

Hit me up in the Comments or Discussion on my channel or message me on:

NeonsStyle is offline   Reply With Quote