SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-20, 06:04 PM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
Default Installing FotRSU

I've read a number of tips, how to's etc. on how to get FotRSU v1.0.1g EN installed and I'm finding myself kind of lost...

1. I'm using the Steam version of SH4 and SH4 uboat missions and they're installed in the default Steam directory. Will FotRSU run from there or do I need to move them to another directory such as C:\Games\SH4? I've read that they'll work either way.

2. Do I just decompress the 7z file into the SH4 root directory and overwrite the existing Data, etc. files then install JSGME in the SH4 root?

3. My o/s is Windows 7 64 Home Edition. Do I need to use the Large Address Aware applet since my o/s is 64 bit and shouldn't have any problem with long address?

I've been using Linux for the last 12 years and I'm finding myself lost in the Windows world.......

Thanks in advance...

My System:
Intel G630 Duo 2.7Ghz
8 gig RAM
Win 7 64bit Home Premium SP1
Nvidia Geforce 710 2Gig memory
HDD: 80gig partition that's dedicated to SH4
Macgregor the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 06:47 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

#1. No - do NOT install in the default directory. That will put you in the Program Files (x86) folder, which is "protected" by Windows.
#2. No - Use JSGME
#3. Yes you need LAA. The app needs to have the header's bits flipped to tell Windows it can write to more than 2 gig

Read the first page of the thread for FotRSU:

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - Full Release

There are installation and activation pointers in the first post there, and after you extract the mod to the MODS folder, you can see all sorts of "Help" pdf info in the Support folder, including "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf" and "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf", along with other useful (sometimes boring) info.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 08:20 PM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

I finally got FotRSU installed and everything looked good. First attempt to run I received "Application Load Error 2:0000065558"

Per instruction, I moved my Steam files to a directory I created C:\Games\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific to get it out of the 'protected' x86 directory. I wonder if Steam is having a problem with the move.

Anyone know if there's a work around?
Old 01-09-20, 10:10 PM   #4
propbeanie

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

Old 01-10-20, 08:33 PM   #5
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Default The Final Report

First, I want to thank Propbeanie and Theburbster for their help!

I have FotRSU up and running! Took a little bit, but we learn from our mistakes. I'm using Steam and what I tried first was just moving SH4 the C: root drive. Crash. I should have known that Steam has to have a path to the software. I was referred to the document on how to change directories through Steam. It turned out that Steam only allows one directory per drive so I was stuck with Program Files (x86). What I needed was another partition. I didn't have enough room to divide up my Win 7 partition, so I dug into my computer parts box and found an old WD 250gig SATA drive. If I have computer components that work, I keep them. In my box, I have AGP and VESA Local Bus video cards, ancient mobo's and even a 5 1/4" floppy drive, that's how old it is. I installed the HDD and now I have an extra 100gig for games and more importantly, a different drive to install Steam games on. I changed the Steam default drive to G:\Games. Steam installed without a hitch as did FotRSU. JSGME found the mod and I knew it was installed correctly when I saw the nested mods in the FotRSU appear. I converted the executables with LAA and started the sim. I'm still oooooing and aaaaahhhing with the graphics. The mod was well worth the headaches it took to get here. My only concern is that the periscope and any other round shape are kind of oval running at 1920x1080. I've tried other 16:9 ratios and they show the same. Maybe I'll just run in window mode. I would loose a quarter inch on each side, but it would be worth it to have the symmetry.

A hearty Bravo Zulu to the FotRSU team for a unbelievable mod!!!

Macgregor out=====
Old 01-11-20, 10:47 AM   #6
propbeanie

With the 'oval' shaped stuff, that usually is indicative of an improper video stream set-up somewhere along the line. Analog CRTs it usually doesn't matter, except the ratio, such as with 4:3, 5:3 or widescreen. Match that. With LCD screens, find out what your monitor's "Native" resolution is. Windows will usually show the monitor's native as "recommended". So my monitor does 1920x1080 at 60Hz. That is what I have Windows set to. Another monitor of mine is 1280x1024 for a 5:4 resolution, so that is set-up that way. Then, in the game, choose the same resolution, and you should be good to go. By default, the game runs at 1024x768, which is 4:3 and will distort your scopes and dials... "Options" on the main menu, "Graphic Settings", then "Game Resolution" drop-down. Click "Apply changes", you'll get a 'Are you sure?', then "Yes", and exit all of the way out of the game for the settings changes to take effect. Re-start, and you should be "even" on the circles, and your crew should also be proportioned more like humans...

Old 01-12-20, 01:38 PM   #7
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
With the 'oval' shaped stuff, that usually is indicative of an improper video stream set-up somewhere along the line. Analog CRTs it usually doesn't matter, except the ratio, such as with 4:3, 5:3 or widescreen. Match that. With LCD screens, find out what your monitor's "Native" resolution is. Windows will usually show the monitor's native as "recommended". So my monitor does 1920x1080 at 60Hz. That is what I have Windows set to. Another monitor of mine is 1280x1024 for a 5:4 resolution, so that is set-up that way. Then, in the game, choose the same resolution, and you should be good to go. By default, the game runs at 1024x768, which is 4:3 and will distort your scopes and dials... "Options" on the main menu, "Graphic Settings", then "Game Resolution" drop-down. Click "Apply changes", you'll get a 'Are you sure?', then "Yes", and exit all of the way out of the game for the settings changes to take effect. Re-start, and you should be "even" on the circles, and your crew should also be proportioned more like humans...
I used Nvidia's control panel and tweaked the display parameters for 1920x1080. I also changed the driver attributes per Rubini. Note: Nhancer doesn't work on drivers after rev. 257.xx. I found another app that does the same thing called nVidia Profiler. The game play was beautiful without the tweaks and now it's absolutely gorgeous! All the small 'jaggies' are gone by changing AA to x8, increasing particle density and some of the other tweaks has improved 3d feel and depth of texture. I foresee myself spending a lot of time at sea!

MacGregor out-----
Old 01-21-20, 05:57 PM   #8
Blitzen Trap
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Curious Question...

i have the Steam version of the game and I have it installed in the default directory (Program Files x86). I see that you are not supposed to install the game there, but I seem to be able to run the mod with no issue.

Should I do a reinstall in with a different directory?
Blitzen Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 08:37 PM   #9
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen Trap View Post
Curious Question...

i have the Steam version of the game and I have it installed in the default directory (Program Files x86). I see that you are not supposed to install the game there, but I seem to be able to run the mod with no issue.

Should I do a reinstall in with a different directory?

As long as you can run the game with no problems don't change anything. If you start running into problems then uninstall and reinstall the game.

BTW, Blitzen Trap, welcome to SubSim, happy to have you aboard.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 09:04 PM   #10
Blitzen Trap
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
As long as you can run the game with no problems don't change anything. If you start running into problems then uninstall and reinstall the game.

BTW, Blitzen Trap, welcome to SubSim, happy to have you aboard.
Thak you sir! Happy to be here!
Blitzen Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 10:35 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Blitzen Trap!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 07:36 AM   #12
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Welcome to Subsim
Old 01-07-21, 10:20 AM   #13
propbeanie

You nutty squirrel!!!

Old 02-23-21, 02:57 PM   #14
jgbraswell
Nub

Downloads: 12

Just got SH4 on Steam and have enjoyed the generic game. I just downloaded FOTRSU from Subsim, but I get get past the load screen (the red bar fills up but just freezes). I have Windows 10 and a pretty good computer. Any ideas to get it running?
Thanks!!!
jgbraswell is offline   Reply With Quote