SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-20, 01:56 PM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default Both periscopes useless ... do I go back to base?

I started with the simple mission "Battle of the Philippine Sea" in 1944. I ran into a Japanese task force, and managed to get close enough to fire four torpedoes at a 30,000 ton aircraft carrier. Two hit the target and it sank, but I was surrounded by enemy warships and despite having raised the periscope only long enough to aim and shoot, they hit me with everything and both periscopes were useless. This repair apparently cannot be carried out on board, so the most reasonable thing would be to go to the nearest base to make repairs. Midway maybe? I appreciate your comments and opinions dear friends.
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 02:04 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
I started with the simple mission "Battle of the Philippine Sea" in 1944. I ran into a Japanese task force, and managed to get close enough to fire four torpedoes at a 30,000 ton aircraft carrier. Two hit the target and it sank, but I was surrounded by enemy warships and despite having raised the periscope only long enough to aim and shoot, they hit me with everything and both periscopes were useless. This repair apparently cannot be carried out on board, so the most reasonable thing would be to go to the nearest base to make repairs. Midway maybe? I appreciate your comments and opinions dear friends.
you are correct.
however, some repairs that are performed without ending a patrol will NOT restore equipment to working order.
the only way to know which equipment is affected is to have it happen, go to a repair base for repairs and discover that the equipment is still not usable.
for example, not long ago in TMO, we took some damage to the forward torpedo room and tubes. my valiant crew repaired the damage such that all tubes showed repaired on the status board. then we went back into attack the next ship/convoy only to find out that all six tubes were out of order. so we broke off the attack, sailed to the nearest repair base, refitted/repaired and went back into battle however none of the six tubes would operate. we had to return to base and end the patrol in order to fully repair the damages.

so, be prepared for some unexpected outcomes while you are out on patrol. is that "real" enough?
good luck! and good hunting!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 05:17 PM   #3
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you are correct.
however, some repairs that are performed without ending a patrol will NOT restore equipment to working order.
the only way to know which equipment is affected is to have it happen, go to a repair base for repairs and discover that the equipment is still not usable.
for example, not long ago in TMO, we took some damage to the forward torpedo room and tubes. my valiant crew repaired the damage such that all tubes showed repaired on the status board. then we went back into attack the next ship/convoy only to find out that all six tubes were out of order. so we broke off the attack, sailed to the nearest repair base, refitted/repaired and went back into battle however none of the six tubes would operate. we had to return to base and end the patrol in order to fully repair the damages.

so, be prepared for some unexpected outcomes while you are out on patrol. is that "real" enough?
That's not really "real"... In real life, the forward repair base would have told you that you needed more, maybe yard time, and you would have then sailed back to base without going back into battle to discover that the tubes were still not functional. SH4 is a little deficient in that regard. However, this could be accounted for with some timely saves at the repair base and then revert to it, to sail back to home port, something I normally don't like to do, BUT, when something rather silly like this occurs, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 08:30 PM   #4
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hello Kaleunmarco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you are correct.

Thank you for your timely response. From what you count it seems that this game sometimes does its thing with the players! As for being prepared for anything, I live in Argentina and here you have to be prepared for everything! Hahaha!
Old 10-26-20, 08:37 PM   #5
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hi Gray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
That's not really "real"... In real life, the forward repair base would have told you that you needed more, maybe yard time, and you would have then sailed back to base without going back into battle to discover that the tubes were still not functional. SH4 is a little deficient in that regard. However, this could be accounted for with some timely saves at the repair base and then revert to it, to sail back to home port, something I normally don't like to do, BUT, when something rather silly like this occurs, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I imagine this game will make you angry at times because of its unpredictable and irrational reactions. The "japs" left me blind, but at least I will not return empty-handed, I sank an aircraft carrier, the first in my case! In another mission, I suddenly appeared in a battle between the two fleets, friend and enemy, they were shooting with everything and there were even planes attacking. As the old saying goes "fishermen win a troubled river", while they fought among themselves I sank five warships! (2 battleships, 1 heavy cruiser and 2 destroyers) and I left there as calmly as possible. Being so new to this, I can't believe that result hahaha!
Old 11-02-20, 12:27 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

On a positive note, you still have the TBT. So you can do night surface attacks.

Yeah, probably best to return home if the forward repairbase can't fix it.