Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-20, 10:23 PM   #1
CaptainSvenski
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
radar TWoS AI wolfpacks?

Has anyone gotten them to ever do something?

I found a convoy in the dead of night on my way back to refit, I had only one torpedo in the ass tube and thought this is the perfect moment to test out that feature.

Sent a contact report and a while later BDU told me to maintain contact and that other subs in the area are coming. A while later 3 subs informed me they have made contact with the convoy and will attack. I even managed to spot one of them.

But they never did anything. All night I followed the convoy but not a single ship went up. When morning was close I just used my ass tube to sink one ship and just broke off.

Has anyone actually been witness to an AI sub sinking a ship?
CaptainSvenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-20, 04:34 PM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSvenski View Post
Not in campaign, but in my single mission test scenario AI subs did sink a ship. They are able to launch torpedoes, but don't seem great at aiming (in said scenario, 2 subs launched full salvos at a convoy scoring just 1 kill).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-20, 06:34 PM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSvenski View Post
Has anyone gotten them to ever do something?

I found a convoy in the dead of night on my way back to refit, I had only one torpedo in the ass tube and thought this is the perfect moment to test out that feature.

Sent a contact report and a while later BDU told me to maintain contact and that other subs in the area are coming. A while later 3 subs informed me they have made contact with the convoy and will attack. I even managed to spot one of them.

But they never did anything. All night I followed the convoy but not a single ship went up. When morning was close I just used my ass tube to sink one ship and just broke off.

As told by Kapuhy, yes, and in campaign too, but they are f....king rookies, and attack and miss a lot. Probably your comrades attacked the convoy, but missed all. If you are managing the hydroprone station, you can hear their engines and the torpedoes launched. I don't know if the AI boats have a hierarchy (rookie, ace, elite, etc.), and I had bad luck and BdU sent me the rookiest Kaleuns of the KM

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 06:12 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

On the other hand, I've been reading Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat war" recently, and an awful lot of wolfpack attack accounts are along the lines of something like this:

"Out of six boats in contact with convoy, three were able to get into position to launch torpedoes. They claimed total of seven ships sunk, but in reality only one ship was sunk and another was damaged and reached port."

So... pretty realistic.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote