SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-20, 12:41 PM   #16
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

A little feed back:

Went to our local computer store and had a chat with one of the ownes.

Asked if they could fix my laptop even if it meant take it back to starting point
He said they could try, but he think my laptop have taken its last breath.

Asked him what type of computer they have
He asked me what I do most with my computers
I play game in 70-80 % of the time my computer is on.
and there are some games I would love to play, but those demands a good cpu and a strong graphic card.
Then he said(and did I wish you were there-so you could hear it youself)
(danish first)
Så er vi over i gaming afdelingen
(English)
Then we are in the gaming section

A good gaming computer for laptop cost about 16-17.0000 Danish kroner.
Said I wanted a stationary
Then he gave me a paper, where I could pick which type of computer I wanted and what type of monitor I wanted.
Price for this computer + monitor =8.400 Danish kroner

From memory
I4. 8 GB(Ram) 240 GB(SSD HDD)AMD Ryzen 1060G 6 GB VRAM
(Now some of you are likely to tell me this is no good hardware stuff)

The parts will arrive on monday, then they build my computer and test it in 48 hours
So Thursday or Friday next week I can get my new computer.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 12:59 PM   #17
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I4. 8 GB(Ram) 240 GB(SSD HDD)AMD Ryzen 1060G 6 GB VRAM
(Now some of you are likely to tell me this is no good hardware stuff)
Why? It sounds like you already owe me a beer.
Saving almost 10K is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

The parts will arrive on monday, then they build my computer and test it in 48 hours
So Thursday or Friday next week I can get my new computer.

Markus

Plus, if anything does go wrong after he sets it up and tests it, you know who to call.

Sounds like ya done good.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 01:20 PM   #18
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Maybe I could have got it cheaper online.
The positive by buying it local is, in case of problems I can take the bus to the computer store with my computer and talk to them face to face.
Which is much much better.

If we ever should meet, I will gladly give you a beer or two or three.

I'm trying to make a fresh install of Win10. Are not making any hopes.

Markus
Old 01-02-20, 01:30 PM   #19
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Think of it like a 5 to 10 year capital purchase.

What will you get out of it over its lifetime vs what you paid?
Plus, you got to stay within your comfort zone and you have somewhere to take it if problems arise.

Imagine if we were trying to tell you how to build the freaking thing??

Your mission now is to find a good chair.
Old 01-02-20, 02:17 PM   #20
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

It's not only because of the price I picked a stationary.
I did it due to future opgrades of some of my hardwares.
The owner I talked with said then I should have a maxi tower.

Next time I'm in the store I will ask if they have some kind of hardware security...like some little key to the power supply or fingerprints(not the correct word)
It's to heavy to carrying around, when on vacation. So I need some extra things to protect in case it get stolen.

Yes my next project is to find a good chair.

Markus
Old 01-02-20, 03:28 PM   #21
ET2SN
ET2/SS

BTW, don't laugh.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pr...s%2C464&sr=8-1

This joystick has been my "go to" for over ten years. There are enough buttons to get you in trouble, its dirt cheap (I have two of them so I can switch out if needed), and it does the job without taking over your house (it needs less of a footprint than a mouse).

They don't wear out but some buttons (and the rudder sensor) may work loose over time and best of all, its fix-able (once you learn two tricks to putting the hand grip back together).

Old 01-02-20, 04:49 PM   #22
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

The keyboard and mouse I have are very cheap. I think the mouse costed 79 Danish kroner and the keyboard under 100 Danish kroner.

I do remember the last joystick I had to some of my flight games. Cheap and simple with a few buttons(used rest of the key from my keyboard)

Now I can place an order on some of the game I really want to play, which my computer I have now can't pull

1. Eurotruck
2. American trucking(can't remember exact name of this game)
3. Far Cry 5
4. This western game.
5 The latest Call of Duty game.
6. And some good flight sim(need a good and cheap joystick to this)

Markus
Old 01-02-20, 05:07 PM   #23
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Keyboards are like girlfriends, once you get used to them they become hard to replace.

I found a nice "old man" keyboard from Azio with lit keys. They're cheap but the switches are good, the only downside is the key caps tend to be cheap and the paint wears off.

I never got used to mice, I always use a track ball. Logitech makes a fairly nice and cheap wireless one. They tend to last for a couple of years of daily use before the switches fail.
Old 01-03-20, 12:22 AM   #24
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

ET2SN - Nothing wrong with that joystick, been using mine since 2013.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 06:45 PM   #25
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Following the various posts here I'd like to add my bit for what its worth

Unless you need something that is portable for work etc its way better to get a desktop they have so many advantages over a laptop here are a few reasons why

* Far easier to upgrade with new components

*If the screen goes on a laptop they are almost certainly uneconomic to repair

*Cooling solutions are generally more effective

*Gaming laptops in most instances offer less bang per buck

*The larger case of desktop affords greater flexibility and options of components and expansion

or build you own with things like modular power supplies easy to fit GPU's ram etc its easier than ever. Just avoid unknown brands. With motherboards I generally agree that spending a lot is not always necessary ASUS Gigabyte are fine MSI mostly use Japanese transistors which are considered the best or they used to at least

Going back a few posts post I don't agree that most PC components are built to the same standards you get what you pay for in most instances. Quality components and form factors are 2 totally different things. I think@ Skybird has that pretty much covered there tho. I would like to add a little point about RAM apart from testing issues. Choosing the amount of RAM you need is easy to work out you simply run out of it when its used up and its fairly obvious when that happens and the system starts using the hard drive or less so SSD instead. So if you never use more than 8GB of RAM adding more wont make any difference

Still sticking with the original post which I'm struggling to understand why would you put a fanless GPU into an Intel i3 system if such a thing still exist even budget GPU's have had fans for over a decade. The intel graphics embedded in the CPU would be more powerful or the chipset on the motherboard on older PC's

If you want to play modern triple A titles you do need to spend a fair amount maybe without RGB lighting but what needs to be understood is some see it almost as an art form an expression of individualism, knocking it for knocking its sake seems a little short sighted same thing with *gaming computers* which by definition are just PC's which are primarily designed from gaming. They have their place in the computing world just as office PC's and old potato PCs for that matter

Last edited by Cyborg322; 01-03-20 at 07:22 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 05:49 AM   #26
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
Still sticking with the original post which I'm struggling to understand why would you put a fanless GPU into an Intel i3 system if such a thing still exist even budget GPU's have had fans for over a decade.
I didn't need a GPU for performance, I was already getting what I wanted from the CPU. I wanted some display options the CPU didn't provide. I also wanted the system to run based on a 5-10 year "daily driver" work load where I wasn't swapping out parts every two years. The GPU I'm running doesn't have a fan because it doesn't need it. That told me it didn't generate a lot of heat with the added benefit of taking it easy on the power supply. Again, I was aiming for durability and long-life with this set up with an eye towards my budget.

Way back when (this quest is older than this thread), Mapuc said he needed to replace his lap top without breaking the bank and I got the feeling that posting eight paragraphs of tech babble with the appropriate charts and graphs wasn't going to be helpful. So, I'm trying to condense my replies as much as I can to keep the info easier to understand.

You can trust me if you want. I'm a 1986 alum of the U Maine school of engineering/tech with practical experience as a Navy ET on two subs and field engineer experience with companies like Kodak in some tough markets.

Or not, that wasn't why I wanted to help Mapuc. Those were just tools I could use.

Old 01-05-20, 04:17 PM   #27
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I didn't need a GPU for performance, I was already getting what I wanted from the CPU. I wanted some display options the CPU didn't provide. I also wanted the system to run based on a 5-10 year "daily driver" work load where I wasn't swapping out parts every two years. The GPU I'm running doesn't have a fan because it doesn't need it. That told me it didn't generate a lot of heat with the added benefit of taking it easy on the power supply. Again, I was aiming for durability and long-life with this set up with an eye towards my budget.

Way back when (this quest is older than this thread), Mapuc said he needed to replace his lap top without breaking the bank and I got the feeling that posting eight paragraphs of tech babble with the appropriate charts and graphs wasn't going to be helpful. So, I'm trying to condense my replies as much as I can to keep the info easier to understand.

You can trust me if you want. I'm a 1986 alum of the U Maine school of engineering/tech with practical experience as a Navy ET on two subs and field engineer experience with companies like Kodak in some tough markets.

Or not, that wasn't why I wanted to help Mapuc. Those were just tools I could use.

Hello Mr ET2SN

Since my last post I looked up passive cooled GPU's and was surprised there was some on the market some have very big heatsinks to keep things cool . They would cost around the $40 as you say the specs are not bad v cost and since you don't appear to been having driver problems or artifacts they must cool adequately. If it works ok for your needs that's fine. Personally I would swap it for a GTX1050 or it's AMD equivalent they are not to pricey and would unlikely bottleneck an i3 even then you would be in the low graphics settings range for most modern titles. Without knowing exactly what you have it impossible to say have much benefit it would give you.

Typing dxdiag in the search box would tell you with windows 10 what your system is made up of or better still using GPU Z utility. I was just curious more than anything as to what you have and the advice you were given. As to Mapuc he's gone for a mid'ish range PC which can handle most games with 6GB of VRAM which is important as games are becoming more and more dependant on higher dedicated video memory it should be future proof for many years. Not a bad option in my opinion and would easily qualify as a gaming PC. As to prebuilt PCs off the shelf like HP and Dell etc I would not recommend to anyone they are built cheaply with low rated power supplies etc and overall can work out more expensive to upgrade.

I spent a lot of time choosing parts for my build which is now 7 years old and had a lot of upgrades over time its worked out very well and still keeping up with AAA's on high there are some components that you really should not go cheap on such as PSU's and there is a definite scale as to what to spend your hard earned $$$$ on at the opposite scale even very cheap Motherboards
do the job. This is really important if you are wanting to give anyone advice on PC builds. Which I have a lot of experience with.

MY Specs if anyone's interested [ prolly not ]

Intel i5 3570k OC to 4.5GHZ Coolermaster HS Copper Heatpipe 120mm fan

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Vram swapped for a Zotac GTX 660 originally

HyperX 250GB SSD
Western Digital HDD 2 x 1TB 1x 2TB

HyperX 8GB RAM 2xCrucial 4GB RAM Modules

ASUS P8 Z77lx MB

EVGA 800w PSU Gold

No flashing lights RGB lighting etc which I would like but has low priority and I'm not rich

Maybe due to retire soon but still rolling on
Old 01-06-20, 04:13 PM   #28
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

This message is written on my computer.

I manage after several attempt to reinstall WIN10

Have decide to use this computer as back-up and to use when travelling.

The other computer, which I have mentioned will be my base computer mostly to be used to play game on.

Markus
Old 01-08-20, 02:58 PM   #29
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Got my new computer and have installed new keyboard and mouse.

Only sadness in my happiness of having a lot stronger computer is, there is no dvd/cd driver installed in the computer.

Have to purchase an external driver.

They come cheap.

Edit
I gave you wrong information regarding hardware stuff I have in this new computer.

Graphic card:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti

Processor:
Amd Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor.

End of edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 01-08-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 10:26 PM   #30
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

DVD drives have become almost obsolete since high capacity pen drives have become so cheap and games are all going digital, they are considerably faster and reliable. Lot of PC's don't have a bay to fit a DVD drive anymore.

External drive handy for old games on disc that have not been backed up. Maybe installing Windows too although you can do that of a flash drive/pen drive (same thing)

GTX1660ti Amd Ryzen 5 3600 looks like a good well matched combo should handle 2020 games no problem @ Med/High settings at 1080p.8GB is enough RAM a bit more may help,maybe something for the future,you can just do a re-boot anyhow if you run out.

Need to start thinking about my PC some bits are over 7 years old including the CPU its ok for now but its 4 cores are not going to be enough for much longer and I'm stuck with DDR3 Memory but I've got quite a lot of bits I can carry over