SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-20, 06:34 PM   #1621
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Request for feature

Would it be possible to sharply increase the contrast between warship and merchant sonar lines in an update? Stronger color differentiation would be welcome, but a solution that doesn't depend on color vision would be perfect.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 06:58 PM   #1622
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelintel View Post
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone has pointed it out before but I noticed an inconsistency in the rendering for the Battlecruiser Graf Spee Class. At first I thought there were dark tarps covering aft sections of the ship. However, upon closer examination, it appears three of the gun turrets are 'blacked' out. This same peculiarity occurs in the museum as well as in the game for both FOTRS-UE, V1.0.1gEN and FOTRS-UE, V1.1 EN. However, the glitch does not appear in SH4 V 1.5 without either mega mod.

Game screenshot from FOTRS-UE, V1.1 EN

I used the museum in FOTRS-UE, V1.1 EN for more closeup screenshots below when I went back and noticed the anomaly in the above game screenshot that I had previously saved.

For comparison, I took screenshots from SH4 V1.5 with TMO 2.5. Incidentally, the only difference in the ship rendering from SH4 V1.5 without the mega mod, TMO 2.5, is that the water and sky would appear less vibrant and washed out. Otherwise, the ship rendering appears identical to those as shown below.

Although a minor glitch, I hope it can be fixed so it doesn't detract from the rest of the wonderful artwork when the ship appears elsewhere in the mega mod. I haven't noticed any other visual anomalies (blacked out portions) with the ship renderings in FOTRS-UE, V1.1 EN, thus for now, they all look terrific and I'm enjoying the 'renaissance' of one of my favorite vintage games!

Navelintel
I'm on it... Standby !

----------------------------------
***Update***

Right, this has caused me no ends of problems, no matter what I did, no matter what switch I turned on or off, no matter what "test" models I used, the gun would always have the same outcome, unless I deleted the Unified Render Controller, then the gun would appear, but the ship would turm gold !!! This went back and forth for hours on end.
I even imported the TMO version, and other versions from other SH mods as it "worked" in it's own game, but as soon as it entered the FotRSU ports, I hit the same effect at each turn...

So I have cloned the NCA_Deutschland, changed the ID's, given it a new skin with a slight green razzle dazzle, it's own badge and vola = NBC_GrafSpee is reborn.

@ Daniel, this is a direct copy from the NCA_Deutschland, and the only changes are the skin, badge & fixing of the rear torpedo tubes on both models.. - PM me if you need the dats please..

Last edited by s7rikeback; 08-12-20 at 03:41 PM.
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 03:19 PM   #1623
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
definitely a clue, especially the relation between your two posts... I have never encountered that "This upgrade pack can't be used on your submarine." Message, but the info definitely will help track things down - I hope... I have found some other similar strange behavior, and am now comparing old files, where the Gato upgraded fine, to the newer files...
Propbeanie, After completing my 4th patrol in Gato (the one with no AA gun upgrades per posting above) on 2/19/44 at Pearl Harbor I was given (not offered, given) a bridge refit and 2 40mm Bofors! It's like it held back until I couldn't stand it any more, and then said "oh hell, here, take this and shut up". Whatever, I'm relieved that I finally received the AA upgrade, but still concerned that it took so long and the 20 mm were bypassed completely.

A mystery for future solving to be added to your long list. Thanks!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:23 PM   #1624
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

OK, thanks for that torpedobait. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with the previous statements concerning re-fits and upgrades. For reference, I will link to Ducimus's post from way back when again:

Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements Post #10

Post 10 is the one with the boring details. In brief:
1. When a player qualifies for an upgrade, based upon points and Patrol Renown, they will be offered the next available boat as an upgrade, or if they score high enough, 2 or 3 boats above what they have now, if they are available.
2. If a new submarine is not available, then the player will get a new conning tower, which will then allow new guns and other equipment...
This is why you sometimes do not get a conning tower, even though you need one badly, in order to mount the 40mm guns...

Now, FotRSU, in a continuing effort to "simplify" the update process for the submarines, added more "UpgradeClass" levels to the mod several versions ago, also in an effort to slow the acquisition of a Balao too early for the game's "logic". As such, each boat is considered an "upgrade". This is nice, if you want to advance through the boats, but NOT nice if you want that "new" conning tower on the sub you have. There is almost always a "new" boat available. We have fallen back to a near-Stock number of UpgradeClasses again, and the conning towers do indeed come in a timely fashion now... usually.

Plus, if you look at Ducimus's math in that post link above, you can end up basically with a "divide by zero", which under normal circumstances is a CTD, but in SH4 just means that you have dug yourself a hole that you probably cannot climb out of, if you have a bad patrol during the first or 2nd patrols of a career. This is not cool either, since the boat and conning tower "upgrades" are based on renown ~and~ on Patrol Rating renown... There is no way to "mod" this behaviour out of the game.

Now for an update on the current status of v1.2 - we may have found the issues (multiple) with the SJ radar, maybe even a partial problem with the ST, since it had a similar setting to the SJ, but is a later, not-as-important radar... I cannot find the lineage of the problem (s), but it / they crept into the mod about the same time as the deck gun issue. There were several things done, and I was certain it was a date issue, because it seemed to happen on all of the boats. Then I encountered a string of tests where I had no problems whatsoever of the SJ radar not showing correctly, then a string where it did not show on any of the boats encountered. It did indeed have to do with the boat used, in that it was only the Supported shaft radar... I think we have found the main issue, though there were several smaller ones also (including dates). I do want to especially mention ETR3(SS) for his help in basically walking through the ID and NameDisplayable and other file items, showing what they actually linked to, which helped immensely for clarity... Also, s7rikeback "listened" to more gobble-dee-gook than anyone, and kept a smile on his face, despite what was going on around him at the time... Another day's worth of testing to make certain we have it all, and we will then "build" what we have and hopefully get this out in a few days.
1. Deck guns can now be swapped bow for aft, and vice versa
2. Reminder "circles" put around Pearl, Brisbane, Dutch Harbor, etc., to remind the player to remove their gun crew from the guns, and to Save the game prior to docking.
3. SJ radar that shows when it should, and can be "purchased" early for a renown price.
4. ST radar that shows, but needs more testing to be certain it at least has a semblence to an SJ-I / ST combination.
5. Various other "pretty-ups" and fixes...
Irritating thing is, we will probably have to change the Support folder again... sigh... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 12:06 PM   #1625
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
I'm on it... Standby !

----------------------------------
***Update***

Right, this has caused me no ends of problems, no matter what I did, no matter what switch I turned on or off, no matter what "test" models I used, the gun would always have the same outcome, unless I deleted the Unified Render Controller, then the gun would appear, but the ship would turm gold !!! This went back and forth for hours on end.
I even imported the TMO version, and other versions from other SH mods as it "worked" in it's own game, but as soon as it entered the FotRSU ports, I hit the same effect at each turn...

So I have cloned the NCA_Deutschland, changed the ID's, given it a new skin with a slight green razzle dazzle, it's own badge and vola = NBC_GrafSpee is reborn.

@ Daniel, this is a direct copy from the NCA_Deutschland, and the only changes are the skin, badge & fixing of the rear torpedo tubes on both models.. - PM me if you need the dats please..
Looks great and many thanks for the quick fix!

Navelintel
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 01:01 PM   #1626
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

@s7rikeback - the textures would be useful please unless the main armaments or superstructure has changed. I can then put it in with the battleships and battlecruisers when I get to them.

The heat is making me go slow on the heavy cruisers at the moment. It is just too bright and hot to sit down at the computer for long.
Old 08-14-20, 01:47 PM   #1627
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
@s7rikeback - the textures would be useful please unless the main armaments or superstructure has changed. I can then put it in with the battleships and battlecruisers when I get to them.

The heat is making me go slow on the heavy cruisers at the moment. It is just too bright and hot to sit down at the computer for long.
Hey Daniel,

I Know what you mean about the heat my friend, i'm 361 miles south of you in Oxfordshire, it has been crazy hot.

You have a pm coming your way.
Old 08-15-20, 02:29 PM   #1628
Navelintel
Mate

Default Sabotage or SNAFU?

Greetings to All from the sunny Port of Penang,

During one of my recent U-boat missions sailing from Penang on June 6th, 1943, I discovered that I could not manually control (traverse or elevate) the 3.7 cm FK M 42 Heavy Flak Gun with either the mouse or arrow keys during an intense shootout with a PBY Catalina flying boat while cruising low on batteries and patrolling in shallow waters, north of Cape York in the Torres Strait. I could zoom in and out with the gun site but not much else unless I preferred to ‘sandblast’ the hull rather than direct my fire on enemy aircraft.

After suffering several casualties and limping back to port, I uninstalled and reinstalled both versions of FOTRS to try and remedy the glitch but to no avail. The upgrade for this weapon also does not work in any of the 1944 U-boat missions. However, there was no problem in using the 3.7 cm FK M 42 Heavy Flak Gun in the base game, SH4 1.5, without either mega mod installed.

----------------------

In a follow-up investigation by the chief of base security, it was revealed that the gun muzzle was fused to the aft railing.

Was it an act of sabotage by the local resistance working with SAS operatives or simply a SNAFU due to the lack of vigilance by the maintenance officer who oversaw the work order for my last boat upgrade?

Nevertheless, an investigation by the Kreigsmarine is underway and for now, due to the lapse in supervision and security, the Second Watch Officer and Chief of the Boat of U-196 are restricted to shore duty pending the outcome of a formal Court of Inquiry.

Until then, be sure to always check and test fire your boat’s weaponry after an upgrade before you leave port on patrol. If ever in a pinch, a fully ‘functional’ heavy flak gun like this 'bad boy' can always come in handy!

Navelintel
Old 08-15-20, 07:52 PM   #1629
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:

During one of my recent U-boat missions sailing from Penang on June 6th, 1943, I discovered that I could not manually control (traverse or elevate) the 3.7 cm FK M 42 Heavy Flak Gun with either the mouse or arrow keys during an intense shootout with a PBY Catalina flying boat while cruising low on batteries and patrolling in shallow waters, north of Cape York in the Torres Strait. I could zoom in and out with the gun site but not much else unless I preferred to ‘sandblast’ the hull rather than direct my fire on enemy aircraft.

After suffering several casualties and limping back to port, I uninstalled and reinstalled both versions of FOTRS to try and remedy the glitch but to no avail. The upgrade for this weapon also does not work in any of the 1944 U-boat missions. However, there was no problem in using the 3.7 cm FK M 42 Heavy Flak Gun in the base game, SH4 1.5, without either mega mod installed.

----------------------

In a follow-up investigation by the chief of base security, it was revealed that the gun muzzle was fused to the aft railing.

Was it an act of sabotage by the local resistance working with SAS operatives or simply a SNAFU due to the lack of vigilance by the maintenance officer who oversaw the work order for my last boat upgrade?

Nevertheless, an investigation by the Kreigsmarine is underway and for now, due to the lapse in supervision and security, the Second Watch Officer and Chief of the Boat of U-196 are restricted to shore duty pending the outcome of a formal Court of Inquiry.

Until then, be sure to always check and test fire your boat’s weaponry after an upgrade before you leave port on patrol. If ever in a pinch, a fully ‘functional’ heavy flak gun like this 'bad boy' can always come in handy!

Navelintel
To follow up, this Kreigsmarine investigation, may I propose some new information?

It seems, whatever factory hand made these in 2007, they must had been slightly hungover or half asleep, but there is no excusing your Second Watch Officer and Chief of the Boat, they must have inspected the installation, before they left port.

I fear their heads may have been turned, by the Allies.

GE37mm_M

GE37mm_SA

GE37mm_TSA

I have contacted the arms factory, about a modification to raise the barrels, to a more level starting position.
Old 08-15-20, 11:14 PM   #1630
propbeanie

Quote:

After suffering several casualties and limping back to port, I uninstalled and reinstalled both versions of FOTRS to try and remedy the glitch but to no avail. The upgrade for this weapon also does not work in any of the 1944 U-boat missions. However, there was no problem in using the 3.7 cm FK M 42 Heavy Flak Gun in the base game, SH4 1.5, without either mega mod installed...
First of all, FotRSU is of course, a US Pacific mod, not a German mod. Knowing that some would want to see what it looks like, we did make ship calls compatible so that the game would not crash if you tried to use the Monsun Gruppe. We did not however, "fix" anything on the German side. There are all sorts of mission assignment issues, as well as spawning issues, especially around the docks area. Case in point is Penang, that if you look to the north, there is often a Whale Factory ship that spawns melded into the wharf. Ubisoft did not finish the U-Boat Missions Add-On, just like they never finished anything else with Silent Hunter. Whatever, but we concentrate on the US Pacific side, not the German U-Boats...

Point 2 is that we did nothing to the German submarines, nor did we do anything directly to their weapons - for their submarines. Now, here is the kicker - some parts of the game "share" between the two sides, and that particular weapon may well be used on a German surface vessel, as represented in the US Pacific side, and that may have been tweaked and adjusted for a ship - not the submarine. If such is the case, that could well be the problem, I do not know.

Point 3, you mention "I uninstalled and reinstalled both versions of FOTRS to try and remedy the glitch but to no avail." This is the FotRSU thread, and there is only one version of FotRSU "active", and that is v1.1. We are about to upload and release v1.2, but then v1.1 will go away. There is a "patch" for v1.1, which attempts to eliminate several bad assignments for US subs, but it is a small set of files. Since you use the letters "FOTRS" (an AOTD_MadMax Team mod), I'll mention that while FotRSU is based upon it (which was based upon TMO v1.7) - they are not the same. Also, you cannot use 2 "mega-mods" on top of each other. Just to be clear.

We'll try to look at the gun in FotRSU, but no guarantees we'll be able to do anything, if there is anything FotRSU does do to it. One last thing, when you change mods, be certain you are deleting the Save folder before playing a new configuration, else the same thing can happen from that, having bad data left from a previous game state.

Old 08-16-20, 10:01 PM   #1631
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3
Default Upload Complete

New Release, v1.2 is now available!!!

See
Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - Full Release

Known Issues and Resolutions
  1. (+ / -) Location: All Date(s): All Assignment(s): All Circumstances: TMO style plotting option desired Fix?: No, In process Resolved?: No
  2. (+) Location: End of Soerabaja Date(s): (1 report) Late February into April 1942 Assignment(s): After patrol, home port moved to Fremantle Circumstances: Attempting to end patrol April 13, 1942, CTD Fix?: Should Be Resolved?: We Think So - issues found in Flotillas / PatrolObjectives hand-off with a typo in the Fremantle assignments.
  3. (+/-) Location: Game-wide Date(s): various Assignment(s): All Circumstances: When taking damage internally, steam pipe breaks and Steam Burst.wav file plays. After damages are repaired, audio file continues to play (unable to replicate) Fix?: Maybe - edits completed - tests completed but inconclusive. Audio exceeded 0 db scale, reduced both the pipe burst and the steam sound. Resolved?: Unknown - need player input please!
  4. (+ / -) Location: Game-wide Date(s): full game Assignment(s): All boats Circumstances: Radar dishes are not consistent with rotation Fix?: None yet - new version might help some. Resolved?: Not really.
  5. (+ / -) Location: Possibly All Date(s): Possibly All Assignment(s): S-Boats Circumstances: All boats in the game will experience "changes" to their engine sounds as the game plays, but S-Boats seem more inclined to change to the electric motor sound when on the surface and the player uses TC greater that 8x and another audio event occurs Fix?: Eh... Somewhat. The player can change the engine speed in 1x TC and get the diesel sound back. This reminds me of Airplane (the movie) Resolved?: No - fixed the "Creaks", broke the "Engine" sound... sigh...
  6. (+) Location: Manila Bay Date(s): Possibly All, but seen on December 10, 1941 Assignment(s): All SubsAF early Circumstances: A DD Clemson runs aground near the North Dock Manila Harbor. Unknown at this time as to whether it is in the US_NavalBases or the US_HarborTraffic file yet. Fix?: Yes Resolved?: Looks like it - changed to Armed Trawler, and it does OK now.
===============================================
This list will "disappear" from the first page in a few days, and we can start a new one as the user reports come in.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Alarm!!! Alarm!!! Alarm!!! Use the "525_v1.004_Camera" mod in the Extras folder with caution. We may have broken it.
If you want similar functionality, use
FtT-FotrsU_v0.75_Camera from s7rikeback's Silent Hunter Mod Collection site instead. Activate it last.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
For whatever reason, the "525_v1.004_Camera" mod crashes propbeanie's desktop Win7 install. It might just be a bad download on his computer, or a corrupted file.

Revised 1057 EDST 17-08-2020
We are going to blame propbeanie for this scare - if you all would though, let us know what you find with it, if you use the camera mod. Thank you!

Last edited by FotRSU Mod Team; 08-17-20 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Upload complete
FotRSU Mod Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 07:26 AM   #1632
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Would it be possible to sharply increase the contrast between warship and merchant sonar lines in an update? Stronger color differentiation would be welcome, but a solution that doesn't depend on color vision would be perfect.
Sorry about being distracted by other items, Mios 4Me, but we will attempt to clarify the "color", which probably doesn't show as well as it used to, due to the "environment" of FotRSU. Color in this case, is about the best way to go, since the "dashes" are already numerous and confusing. Add in the fact that we might try to fully engage the radar detector sometime in the future, and that adds a "dark green" line into the mix... You definitely want something (if using such) with easily viewable color differenciation betwen black, red, blue, green, etc., else there is no sense in having the color. We do have several "targeting" mods sitting on the back burner, that hopefully haven't burned to the bottom of their pans yet, from us having to ignore them for more important matters...

Old 08-17-20, 01:47 PM   #1633
Navelintel
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
To follow up, this Kreigsmarine investigation, may I propose some new information?

It seems, whatever factory hand made these in 2007, they must had been slightly hungover or half asleep, but there is no excusing your Second Watch Officer and Chief of the Boat, they must have inspected the installation, before they left port.

I fear their heads may have been turned, by the Allies.

GE37mm_M

GE37mm_SA

GE37mm_TSA

I have contacted the arms factory, about a modification to raise the barrels, to a more level starting position.
Hi s7rikeback,

Here's the latest update on the findings and judgments rendered by the formal Court of Inquiry:

Although there was no evidence of sabotage, the Court found that the lapse was probably due to an overly liberal interpretation of the ambiguous specifications of the work order, issued for the weapon upgrade which required the heavy flag gun to be ‘securely’ mounted to the boat’s deck. Consequently, the work party made darn sure gun’s muzzle was ‘firmly’ welded onto the aft railing as well.

And considering the extensive damage to the boat from an overwhelming and relentless number of enemy aircraft, numerous injuries, and that there were no fatalities, the commander and the crew of U-196 was commended for returning the crew and boat safely to port.

Nevertheless, the former Second Watch Officer, U-196, Leutnant zur See, Friedrich Decker,

has been found guilty of dereliction of duty and hereby demoted of his rank to the rank of Fähnrich zur See (Midshipman) and reassigned as the junior laundry officer aboard the rear area supply ship, Ahnungslos (‘Clueless’).

Former Chief of the Boat, U-196, Stabsoberbootsmann, Herman Dietrich,

has also been found guilty of dereliction of duty and hereby demoted to the rank of Matrosengefreiter (Seaman 2nd class) and reassigned as a machinist mate aboard the coastal tug, Garstig Möwe (‘Nasty Gull’) responsible for towing garbage scows out into the Indian Ocean for the duration.

In a statement later issued from Naval High Command, Berlin, in response to the incident and Court of Inquiry’s ruling:

‘In any crisis, it is essential to have effective and decisive leadership to carry the day. And in the finest tradition of the Kreigsmarine, it is imperative to provide nothing less than a full and unconditional commitment to excellence. And I am confident that every crew and U-boat in our fleet will continue to do their part for the war effort. Therefore, let us endeavor to remember that it is our duty and distinction to be ever vigilant, as we continue the success in our missions . . . ’

Karl Dönitz
Grossadmiral, Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote (BdU)

----------------

So, until the next episode of Kreigsmarine, stay healthy and well!

Navelintel
Old 08-17-20, 03:57 PM   #1634
propbeanie

It is well that your crewmen have already been convicted, mein herr, else they might have received more stern disciplinary actions had it been known how deep this conspiracy runs... Several foreman in the fatherland have also been detained and are being questioned, and they are implicating your crewmen even further... It might just be that they will have to be recalled and put before a tribunal once again... Now, in the family foto below, are there any "familiar" faces? Sources say there may well have been a third participant on your boat... rumor has it, as one of the senior officers... just how "senior", we do not know - as of yet.

----------------------------

It is a simple sim file fix, and is in there from Stock, which may well ignore the file. Tough to say about this game...

If you want to fix it yourself in the meantime, download (or open) Silent 3Ditor, and use it open the Data / Library / GerSubParts / Deck_Gun_GE37mm_M.sim file, click on the plus (+) sign next to 10:wpn_Cannon, then the 11:wpn_Cannon "i" line, then the plus (+) next to obj_Turret, then on the plus (+) next to Elevation. Click on the "min=-10.0", and change the little "Value:" edit box below near the bottom to read "8.6". Back up top, click on the "File" menu, "Save in mod", "Save in New mod folder", and name it something describable, like Ge37mmFotRSUv1.2 or something. Exit S3D, and then activate your mod. Take the boat out for a spin, and shoot-up some un-armed merchant shipping with it...

We'll have a few files to go on top of the v1.2 release shortly... we did find a couple-three other issues.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-17-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 06:30 PM   #1635
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Many thanks for the new iteration! Downloading now....

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote