Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
[...]
I went with the invertor type for fuel economy and the "clean" sin wave output for my electronics, plus they are able to "idle" when the power demand is low so they manage fuel better. And it runs off propane and gasoline, so I can easily store propane for long periods of time, if I can't get gasoline.
Thanks Neal, i am also looking for a dual fuel model, also an inverter type seems like a good idea.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 08:58 AM   #17
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Another plus for inverter generators is they're nowhere near as noisy as conventional generators. And don't forget, depending how close the machine is to any windows or doors a Carbon Monoxide detector might be a good investment too.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 03:29 PM   #18
Catfish

Icon12

ok i found two possible candidates, both "hybrid" types running on propane/butane or gasoline.

Planned to hook it up to the house's fuse box. You have a switch for "island mode", cutting the house energy/fuse box from the grid/net support, then starting the generator and provide the energy from it alone.

1. type: can support the whole house with up to 8000 watts, meaning you could use the oven for cooking, washing machine, fridge, heating a.s.o. at a time without problem. In Germany you need 380 volts for the oven/stove, which the generator also provides (able to generate 230 and 400 Volts simultaneously, several plugs).
But: no clean sinus signal, so you may destroy your laptop or mobile when trying to charge it with this thing. No problem for an electric drill, washing machine, a.s.o. but not suited for delicate electronic devices.

2. type: Also is a 8000 watts generator with inverter technology, providing 230 volts and being less fuel-greedy. But no 380 volts, so no oven/stove.
The advantage of the inverter is less noisy, less consumption, and a clean sinus signal needed to charge laptop, mobile and so on.

I hate it

Old 07-05-22, 07:57 AM   #19
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorpet View Post
What happened to the Containers? You built to live in did you bury them?
There was one shipping container, when I was home from the road I would stay in it. But it was impractical in the Texas summer, so I bought a used camper. Did not bury it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I've used the top section of a metal bunkbed previously to create a storage space near the ceiling in my garage. You can find those either free or practically free and make a storage area over top of the garage door for cheap compared to those that are specifically made for that sort of thing. Old metal bedframes are a great source of angle iron much cheaper than trying to buy it at the hardware store. People throw them away quite often too.

It looks like you could only get very skinny items above your garage door, but it still might be worthwhile.
Yeah, sounds right, having something like that laying around, would be a smart way to get the bed out of the way and have storage at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Another plus for inverter generators is they're nowhere near as noisy as conventional generators. And don't forget, depending how close the machine is to any windows or doors a Carbon Monoxide detector might be a good investment too.
Yes exactly, they are quieter. Mine is not silent, but it is a volume that does not rattle my teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
ok i found two possible candidates, both "hybrid" types running on propane/butane or gasoline.

Planned to hook it up to the house's fuse box. You have a switch for "island mode", cutting the house energy/fuse box from the grid/net support, then starting the generator and provide the energy from it alone.

1. type: can support the whole house with up to 8000 watts, meaning you could use the oven for cooking, washing machine, fridge, heating a.s.o. at a time without problem. In Germany you need 380 volts for the oven/stove, which the generator also provides (able to generate 230 and 400 Volts simultaneously, several plugs).
But: no clean sinus signal, so you may destroy your laptop or mobile when trying to charge it with this thing. No problem for an electric drill, washing machine, a.s.o. but not suited for delicate electronic devices.

2. type: Also is a 8000 watts generator with inverter technology, providing 230 volts and being less fuel-greedy. But no 380 volts, so no oven/stove.
The advantage of the inverter is less noisy, less consumption, and a clean sinus signal needed to charge laptop, mobile and so on.

I hate it
So, your stove and oven are electric? I think I would go with the option #2, you can always use a propane camp burner or camp stove. The invertor is going be better all around.

Depends a lot on a. how often your power goes out and b. how long the outages last. I can get by with a hotplate for a few days, easy. My stove/oven is gas, so that's not a problem, but if I had to, a camp stove would be fine, if the outages did not last more than a week.

I agree with you about the grid lockout switch, smart.
Old 07-05-22, 08:01 AM   #20
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Made some progress: Took down the cabinet/enclosure, disassembled it.

Got the heavy load shelf placed, leveled and confirmed the car's position. I've got a foot or two of margin, that's fine.

finished the framing, I think I will have a cabinet for my compressor, too, will help cut down on the noise (a little). Test fit some of my totes, good fit. This shelf is supported by the floor so heavy objects can go here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211013_112154255.jpg (29.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211015_095758869.jpg (23.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211016_122007526.jpg (39.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211016_144013801.jpg (41.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-05-22, 09:45 AM   #21
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

^ let me know when you have it finished, Neal. I have some motorcycles, engines and the odd assortment of parts tucked away in big, nice plastic trunk / containers.

I need a place to store them

On the other hand, my lady told me if I drag anymore motorcycles or parts home, I will be living under the deck with the groundhogs, bunnies and other assorted wild life. So, I might need a place to live before it's all over.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 06:58 AM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Hey, I'm building this to decrease the clutter, not add to it

More progress, added the work top, some shelves, pegboard and a good LED light.

First time installing a piano hinge, got a door cut and hung for the compressor section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211019_164407738_HDR.jpg (38.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211022_172427753_HDR.jpg (38.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-06-22, 07:44 AM   #23
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Hey, I'm building this to decrease the clutter, not add to it
I also thought i had a chance..
Looks nice

Old 07-06-22, 08:22 AM   #24
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

That ain't nothing with the saw, we got a guy up here in the mountains that can get guitar, fiddle, banger, drums and bass songs out of his saw,

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 10:52 AM   #25
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Don't forget some thick steel and a gun port in the bottom section of your garage door so you can hold off the barbarian horde if need be from the prone position.

https://www.armortex.com/gun-ports/
Old 07-06-22, 11:47 AM   #26
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, it's so hot outside, I'm taking the day off

Next step: repair and paint the wall, mount the light shelf, and then add the wall pegboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211022_172442105.jpg (36.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-08-22, 01:10 PM   #27
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Maximizing space and storage is a must in any garage. But no matter what your final build looks like there is always room to improve. Trust me here, two Buicks and garden implements/tools take up some room!
Old 07-08-22, 04:18 PM   #28
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Here's another thing that would be really nice in the garage. I think it would work for changing oil too.

Old 07-09-22, 10:21 PM   #29
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Got some stuff done!

Wall patched and painted

Light duty shelf mounted

Added another shelf to use the space over the fridge!

Next: large tool wall section.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211028_155118546_HDR.jpg (26.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211028_181010309.jpg (31.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211029_164213257.jpg (40.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-09-22, 10:32 PM   #30
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

If you have the time check to see if you have a ‘rolling code’ remote garage door opener. The older ones that have pot switches can easily be defeated and next thing ya know all your beer is missing.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home, project