SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-19, 09:20 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Support Crew Management Questions

A few questions:

I have a GATO class sub

1. I have a few candidates I like for their specialties I would add to the crew but the game says I have to many officers. OK got it, I need to replace someone. I may wait if the next class of boat allows for more crew, specifically officers. Does it?

2. I have a few crew that 'devloped' new abilities but require a radio room. I dont have a radio room on the GATO class. Is that a future upgrade of a new class of boat that has a radio room.

3. How valuable is experience. In other words, if I replace a crewmember with a new guy with zero experience, but with a specialty is that worse than keeping the old crew?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 10:26 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
A few questions:
I have a GATO class sub
1. I have a few candidates I like for their specialties I would add to the crew but the game says I have to many officers. OK got it, I need to replace someone. I may wait if the next class of boat allows for more crew, specifically officers. Does it?
in a word, no. if you want to be able to have more officers and/or NCO's (or even more rated petty officers) you will have to learn how to use Notepad and edit the boat-savefile.

Quote:
2. I have a few crew that 'devloped' new abilities but require a radio room. I dont have a radio room on the GATO class. Is that a future upgrade of a new class of boat that has a radio room.
in this model, the Conning Tower is the radio room. not historically correct. some mega-mods correct this by adding a radio room. not to worry, just make the mental adjustment and treat the conning tower as the radio room.

Quote:
3. How valuable is experience. In other words, if I replace a crewmember with a new guy with zero experience, but with a specialty is that worse than keeping the old crew?
experience is less important than rate which adds to skill, although the crew will need the one (experience) to qualify for a higher rate which brings a higher skill. chicken-and-egg conundrum.
skill is also a function of rating. typically a 3/c will have more skill than a seaman, and a 2/c will have more skill that a 3/c and so on.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 12:04 PM   #3
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Support

Thanks for the answers.

When someone is ranked with a skill, for example watchmen at 80, does that skill move up as the person stays in the shift or just the experience moves?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 12:13 PM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default radar & sonar in conning tower

<in this model, the Conning Tower is the radio room. not historically correct. some mega-mods correct this by adding a radio room. not to worry, just make the mental adjustment and treat the conning tower as the radio room.>

There's a 6 man position Conning Tower (Radio Room) on the Crew Management page made up as 3 shifts of 2 men. The 1st position is radar and the 2nd position is sonar for each shift. For what it might be worth to know, if you remove a man while on duty, his radar or sonar figure in the conning tower will be vacant.

Also, there's a mod that allows for more officers and petty officers. It is Crew Rank Fix - Stock - Mod
It should be in the download section.

I try to pick all basic seamen with 100 pts as watchmen, mechanical & electrical. All seamen with less get tossed.

Last edited by von Zelda; 08-27-19 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 03:11 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
Thanks for the answers.

When someone is ranked with a skill, for example watchmen at 80, does that skill move up as the person stays in the shift or just the experience moves?
skill changes with rank.
if you have a S1c assigned to the Deck Watch and he has a watchman skill = 80, the only way he will increase that skill is if you promote him to PO 3/c.
that man will not increase his skill level just by completing missions on your boat as a S1c
that is the way the game is designed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote