SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-19, 02:45 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Mark 14 Torpedos during daylight attacks

I have notice that due to the wake of the Mark 14 that ships tend to see the torpedos last minute and take evasive action. I was attacking a liner and I had to replay the attack twice before I could get the right solution to sink them. They traveled at 20kts and I attacked at 90 degrees.
I was 2400 yards out.

Just wondering if that attack would have been better at night and would a Mark 18 have been better? Or maybe get closer next time?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 03:15 PM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Torpedo accuracy

Just my humble opinion here. I generally strive to get as close as possible, under 2000 meters, preferably 1000 - 1500 meters, and forward of the target which results in a 30 to 60-degree AOB. It's harder for the approaching target to a evade an oncoming torpedo even by increasing speed and/or evasion because the time & distance of torpedo to target is constantly decreasing. Plus, if the first misses, you still should have a relatively good second shot from the front or rear tubes.

I've come to this conclusion because I seem to have a poor percentage of hits at fleeing targets.

Also, a night time attack SHOULD increase your percentages but I don't know how well its factored into the simulation.

The Mark 18 if my memory is correct is a much slower torpedo, 29-knots at a max range of 3650 meters vs. 46 knots at a max range of 4100 meters. I assume the advantage would be no wake or bubble trail if that is factored in. But, the speed of the Mark 14 may outweigh its less stealthy ability? Also, this does not take into account the probability of duds.

All that said, if you were using homing torpedoes, a position to the side or rear (AOB 90-180 degrees) might likely be preferable.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Last edited by von Zelda; 08-25-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 05:10 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Agree that closer is better with the Mk14s. I use 1500 yards for convoys to see more ships in the convoy and 1000 yds for single ships to get 30-40 second run times.
I've had a few merchants successfully avoid torps at distance, or if it passes ahead of the merchant enroute to a target farther away... I prefer having the choice of speed on the Mk14 and have had only occasional issues with the bubble trail being spotted (I think... who knows what lurks in the silicon brain of the AI)

Haven't tried setting up for an acute AOB and the logic seems solid. The concern I have is the "width" of the target and subsequent hit could be a problem with distance

One thing to watch for is whether the merchant is actively zig zagging before the shot... timing for a broadside hit becomes an issue.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-26-19 at 04:28 PM.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 06:23 PM   #4
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I agree with everything already said. The closer you are, the better aim you have, and the less opportunity for the target to evade. Don't use the Mk14 set for distance. It's slow, and the target will have plenty of time to see the wake and evade. Close range, the Mk14 gets to the target quick. Mk18 takes a little longer, but there's no wake. I like to get close, so when the 18 comes available, I like to switch over to that.