SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-22, 06:52 AM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

5th Fleet by Victory Games, I did not own it (but 6th and 2nd), but it was I think the third installment of the Fleet series (after 6th and 2nd Fleet), and some Subsim member, I now recall, has told me many years ago that there is a PC version of it, but somehow it dropped off my radar screen again, unchecked. My bad. Here it is, I will later see what I can make with it, I have never used DOS box before.

The boardgame design of the Fleet series was always pleasant and well done, I think. Once you got familiar with it you were able to see how much detail and realism has gone into it, it just can easily escape your awareness if you skim just on its surface.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/5th-fleet-2b6
Old 02-12-22, 10:23 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

In eSim's Steel Beasts Pro forum there is a years-long running thread on tabletop cosims with now 37 pages. Plenty and plenty of tabletops being mentioned and pointed out.

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11699-wargames/
Old 02-13-22, 09:46 AM   #33
Skybird
Soaring

5th Fleet works, and relatively easy it is to get it running.

Being I think the third title in the Fleet tabletop series, I think some minor changes to the earlier boardgames' mechanisms have been made, also, the computer adaptation is known to be slightly different, not a total 1:1 conversion of the boardgame. Still, its easy to recognise that this is a game from the Fleet series. But it feels different to play, because all the time-consuming table consultations and book-keepngn of the tabletop game is being done by the computer here, and you have unit description screens instead of the beautifully designed counters of the tabletop, so handling and feel is quite different.

Just the "music" - your first action must be to switch it off. :LOL:

For those interested in the matter its worth a look. I rate it'S likeability with a C+, whereas I would rate Flight Commander 2 with an A.

For comparison: unboxing the tabletop version of 5th Fleet.
Old 02-13-22, 09:59 AM   #34
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I still have this dream about a massive Board Game played by correspondence by many of us here on SubSim.

What type of game it should be I don't know-maybe a air-sea-landbattle game.
I do not know either how it would be done.

Could think that we find a board game and those of us who want to take part buy this game.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 10:20 AM   #35
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I still have this dream about a massive Board Game played by correspondence by many of us here on SubSim.

What type of game it should be I don't know-maybe a air-sea-landbattle game.
I do not know either how it would be done.

Could think that we find a board game and those of us who want to take part buy this game.

Markus
I do not know this game system, only heard of it. The series is famous, and long-lasting since the late 80s.

2-6 players:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1499/world-flames

Computer version (for the interface only, it has no AI, AFAIK)
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/world-in-flames

Quote:
This title does not include an AI player in the initial release. It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames, including an integrated multiplayer forum and an official multiplayer server for easy player matching and networking
The world map accurately depicts terrain at 90 kilometers per hex showing all major rivers, coastlines, island chains, and mountain ranges
Thousands of units with quantified historical capabilities from hundreds of different countries
Detailed simulation of the interactions between land, sea, and air forces on a global scale
8 major powers: Germany, Italy, Japan, China, Commonwealth, France, USA, USSR
250+ countries. 70,200 hexes (195 hex rows high by 360 hex columns around)
12 terrain types: Clear, Forest, Swamp, Jungle, Mountain, Desert, Desert-mountain, Ice, Lake, Sea, Qattara Depression, and Tundra
4000+ named locations on the map
5000+ unique bitmapped hexes for coastal terrain
7000+ unique bitmapped hexes for rivers
70 unit types
Detailed unique bitmapped images for 1200 air units and 1000 capital ships. Convoy pipelines, overseas supply lines, and historically accurate rail lines worldwide
If "major powers" translates into number of players, its for up to 8 players then.

Myself, I do not have the space in my flat for such monumental projects that block space for days, weeks, if not months (and if I had, i would rehab squirrels...). Also, WWII is not that much my interest. The map for the tabletop version covered a whole wall.
Old 02-13-22, 10:59 AM   #36
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

You may have misunderstod what I meant.

This Board game does exist-We only have to pick which one-Here I'm thinking on a list and from this list we chose a board game.

Number of players max shall be 12.

Each of us who take part in this game play buy this board game.

Following is hard to explain-Closest I can come up with is Correspondence Chess

I make some move in my turnus-I post this in a thread-Those who take part in the game-move my bricks(they are placed on every board games) and I move others turnus on my board game.

Markus

Old 02-13-22, 11:54 AM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

Oh, play via forum, now I see, well, I think that will not work well - too complex.

I and quite some guys in the forum played each other in chess, 2009 and around that year, and more, posting a board with the positions after every move, well, that worked. But a complex cosim with a huge map? I have my doubts. Somewhere all the loose strings must come together and need a central administrator to keep things flowing, and conformal with rules.

I think we had this talk before, hadnt we?

2009 it was. Damn, time is fleeting. Thats 13 years ago already...
Old 02-13-22, 12:10 PM   #38
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

You whip up a good Game of Risk?
Count Me in!
My Board Game versions go back to the Original wooden pieces.
Then I have several other versions including the Lord of the Rings version!
Old 02-13-22, 12:24 PM   #39
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

/\ That was a college sport for me in '71 (sophomore year). I still have my (60+ yr.old)original wooden piece game in the original battered box in my bedroom closet. All we talk about at reunions are the Risk games...and Hamm's beer! My double-six dice throwing on defence was legendary on wintery all-night sessions in the dorm...perhaps better spent cramming for organic chemistry?? My daughter has yet to beat "the old man"...but holds her own at Monopoly! I pissed off the wife a few years back when I made putting the box and its contents back together #1 task after the last Napa quake; instead of cleaning up the shattered porcelain in the kitchen...a man has gotta have his priorities in order. The Risk box is securely taped;... and all the cabinets now haves 'quake latches...for eventual quake #3!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-13-22 at 01:30 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 12:42 PM   #40
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh, play via forum, now I see, well, I think that will not work well - too complex.

I and quite some guys in the forum played each other in chess, 2009 and around that year, and more, posting a board with the positions after every move, well, that worked. But a complex cosim with a huge map? I have my doubts. Somewhere all the loose strings must come together and need a central administrator to keep things flowing, and conformal with rules.

I think we had this talk before, hadnt we?

2009 it was. Damn, time is fleeting. Thats 13 years ago already...
We have had this discussion before It was I who made a thread about it-You right it would be to complex. The idea popped up again when I read this thread about RL Board games
As they say Dreams a free.

Markus

Old 02-13-22, 02:47 PM   #41
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
/\ That was a college sport for me in '71 (sophomore year). I still have my (60+ yr.old)original wooden piece game in the original battered box in my bedroom closet. All we talk about at reunions are the Risk games...and Hamm's beer! My double-six dice throwing on defence was legendary on wintery all-night sessions in the dorm...perhaps better spent cramming for organic chemistry?? My daughter has yet to beat "the old man"...but holds her own at Monopoly! I pissed off the wife a few years back when I made putting the box and its contents back together #1 task after the last Napa quake; instead of cleaning up the shattered porcelain in the kitchen...a man has gotta have his priorities in order. The Risk box is securely taped;... and all the cabinets now haves 'quake latches...for eventual quake #3!??

Ah, Risk! I didn't have the money to buy the game from Parker (in this country), and my parents found it too expensive for the game material offered, so I never got it as a gift. So I often borrowed it from the library. At some point I traced it on a large sheet of tracing paper, and stretched it on thick white cardboard. These cross-shaped tile spacers from the hardware store were painted by me with Plaka paints, so we call here very solid colors, which one also uses for stone painting for example, rather already a varnish. The playing cards I transferred to index cards. And then I played on this setup with my three closest friends from the class. Excessively.
Old 02-13-22, 02:57 PM   #42
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I and several of My closest friends played Risk every weekend until around 10 years ago.
I'm currently trying to get a Game together again in a crazy way!
I'm doing a voice message that sounds like JigSaw to send to the Old Gang!

Maybe you can help edit my Script?

Hello Terry.
Like all of Humanity the cold of winter has you and our friends Rick and Dave hiding indoors to escape the fridged cold life throws at us all.
Each Harboring the false idea they could win the Game of risk when facing one as skilled as I!
Each bearing the mental scars of defeat in past meetings!
Each holding on to the dream that just maybe this time they can rise up out of the mud of past defeats! Maybe just this once they can be the Victor!

The Clock is ticking Terry!
Only by accepting this challenge will each of you know if You are good enough!
Tick Tock Tick Tock! (Evil laughter)

I'm using Audacity to record and adjust the recorded sound tracks.
It's intended to sound kind of like this

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 02-13-22 at 03:20 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 04:10 PM   #43
Skybird
Soaring

The kid could not be accused of lacking creativity!
Old 02-13-22, 04:45 PM   #44
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

https://www.mediafire.com/file/151hp...12mp3.mp3/file

What do you think?

I did learn one must speak slower and allow a pause between words but I'm just an amateur.
Probably should use a real microphone instead of the Notebooks built in also.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 02-13-22 at 04:55 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 05:23 PM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Like all of Humanity the cold of winter has you and our friends Rick and Dave hiding indoors to escape the fridged cold life throws at us all.
Each Harboring the false idea they could win the Game of risk when facing one as skilled as I!
Each bearing the mental scars of defeat in past meetings!
Each holding on to the dream that just maybe this time they can rise up out of the mud of past defeats! Maybe just this once they can be the Victor!
U R as twisted as I and the dormmates were...half a century ago! One night in particular still lingers: the game had started at 10 PM an was is still at full tilt around 3AM upon returning from a potty break, everyone started laughing and announced 'I was the winner'??! They confessed they'd been passing the conquest cards "under the table" in a cabal effort to eradicate my yellow armies from the board...all night long and I simply wouldn't cave in. We always played French Rules: cards dealt up to determines board start positions; with first wild card up to start first. It made for a faster, brutal game with fewer armies.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote